mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pedal Bob - Gone?

How much of the dreaded pedal bob is gone with the new designs? I'm looking for riders who have upgraded from the old version to the newer version of Ventana frame.

Ex: 2010 El Rey to 20112 El Rey
    Last edited by wipp; 01-18-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spel chuk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    How much of the dreaded pedal bob is gone with the new designs? I'm looking for riders who have upgraded from the old version to the newer version of Ventana frame.

OK, After some digging through the forum:

• Some loss of small bump compliance
    • Less bob
    • Rides higher in travel
    • Doesn't rely on Pro Pedal as much

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I can say the new design is totally different to the previous one. I have been riding various Ventana frames for the last eight years and the shock setup was most important to get the best ride. I have never been that bothered about a bit of movement whilst pedalling but a lot of riders have become paranoid about the suspension moving when pedalling. My wife has also changed to the new design and for the first few rides was convinced her shock was locked out as the ride had changed so much compared to her older El Ciclon. All suspension designs will move to various degrees under pedal power no matter what the hype says. All I can say is the new Ventana frames are very good under pedal power, I use the softest setting on the shock and have no problems with the dreaded pedal bob.
    AJR

Neg reppers r my biatches
    subjective based on a lot of things...i had an older El Rey and to date remains my favorite FS, period. Pedal bob is a marketing term that people like to e-masturbate to far too often since a ride has so many parameters anyway. that is my PRO REVIEW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not to interrupt you in mid stroke or anything... but did you move from the older El Rey to the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    subjective based on a lot of things...i had an older El Rey and to date remains my favorite FS, period. Pedal bob is a marketing term that people like to e-masturbate to far too often since a ride has so many parameters anyway. that is my PRO REVIEW

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I traded in my 2010 El Rey for a shiny new Zuess that just got dropped off! Wow, what a pretty frame. I'll have it built up by the end of the week and out to Tokul on Saturday for some play. I really disliked the El Rey with the long travel rockers but was mostly satisfied with it in the mode it was designed for, but the pedal bob was a real issue for me with that frame. The beast that was just dropped off looks like a whole other animal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    I can say the new design is totally different to the previous one. I have been riding various Ventana frames for the last eight years and the shock setup was most important to get the best ride. I have never been that bothered about a bit of movement whilst pedalling but a lot of riders have become paranoid about the suspension moving when pedalling. My wife has also changed to the new design and for the first few rides was convinced her shock was locked out as the ride had changed so much compared to her older El Ciclon. All suspension designs will move to various degrees under pedal power no matter what the hype says. All I can say is the new Ventana frames are very good under pedal power, I use the softest setting on the shock and have no problems with the dreaded pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Welcome to the Zeus brotherhood! Here is mine...haven;t had a chance to ride it, Montana winter is not too bike friendly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal Bob - Gone?-zeus.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice Color JC822

Looks like I need some new stuff:

BB30 BB
    Inset Headset
    Learn how to run hydo lines through frame?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal Bob - Gone?-photo.jpg  

Team Chilidog!

I upgraded from an X-5 to a Ciclon 2012. Significant difference in the bikes, night and day actually.

Both frames I have ridden with the CCDB and the Fox Float Air shocks. With the CCDB, I had to dial in a lot of low speed compression (LSC)on the X-5 to get the bob out, but I needed far less LSC clicks on the Ciclon.

Currently, I'm on a Fox Float CTD in the rear. I rarely need to run it climb mode unless I'm climbing asphalt (ugh, that just feels sooo slow to me), but on the dirt, I can leave the climbing in trail mode or even descend and be fine on the climbs. No pedal bob, the bike just rides. Still need to figure out a lighter rear tire, but otherwise, I'm really happy with it.

To give you an idea, I also had an older style El Salt. The new Ciclon (even with a 160mm fork in the front) climbs better than the old El Salt with the new suspension design. Zero need for lockout.

The new suspension also feels a bit more lively (snappier and accelerates faster) than the older design, not sure if that helps you or not.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I upgraded from an X-5 to a Ciclon 2012. Significant difference in the bikes, night and day actually.

Both frames I have ridden with the CCDB and the Fox Float Air shocks. With the CCDB, I had to dial in a lot of low speed compression (LSC)on the X-5 to get the bob out, but I needed far less LSC clicks on the Ciclon.

Currently, I'm on a Fox Float CTD in the rear. I rarely need to run it climb mode unless I'm climbing asphalt (ugh, that just feels sooo slow to me), but on the dirt, I can leave the climbing in trail mode or even descend and be fine on the climbs. No pedal bob, the bike just rides. Still need to figure out a lighter rear tire, but otherwise, I'm really happy with it.

To give you an idea, I also had an older style El Salt. The new Ciclon (even with a 160mm fork in the front) climbs better than the old El Salt with the new suspension design. Zero need for lockout.

The new suspension also feels a bit more lively (snappier and accelerates faster) than the older design, not sure if that helps you or not.

Ballstein Models
    [QUOTE=Stripes;10089133] the bike just rides. [/QUOTE]

Truer words cannot be said. The new rear-ends just ride. Having ridden/owned several of the various 29er full sus offerings I am most content with my '12 El Rey. Laterally as rigid as a hardtail, compliant, does not feel inefficient. It is a pedal and squirt forward bike. As quoted above. The bike just rides and the the Dude abides...

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey,
    Hows the weather in Madison? Old stomping grounds for me, Blue Mounds, Blackhawk, Kettles, WORS... all good stuff!

-Wipp

[QUOTE=hogprint;10089467]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    the bike just rides. [/QUOTE]

Truer words cannot be said. The new rear-ends just ride. Having ridden/owned several of the various 29er full sus offerings I am most content with my '12 El Rey. Laterally as rigid as a hardtail, compliant, does not feel inefficient. It is a pedal and squirt forward bike. As quoted above. The bike just rides and the the Dude abides...

Ballstein Models
    Hey,
    Hows the weather in Madison? Old stomping grounds for me, Blue Mounds, Blackhawk, Kettles, WORS... all good stuff!

-Wipp

Cold, icy, snowy, nasty. Thankfully I have a Moonlander for this unpleasant season.

You should swing back through some time. We've been building lots of trail.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders