Thread: Old El Ciclon

jbf
    mtbr member

Old El Ciclon

I came across a 2008 17" El Ciclon frame and was hoping you guys could help me out with how these older models size out. The top tubes of the older frames seem a bit short compared to the new version. I am 5'9-1/4" barefoot and as near as I can tell I would need a 90mm stem to match the position I ride on my current hardtail.

Can anyone chime in with their experience riding the old El Ciclon? Your size and frame fit specs would be appreciated ...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Here is the geo chart for a 2009 El Ciclon. I believe the 2008 thru 2010 are the same geometry numbers. I think the medium frame will fit but I would compare it against what you're currently riding. At most you may have to change out the stem, Ole'
    Attached Files Attached Files

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Here is the geo chart for a 2009 El Ciclon. I believe the 2008 thru 2010 are the same geometry numbers. I think the medium frame will fit but I would compare it against what you're currently riding. At most you may have to change out the stem, Ole'
    Thanks for the chart. Since the website was updated, all the info on the "old" Ciclon seems to be gone. I had only been able to locate a 2008 data sheet online and it appears the standard geometry was slightly tweaked in 2009. I assume it remained constant thereafter. I am going back and forth on whether the 17" or the 19" would best suit me.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I am 99.9% sure the geo on the 2008 EC is different from the 09-10. The 2008 had 5 inches or rear travel and in 2009 it was changed to 5.5 (140mm). I purchased an 08 and considered upgrading the rockers. I am going only on memory here so don't hold me to it.

I searched and could not find the geo. I am 5-9.5 but with a 30 inch inseam. I still ride the 08 17inch EC with a 90mm stem and 140mm TALAS and it is a great fit. I started searching for the old geo so I could compare to the Zeus. It looks like if I go the Zeus route I will have to custom. Even the small has a 30 inch top tube.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul View Post
    I am 99.9% sure the geo on the 2008 EC is different from the 09-10. The 2008 had 5 inches or rear travel and in 2009 it was changed to 5.5 (140mm). I purchased an 08 and considered upgrading the rockers. I am going only on memory here so don't hold me to it.

I searched and could not find the geo. I am 5-9.5 but with a 30 inch inseam. I still ride the 08 17inch EC with a 90mm stem and 140mm TALAS and it is a great fit. I started searching for the old geo so I could compare to the Zeus. It looks like if I go the Zeus route I will have to custom. Even the small has a 30 inch top tube.

30" top tube!?!?! not a chance
    breezy shade

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishin Paul View Post

I pretty sure the 2008 was the first year they bumped the rear travel to 140mm.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    30" top tube!?!?! not a chance
    Stand over, my bad. Still, the Zeus is one tall mother.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I had a 2008 and it was 5"/127mm travel. I'm 5' 10.5" and rode a large. At 5' 9" I'd for sure lean medium on the old models.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    I had a 2008 and it was 5"/127mm travel. I'm 5' 10.5" and rode a large. At 5' 9" I'd for sure lean medium on the old models.
    Thanks for your thoughts. As an east coast rider I'll probably lean toward the medium as the agilty of the smaller frame would probably work better on the trails I ride regularly.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by jbf View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. As an east coast rider I'll probably lean toward the medium as the agilty of the smaller frame would probably work better on the trails I ride regularly.
    There are 5/6 inch combo rockers for the '06-'10 frames. I feel that the 5.5 rockers are perfect(for me). Size wise, I'm 5' 11" and had a 18" front triangle made if that helps
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Anyone have the geometry on older Ciclon's by chance? I have a 2007.

jbf
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    Anyone have the geometry on older Ciclon's by chance? I have a 2007.
    Photobucket

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    excellent....was wondering about head angle. thanks