Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

Path Edition El Ciclon and fork Choice

Happy New Year All!!

Had a question regarding the Path Edition and Fork choice.

Will using a 150 fork on the front end change the HA and SA from the 66 and 74?

I think I read somewhere that the frame was designed around a 140 fork.

THANKS for any info!!!

Regards,

Rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm running a pike coil u-turn at 140mm. i emailed the guys at the path shop and they said the bike works best with 140 to 150 mm

I personally haven't tried with 150 mm

Team Chilidog!
    From my experience: For every 10mm increase in travel, the BB height goes up a few millimeters and the HA slackens .5 degrees.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info people!!!!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I finally got the bike built up.....the brakes still need some adjustment and i do need to get a stiffer spring. Thanks to all for the advice.....its been fantastic.

Ok........I have to say........

The bike is frggin awesome!!!!!!! I love it!

The geometry just kicks ass. I bombed down a local DH run this afternoon, of which I previouslyalways felt a bit apprensive riding the Turner Flux........but on the El Ciclon...........

Woah!!!!!!! What fun! Havent had that much fun in years!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    need pictures!!! where did you get the frame from? i got mine (2010 model) second hand

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Fantastic! I got ut from The Path. I think its a 2010 as well....do you know what rockers/travel your bike us? Do you know the shock stroke?

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    Fantastic! I got ut from The Path. I think its a 2010 as well....do you know what rockers/travel your bike us? Do you know the shock stroke?
    I have a custom EC that's the same as The Path's, but in an 18" and 1* steeper head angle. The first fork I ran was a Marzocchi RC3 44 in 140mm. I was using all the travel so I went with a RC3 44 in 150mm. The bike is perfect now with a 67* HA.

Shock stroke is 2.25" with 5.5" of travel
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Fantastic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My one is 5.5" rockers with a 2.25" stroke shock - check my other post on how to find out what rockers you have:

A question about Fox Van R and spring rates

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    They are marked 551-09....does that mean i have 5.5" of travel?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    that's correct! you should then have a 2.25" stroke shock

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for all the help and info!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

Until I get a longer fork..Im running the Fox FIT RLC 120 from my Turner Flux....110mm Sten..yeah I know...............not the right stuff, but the bike really feels great!!!!!!!! I still need to switch out the spring with a heavier one.

But the geometry os confidence inspiring!!!!!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I'm having a terrible time with the rear FormulabRX brake...............it's been squeeling like a banshee the whole time!!!!

should i try sanding the disc? replace the pads? i've spend about 10 hours trying realign it..........to no avail....

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

Got the shorter stem and the handling really improved!

I also got the RS Sektor 150, Gotta get it installed now!!!!!!

Last edited by Fachiro1; 01-15-2013 at 07:44 AM.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    The Sektor arrived . I think the Medium spring is a bit plush, but the fork action is awesome! With the front end sitting higher now, I think the bike is now balanced and feels the way it was intended!

The Sektor feel significantly stiffer than the Fox, at least to me. The dual position coil actually works!

Last edited by Fachiro1; 01-22-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Team Chilidog!
    Can't wait for the ride report with the new fork

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Thank you for all the help!

I'm going to take her up in a few days....Glendora Mountain Road most likely.....I know the stock spring is soft, but I think I used to run DH dual crown forks just as soft back in the day.

Definitely feels more stiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I'm having a terrible time with the rear FormulabRX brake...............it's been squeeling like a banshee the whole time!!!!

should i try sanding the disc? replace the pads? i've spend about 10 hours trying realign it..........to no avail....
    I had the same brakes on my elchucho. I tried everything and could never get the rear brakes to be quiet. Switched to xt's and not a peep.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Bend View Post
    I had the same brakes on my elchucho. I tried everything and could never get the rear brakes to be quiet. Switched to xt's and not a peep.
    I cant wait to get the xts......these are driving me nuts!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Turns out the rear brake seals are shot... I think brake fluid was getting on the pads and disc, ths causing the squeeling............

mtbr member
    Turns out the rear brake seals are shot... I think brake fluid was getting on the pads and disc, ths causing the squeeling............
    I doubt that is the cause of the squealing, fluid on the pads would probably help with the noise albeit with total brake failure.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Bend View Post
    I doubt that is the cause of the squealing, fluid on the pads would probably help with the noise albeit with total brake failure.
    Youre probably right!

There is so little space between the disc and the pads. Just by sitting on the bike makes the pads touch the disc. It squeels only when coasting.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

I took her up Glendora Mountain Road! I climbed the road up to the the gate at the top and took the fireroad/single track offroad down.

Wow!!!!!

First off, the suspension is AWESOME.

I have a 650 lb. spring and three clicks from open on the Fox Van R and it just soak up everything. In the first 5 minutes of the downhill, something was going on with the fork. My first thought was.....this fork is terrible! Its notnabsorbing anything! But I look down at the right crown and I realized I had forgotten to unlock the lock out......duh! I had locked out the fork and lowered the travel for the long climb. The lock out and dual travel worked flawlessly.

The fork soaked up everything! Its stiff for a 9mmQR. I initially thought the stock medium spring would be too soft, but it was good. I was getting about 15% sag, and it took all the bumps this trail dished out no problem!

Almost died on this ride..!! No kidding. About 1/3 of the way down, the single track "broke." There was a section that was completely gone and all you had was the side of the mountain dropping down about 200 feet. Lucky I saw it in time and braked.....skidded......stopped.......I'm a 43 year old man and I yelled out..."SHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!" lol!!!

For those of you that ride this trail, you know about the whole bottom of the trail being a horrendous rock garden. It really tested out the suspension. There were a few toxic water crossings as well. I decided to walk/carry the bike through these.....the water looked..............sinister!

The only problem on the ride........the rear brake, a brand new XT.........was howling like a banshee by the time I hit mid ride down. It was terrible!

I got some resin pads today and switched out the metal ones......... and the noises seem to be gone......hope it fixed the noise issue!

Dear Sherwood, Teresa, and the whole Ventana coompany, and the Path.....thanks for making such an awesome frame!
    Last edited by Fachiro1; 01-22-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast