JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Painting a fork?

Looking at picking up a new fork for the bike, and if I win the one on ebay...

It'll clash with the bike. OK - I'm vain. I admit it. Anyone paint a Zocchi? I'm open to having it professionally done too if it's a hassle for DIY. I just want something that'll look ok when paired with the Superdust finish.

So either looking for a guide or recommendations. Thanks!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ

It'll clash with the bike. OK - I'm vain. I admit it. Anyone paint a Zocchi? I'm open to having it professionally done too if it's a hassle for DIY. I just want something that'll look ok when paired with the Superdust finish.

JmZ
    Get your self a puff can and take your time with the prep work. You should be fine. If your really looking to match the color exactly give Ventana a call and get the paint code then have your local auto body shop shoot it for you.

mtbr member
    May 2004

custom paint

Of course, the nice people over at V can point you to someone to have it done.

I was really considering a custom fork at one point by dekerf

banned

JmZ
    As long as its not powder coated. Never powder coat a Marz fork!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I assume that is because they are made of magnesium? Magnesium reacts rather explosively at high temperatures. It would be a much more difficult process and probably more$$ if he were to go that route.

Some of those pictures provided on the dekerf website are impressive, and only $100 to do the lowers.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    I assume that is because they are made of magnesium? Magnesium reacts rather explosively at high temperatures. It would be a much more difficult process and probably more$$ if he were to go that route.

Some of those pictures provided on the dekerf website are impressive, and only $100 to do the lowers.
    Precisely! My friend had a reputable PC outfit tell him that they could do it. Needless to say he had to purchase a new fork

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Turned out to be a moot point.

Seller didn't take the offer submitted. Off to fork choice #2 - which is cheaper, and comes in grey already. May still to the color thing in the future, but not needed right away.

Didn't like the white 'Zocchi anyway, really I didn't -- yeah that's the ticket.

JmZ
    JmZ

banned
    Turned out to be a moot point.

Seller didn't take the offer submitted. Off to fork choice #2 - which is cheaper, and comes in grey already. May still to the color thing in the future, but not needed right away.

Didn't like the white 'Zocchi anyway, really I didn't -- yeah that's the ticket.

JmZ
    What was your offer? I have a RS Lyric that I will be sellin' once the 55 gets here next week. I will be rebuilding it with new steerer assembly, seals, and I even have a spacer kit that I can lower to preferred travel....or =====>>> my bud has a 2007 All Mountain 1 Sl

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Sorry - looking at XC forks and still avoid the RS stuff. It might not be fair - but still remember nightmares about Judys and Sids always were too noodly for my weight.

Would be on linkage forks if they were not 1K+ in the states, so alternatives have been Zocchi and Fox, and haven't made it to Fox yet.

JmZ
    JmZ

Outcast
    JMZ, check it out; my very recent frame and fork paint job. It's not powder coat, it's wet paint, no issues with heating magnesium:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Renegade, I like that alot. Very smooth looking.

What frame/fork are those?

Outcast
    '02 Turner RFX
    '06 Marzocchi 66 fork

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Why?? A friend had it done and his seemed ok. I believe tscheezy is now riding the fork.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    SSINGA, actually, Aappling's 66 lowers are my lowers, the ones you see above. I traded Tscheezy for them; he got my white lowers offf my '07 ata fork.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    SSINGA, actually, Aappling's 66 lowers are my lowers, the ones you see above. I traded Tscheezy for them; he got my white lowers offf my '07 ata fork.
    well then, I stand corrected. Renny is using Zocchi lowers that got powdercoated. I should mention that the shop that did it regularly does lots of motorsports stuff and has experience working with magnesium alloys.
    Nothing to see here.

Outcast
    There's nothing be be " I stand corrected" about Sean. These lowers have been powder coated, stripped, which showed NO signs of any ill affects to the magnesium from the powder coating, primered, painted, and clear coated.