Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Picture Thread 2010

23K views 188 replies 40 participants last post by  Internal14 
#1 ·
Since the Random Pic Thread hit 101 post, I thought I'd start a new one! for 2010. :D

So, got out on a solo run Sunday am. Winter time in Nor Cal when it's not raining means fog... and for Sunday, LOTS of it..

From the Freeway start(pic1), to the trail head(pic 2) to the beach shots(Pic 3), fog, fog, fog, fog everywhere! This what the million dollar homes of "Los Lagos" get to see! (Pic 4)

Only the Granite seemed to be at home. (Pic 5) and it made it look like a trail to nowhere! (pic 6).

I took some of the trail home with me..(Pic 7) ....Pic 8 is just to get some Ventana content.

OLE!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Aaron, that just looks cold, damp and foggy!!!! :-O

Still in the mid 70's and sunny here in SoCal. Maybe rain by mid week? The in-laws up north of SAC said it was nasty foggy up your way.

Well, 2010 here we are!

#4 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
I will take cold, damp and foggy any day over mid 70's. It keeps all the fair weather trails users sipping their latte's at Starbucks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
4life- you are scarily accurate there. I ran into only one other person riding on Sunday.

However that probably had more to do with them showing up later to do the trailwork and not riding that morning.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Here's how my Sunday ride looked like..... I had not ridden in weeks and to top it off I decided to take the Terremoto out...as you can imagine I was dead tired after almost 3 hours in the snow

My buddy Adrian had to do lots of waiting :p

For some Ventana content, I am trying wide flat bars on the Vs now :)

#12 ·
Here are a few racey pics of my Ventana El Commandante in action.

Raced this weekend in the Folsom Rodeo Cross event and entered Open Single Speed division. This is not your average cyclocross type course and while there are barriers and stair run ups and long flat grass sections, there is also a lot of singletrack and as a result, the field is roughly split 60% cross bikes and 40% on mountain bikes (or something close to that maybe).

I had a rough start to my race as I dropped a chain on the first lap causing me to lose over a minute getting it back on, but luckily, an hour long race gave me plenty of time to catch back up and take 1st out of 8 in my class :)

Peectures:

Dropped chain first lap, cursing loudly:

chain back on and rolling:

giving it 110% to catch back up:

Pictures courtesy of Jeff Namba and Mike Upchurch from Mad Cat Bikes (www.madcatbikes.com) in Sacto (btw, if anyone ever needs a 15% friends & family discount card/code from Mad Cat, send me a PM. Good for in store or web site orders)

#13 ·
Tyrone Shoelaces said:
Here are a few racey pics of my Ventana El Commandante in action..

I had a rough start to my race as I dropped a chain on the first lap causing me to lose over a minute getting it back on, )
Wait a minute....singlespeeder dropping their chain? How'd that happen anyway? I thought the whole idea of singlespeeding was less problems?:madman:

just busting balls man....:p

#14 ·
Internal14 said:
Wait a minute....singlespeeder dropping their chain? How'd that happen anyway? I thought the whole idea of singlespeeding was less problems?:madman:

just busting balls man....:p
haha...no worries. A single speeder that drops his chain deserves to get his balls busted :D

I think what happened is that the EBB slipped a little. Just that morning before the race, I took my 34T sprocket off and threw on a 36T and I was kinda hasty in tightening everything back up (I think). I rode over to the race from my house in the morning and things were fine. In my warmup laps, everything was fine. And for the first lap, when we were all bunched up together and I wasn't really racing and accelerating at 100% yet, it was fine.

But at the very end of the first lap, I stomped on the gas to make a pass and get moving, and POP!!!!. I thought I blew up my chain when I heard it, it was such a loud noise, but then I looked down and the chain was off both the sprocket and the rear cog. And when I got it back on the chain was way more loose than when I set it up in the morning. So I'm guessing EBB slipped a little when I torqued on it super hard. Luckily whatever position it ended up in was good enough to hold for the rest of the race and allow me to finish and come back.

#20 ·
Some recent post-fire shots, out with the Chamuco.

BTW, I'd struggled with the Chamuco build for a while--even tried to sell it with a 150mm Z1 and Romic coil. The bike never really felt agile with a bigger, heavier fork. So, no one bought it (luckily), and the frame ended up sitting around for a year. Then I took a look at my Salty, which had grown overforked anyway with a 140mm Vanilla (guess I'd been trying to turn it into a CiclĂłn) and had a moment of inspiration: why not swap out the parts from the Salty to the Chamuco? Turns out, built up AM with the Vanilla and a Float shock, the Chamuco sprang to life. Still plenty slack, low bb, stiff (installed thru-axle main pivot and 10mm thru-bolt hub), great suspension, and light. This setup just smokes.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Santa Monica Mountains (Los Angeles) 2.21.10

Last weekend we were able to get one good ride in, the Backbone trail into Will Rodgers State Park. After rain early in the week, things dried out on Saturday giving us a chance to get in the 20 mile loop on Sunday. I'm not often the one in my photographs, as I'm usually the one taking them. Anyway, my goofy mug aboard the Terremoto, happy to be out on the trail. (a little artistic license with the image too.).

#22 ·
SkiRacer said:
Just got this bad boy roll'n. Semi custom front end (tall height, medium length)
Full XX Groupo
Hope II hubs laced to Stans Archs
26.0lbs with pedals
Most importantly it makes me smile when I ride it.
That photo was taken in Bend Oregon at WebCyclery! Awesome shop. Nice BIKE!! They service my Ventanas as well.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.