mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Pantera / El Chamuco Der. Cable Routing

I'm running the der. cables on my Pantera and have a question regarding routing.

Which method do you use:

1. From the shift levers, do you run the cable on the same side of the head tube as the respective shifter (i.e. rear shifter on right side of handle bar; loop cable so it runs along the right side of the head tube and along the right side of the bike).

or

2. From the shift levers, do you run the cable across the head tube, down the opposite side of the bike and cross back over before the swingarm (i.e. rear shifter on right side of handle bar; loop cable so it runs along the left side of the head tube and along the left side of the bike; cross over to the right side at the swingarm).

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the first method but I just want to make sure. It seems like a sharp bend from the shifter to the head tube if you keep the cable on the same side.

Thanks,
    LeonD

aka Willy Vanilly
    Hi. I'm pretty sure it's #1. I run it w/ #2 on my X-5 and have been scolded repeatedly... =P Either way you go, just make sure you have enough slack in the housing to turn your bars all the way right and left (and for a bar swap later). I made the mistake of cutting it REALLY short and had to replace all of it when I swapped out to a riser. Good luck and post some pics when you're done!
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

just along for the ride
    If its run on the top tube beware, it was designed by somebody that either doesn't ride or wants you to suffer. Run all cable runs below your nads or be prepare for pain unless you are troy lee and have a shill to ride for you.