Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ouch!

459 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PaMtnBkr 
#1 ·
I finally got to join another club.

Broke my collarbone this past weekend. Not a club I really wanted to join mind you, but regardless I'm now a member.

The Feugo looks ok on first inspection, but it hasn't had a thorough going over yet. I'll probably replace the bar and helmet just because, but hopefully I didn't hurt the fork. I'll get to a better look later this week.

I was showing a local trail to my kid brother and got separated from him. Went back to the intersection where we parted ways and tried to hammer to catch him. I trusted the bike to ride waaaay over my comfortable speed. It took the drops and bumps without any problems, but I didn't fare the (too fast) turn in a sand pit. The front tire plowed and I went over.

Landed on the shoulder and popped the collarbone. One pretty decent break. I'm out for 6-8 weeks.

JmZ

#2 ·
Well, that sucks don't it? I went over the bars last month and got a small break in my arm. Just starting to hit it hard again. The biggest issue coming off a break is mental I think. I am a little quick to walk some technical downhill stuff just because I don't want to go through the time off again. Be warned, time off, like hope, is a dangerous thing. A mountain biker gets to thinking too much and the next thing you know you have grip shifters and a new wheelset!

#3 ·
Hey look, if roadies like Tyler Hamilton can continue to ride and win with broken collar bones, us mountain bikes should do no less!
Just kidding. It hurts, I know. Broke mine 11 years ago. My nurse at the hospital that day is now my wife. Sometimes good things happen from accidents.
BTW, changing clothes and bathing seem to have been the worst tasks.

#4 ·
May be a small blessing...

JmZ said:

Broke my collarbone this past weekend. Not a club I really wanted to join mind you, but regardless I'm now a member.

mZ
I had a third degree seperation happen to me just about a year ago.
(Third degree is a complete tear of the tendon connecting the collarbone to the shoulder blade)

I will never get 100% strength back,(Close to 90% maybe) and I will always have a large bump where the end of the collarbone is now springing up. If I don't stay on my work out routine for my shoulder muscles I lose signicant strength and stability in my shoulder (directly effecting my riding.)

If it had fractured, most likely I'd be back to near 99% strength by now, with a slight bump where the knitting of the bone took place.

I was able to ride 3 weeks after the injury, but it took me nearly 4 months to feel comfortable on the Bruja doing jumps again.
You should be back to yourself in few months, barring complications.

Good luck, heel fast and we'll try to post pics to help you pass the time.

-Aaron

#5 ·
Been there, done that. SUCKS

JmZ said:

The Feugo looks ok on first inspection, but it hasn't had a thorough going over yet. I'll probably replace the bar and helmet just because, but hopefully I didn't hurt the fork. I'll get to a better look later this week.

I was showing a local trail to my kid brother and got separated from him. Went back to the intersection where we parted ways and tried to hammer to catch him. I trusted the bike to ride waaaay over my comfortable speed. It took the drops and bumps without any problems, but I didn't fare the (too fast) turn in a sand pit. The front tire plowed and I went over.

Landed on the shoulder and popped the collarbone. One pretty decent break. I'm out for 6-8 weeks.

JmZ
Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. I did mine about 9 years ago and it is not fun. It took about a year to mentally get back up to snuff, physically about 6 weeks. Good luck w/it and be careful, it's really easy to put on the tonnage while sitting on the couch. Try to get out and hike some of the trails you like riding. You'll gain a new appreciation for the things you go past but never see! D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.