mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New question here. original La Bruja v. Terremoto

any of you guys go from the V1 Bruja to the Terremoto? care to comment? sure would appreciate it. thanks
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    What would like to know? I still own V1, but have ridden Terremoto.

V1 Bruja's geometry is so Fork dependant that it's hard to do a straight cross comparison.
    (Remember V1 came out in '01 when the longest travel SC fork on the Market was the Z150 from Marzocchi.), but for the most part Terremoto takes what the V1 could do, uber trail/light FR stuff and does it easier because it's slacker and lower BB. The travel is bumped up by 10mm and feels a bit plusher and more active. You sit IN the terremoto more than the V1 (the tall BB makes you feel more on top). But in chunky stuff, I like the Taller BB so go figure. YMMV.

-Aaron

V1 Rider...
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    What would like to know? I still own V1, but have ridden Terremoto.

V1 Bruja's geometry is so Fork dependant that it's hard to do a straight cross comparison.
    (Remember V1 came out in '01 when the longest travel SC fork on the Market was the Z150 from Marzocchi.), but for the most part Terremoto takes what the V1 could do, uber trail/light FR stuff and does it easier because it's slacker and lower BB. The travel is bumped up by 10mm and feels a bit plusher and more active. You sit IN the terremoto more than the V1 (the tall BB makes you feel more on top). But in chunky stuff, I like the Taller BB so go figure. YMMV.

-Aaron

V1 Rider...
    an ' 01 V1 has been my one ride for the last 3500 mi. when i first got it about 3 yrs ago i was using an ' 03 Z1 130. liked the ride but wasn't thrilled. got an ' 06 Z1 Light 150 & wow.
    so yeah, i agree about the "fork dependant". although, i suppose any bike isn't gonna really shine until ya got the "right" fork. anyway i ended up w/ a 14 1/4 BB which i loved for getting up & over logs & pedalling through the nasty stuff. but, w/ the saddle up to height for pedalling efficiency i'd get that too high, on top feeling. i'd lower the saddle maybe 1/2 " & that would get the IN the bike feel you mentioned, but that also would work against my knees. a gravity dropper was great, but it just made it easier to get to the wrong position max. heightwise{on top feeling}. w/ the lower BB of the Terremoto & riding w/ 1/3 sag into more travel to begin w/, i could get saddle height right & give my knees a much needed break & be IN the bike.

what started all this was i recently developed 2 cracks on the yoke & one microscopic crack @ the seatube/ toptube. w/ the killer deal on Terremotos right now, i'm thinking it could be time to try another ride instead of fixing it. it's gonna be hard to retire the ol' La Bruja, but knees need a break.

thanks for response
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    }. w/ the lower BB of the Terremoto & riding w/ 1/3 sag into more travel to begin w/, i could get saddle height right & give my knees a much needed break & be IN the bike.
    Based on that need, I think the Terremoto is a good upgrade for you. My V1 is Bruja #5 too much sentimental value for me, so I can live with the "On Top" feeling for now.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

-A
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member

Thoughts On V1 Bruja 650b conversion?

I've been really excited about the new wheel standard since riding my buddies fs Jamis. 650 Wheels will fit the V1 but will raise my bb height close to 15". I totally get the 'on top' feeling of the bruja but the trade off with clearance works for me and the terrain/style I ride. But will an extra 1/2" be too much? Any thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by csoskin View Post
    I've been really excited about the new wheel standard since riding my buddies fs Jamis. 650 Wheels will fit the V1 but will raise my bb height close to 15". I totally get the 'on top' feeling of the bruja but the trade off with clearance works for me and the terrain/style I ride. But will an extra 1/2" be too much? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    IMO, that extra hight is just gonna be too much. going 27.5 or 29 on any 26 " frame usually doesn't cut it. w/ the V1 you've got the adjustable dropouts to experiment w/ but i still think you'd be too high. but then you'd have the right wheels for the Zeus
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Nhodge is right, the 14.75" BB is right at the edge of "acceptable" for most riding. I love it and actually fear what switching to the new style frames with the to me ultra low BB will be like! At any rate I did try my 650b wheels on Bruja and the 15" + BB was just too high. But if you want an excuse to have Zeus ready wheels......
    -Aaron G.