Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

low res pics pulled from facebook

Team Fearless Descender
    March 4, 2010

Solo pre B-Day ride. Twenty five years of mountain biking now! Local ride in the Santa Monica Mtns. Temps in the upper 60's.

"...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    March 4, 2010

Solo pre B-Day ride. Twenty five years of mountain biking now! Local ride in the Santa Monica Mtns. Temps in the upper 60's.

nice shot, the forced flash really brought the bike clearly into the foreground.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I put this one in the seemingly dead action thread. Riding in digging clothes because we were cutting the trail...had to size this one up for a while. It is about 30' downhill from the top ladder and is much bigger...4+ at the end of the ladder...angled slightly up and lands you 15-20' out on the transition. That is most likely as big as I have gone...yet!

Last edited by CharacterZero; 03-05-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    nice shot, the forced flash really brought the bike clearly into the foreground.

Thanks Zero. Often I ride with my Canon G10 (and occasionally an external Canon Speedlite too), and while it is a great camera, it does suffer from the shutter lag that many of the P&S type cameras do. For my solo ride I crammed my older DSLR body (Canon 20D), and I do mean crammed, into my CamalBak. Took that, one lens, mini tripod and my wireless remote. Having only the built in flash of the 20D, I wished I had a bigger / more powerful flash. Hard to balance the bright sun of a cloudless day with that little twinky built in flash.

Looking for a more photo specific hydration pack for photo rides. Looking at these guys: Clik Elite Have seen there stuff in reviews and at the PMA show here in Los Angeles last month. Great quality stuff. They are located in St. George, UT... Hummmm... maybe an excuse for a Utah trip. Maybe if I'm really nice, I'll get one for my birthday this weekend!

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Zero. Often I ride with my Canon G10 (and occasionally an external Canon Speedlite too), and while it is a great camera, it does suffer from the shutter lag that many of the P&S type cameras do.
    Yeah, I considered the G10 when my G9 was lifted. I went with the LX3 instead...first time to stray from Canon, but I don't regret it one bit. Still chuggin up that learnin' curve and aspire to one day have a dSLR.

I do think a speedlight needs to be my next piece of equipment though...built-in flash is horrible for almost every situation! And I am learning to deal with the direct sun as well, as that is about what we get here in TX>

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Still chuggin up that learnin' curve...
    I do think a speedlight needs to be my next piece of equipment though...built-in flash is horrible for almost every situation!

You've got some great shots, the ones I've seen anyway. A true DSLR is really almost impossible to beat. I don't have any hands on time with the LX3, but the reviews (dpreview.com is a good one, I'm sure you've surfed there) are very impressive, so I can't say. But the number one thing, for me that a DSLR has, is the instant shutter release and the high speed continuous drive mode(s). And yes, an external, high guide number flash is a necessity for outdoor photography. Many people think, hey the sun is out, I don't need my flash!?!?, but you can get a better shot on a cloudy dark day without flash than you can on a sunny one!

Check out this guys stuff, http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithpyt/ He has great technique, and there is some definite post processing going on, but number one is his use of (and often more than one) high power strobe. Stuff that he does he can not "ride in" with, but must hike in. The lighting equipment is just to big / heavy. But you can do some amazing things with one or two external flashes.

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You've got some great shots, the ones I've seen anyway. A true DSLR is really almost impossible to beat. I don't have any hands on time with the LX3, but the reviews (dpreview.com is a good one, I'm sure you've surfed there) are very impressive, so I can't say. But the number one thing, for me that a DSLR has, is the instant shutter release and the high speed continuous drive mode(s). And yes, an external, high guide number flash is a necessity for outdoor photography. Many people think, hey the sun is out, I don't need my flash!?!?, but you can get a better shot on a cloudy dark day without flash than you can on a sunny one!

Check out this guys stuff, http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithpyt/ He has great technique, and there is some definite post processing going on, but number one is his use of (and often more than one) high power strobe. Stuff that he does he can not "ride in" with, but must hike in. The lighting equipment is just to big / heavy. But you can do some amazing things with one or two external flashes.
    Yeah, thanks man!
    Some great points there on how the dSLR is better for this type of shooting - I hadn't considered the instant shutter release aspect before, and of course, the continuous drive is of utmost importance (one of the reasons I went LX3 over the G10 is that it was a bit faster).
    Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.
    JV

Ultra Ventanaphile

Wtf?

8" with 4 pots? Dude you weigh a buck fiddy!! You can probably pull of some serious skids!

Happy Pre-Birthday!

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    8" with 4 pots?
    -A

Hey now, you know me, go big or don't go at all. Even if the "big" is only the brakes!

Another from yesterday. (Please note the HOPE vented rotor!)

Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey now, you know me, go big or don't go at all. Even if the "big" is only the brakes!

Another from yesterday. (Please note the HOPE vented rotor!)

sweeeet.

Team Fearless Descender
    Ok, so nothing too knar to be sure, but just look at that friggen weather! Mid 70ís, flowers blooming, and deep blue sky with puffy clouds. Fun little section of trail in NW Los Angeles. (2 Ĺ minutes)

Sycamore Cyn - Wood Cyn Vista Trail - March 2010 from El Salt on Vimeo.

Stuff

Keep Singletrack Single
    Nice video! I like the music! Rush.....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quit looking at the camera! (At the beginning)

Nice conditions, we finally have some sunshine this week here in Norcal this weekend should be epic!

-A
    -Aaron G.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Quit looking at the camera!

-A

You know me, I'm a camera hog!

Stuff

mtbr member

Picture Thread 2010

El Salt-

Wrap your thumbs underneath your bars before you kill yourself. I've never seen anyone ride like that unless climbing.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredbadams
    El Salt-

Wrap your thumbs underneath your bars...
    Huh, never realized that. I mean, I guess maybe that technique isn't "correct"? In 25yrs of riding, I've only once had a wreck because of loosing grip on the bar, but I will be aware of my position going forward. At least experiment with hand position. (Honestly, thank you.)

Stuff

Team Chilidog!
    Low flying tiger seen yesterday.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Ultra Ventanaphile
    One from Friday Afternoon..

South Shore Trail Lake Natoma - Solo Ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture Thread 2010-pict0028sm.jpg  

-Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My El terremoto Some tuning left, but you get the picture..
    Got a issue with brake-rotor and fork clearing, any tips? Centerlock disc instead of adapter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture Thread 2010-ventana-1.jpg  

Picture Thread 2010-ven-2.jpg  

Picture Thread 2010-ven-3.jpg  

Picture Thread 2010-ven4.jpg  

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..it seems like your adapter is pretty thick...

perhaps you could try thinner adapters like the DT Swiss, Magura or Shimano?

RCC
    Bandolero

Two from yesterday...

Regrouping and my rig...peace
    RCC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture Thread 2010-p3301245.jpg  

Picture Thread 2010-p3301246.jpg  

I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Team Fearless Descender
    RCC,

Iíve been following your build here on the Ventana board, on the other thread, but havenít yet chimed in. Anyway, looking really sweet. BTW, great looking trails there in NM. Iíve been out to UT, CO, AZ, etc., but havenít made it over to NM. Looks like Iíd better bump it up on my list!

Stuff

Team Fearless Descender

Made it into MTB Action, but...

Hey! We are magazine stars! You can find me, on my Terremoto, and Lori my wife on her Knolly, in the May edition of "Mountain Bike Action" on page 36! The pics are from our ride on the JEM Trail outside of Hurricane, Utah. Too bad they got our last name and city wrong.

Stuff

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast