El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....

Well, Summer is here and for me that used to mean heading up to Snow Summit and hitting the lifts. Summit has some new trails this year and I'm eager to try them out.

I was originally going to see about building a dedicated DH rig, but reality and age dictates that I'm no longer capable of the all out riding I used to do 15-20 years ago....So I decided to see about beefing up the trail/AM rig.

The Ciclon has been fantastic since I put her together, but I was running some XT XC wheels. They are light and great for the extended climbs, but the downhills ultimately resulted in a bit of flex that I didnt like.

So..........I had a more beefy wheelset put together. Mavic EN521 rims, Front 15mm SLX hub, rear Zee hub with a 135x10 thru axel. Im on a tight budget and didnt want to spring for a new fork, so I got a 15 to 9mm adaptor for the fork and a DT Swiss RWS 9mm thru bolt for the front...10mm RWS for the rear.

Okay..............things are now stiffer! Especiallly the rear. The thru axle really tighten things up. Front tracking feels better too. I'm hoping I can survive a few runs at Big Bear in the next coming weeks!!!

The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-img_4324_zps17a55ffa.jpg
    The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-img_4332_zpsc830a901.jpg
    The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-img_4331_zps53e447ae.jpg
    The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-img_4329_zpsfc84360a.jpg
    The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-img_4328_zps98a8cdcf.jpg
    The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-img_4327_zps6d893af3.jpg

The old set up:

The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-photo-4_zps492ab3ec.jpg

ventanakaz
    Sounds like your gonna have more fun with the bike setup like that, beefy always seems to have more fun on the downs...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I took it up Chantry Flat...a local climb/downhill...single track fire roads.....

BIG improvement! Better tracking....and I think the increased stiffness has helped braking too.

I guess wider rims and more spokes does make a difference!

ventanakaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    I took it up Chantry Flat...a local climb/downhill...single track fire roads.....

BIG improvement! Better tracking....and I think the increased stiffness has helped braking too.

I guess wider rims and more spokes does make a difference!
    ...yes wider rims do make a difference. I remember when I had the terremoto with cross county rims, and taking it to northstar. I bent in the sidewalls and put flat spots on the rim, the next time I took it back I had wider rims that held up better and with wider rims you get a bigger tire foot print and alot less tire roll on the corners. Fun times ;-) ...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Ralph. The only other thing I noticed was that the bike seems heavier. I know the wheels new wheels are heavier so it took me a bit longer to get to the summit. Maybe that, or I just wasnt fully awake yet! But the downhills definitely feel more stable as does cornering. Thanks for the info!

ventanakaz
    Thanks Ralph. The only other thing I noticed was that the bike seems heavier. I know the wheels new wheels are heavier so it took me a bit longer to get to the summit. Maybe that, or I just wasnt fully awake yet! But the downhills definitely feel more stable as does cornering. Thanks for the info!
    ...yap, you sure got that right (harder to climb but it's something you get used to over time) for instance my labruja weight is 40lbs with downhill rims and tires and a few years back I did a cross county ride with some friends and boy did I hate the climbs, so the next time I went back I changed the tires out to some single wall all mountain tires and damn the climbs felt so much easier but I hated the downs and the cornering so I put my bigger tires back on and just had more fun, I just had to get stronger on the climbs. I'll never go back to cross county tires again, for me their just not fun to ride on ;-) ...ralph

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1962 View Post
    ...yap, you sure got that right (harder to climb but it's something you get used to over time) for instance my labruja weight is 40lbs with downhill rims and tires and a few years back I did a cross county ride with some friends and boy did I hate the climbs, so the next time I went back I changed the tires out to some single wall all mountain tires and damn the climbs felt so much easier but I hated the downs and the cornering so I put my bigger tires back on and just had more fun, I just had to get stronger on the climbs. I'll never go back to cross county tires again, for me their just not fun to ride on ;-) ...ralph

I hear you!!!

I need to drop at least 20 pounds. If I can get back down or at least partially, to my weight 15 years ago, I think that would help a lot! Youre right about the fun part, definitely more fun without the flex!

ventanakaz
    I hear you!!!

I need to drop at least 20 pounds. If I can get back down or at least partially, to my weight 15 years ago, I think that would help a lot! Youre right about the fun part, definitely more fun without the flex!
    ...your not the only one that needs to drop 20 lbs. I just need to get my a★★ back to riding a few days a week like I used to do...I need to get motivated...ralph

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    A better shot.....

The Ol El Ciclon.................beefed up a bit....-kkkkkk_zps4f65538c.jpg

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I also wanted to mention what I think about the DT Swiss RWS bolt thingys....

I think the aluminum handled versions are extremely well made. I think they are actually swiss made, but whereever they are made, the construction is like a fine swiss watch.

Th rear hub is a Shimano Zee 135x10. This, along with the RWS absolutely stiffens up and already stiff rear triangle.

The only detractor.....just have to get used to it, again, is a perceived increase in rotation weight. It just feels a bit more heavy on the get go.