Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,300

    Ok, but it's not a Ventana...

    A few folks here know I went into surgery for a new and improved ACL and to clean out the meniscus a couple weeks ago.

    10 days post-op (ACL and meniscus), I can pedal an exercise bike.

    Later this week, my El Salt will be in the fluid trainer donning flat pedals and a slick rear tire Then, I'll be pedaling a Ventana.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,764
    I wish you a super fast recovery, Anne!

  3. #3
    Team Fearless Descender
    Reputation: El Salt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,970
    Healing vibes Stripes.
    .
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."


    Stuff

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,829
    Good luck with the recovery, Stripes!

    I had ACL reconstruction surgery last November and am definitely itching to get back outside on the bike. Physical therapy will not be over soon enough ....

  5. #5
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,300
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Good luck with the recovery, Stripes!

    I had ACL reconstruction surgery last November and am definitely itching to get back outside on the bike. Physical therapy will not be over soon enough ....
    Thanks everyone for your well wishes

    How long before you're cleared to MTB? I'm two weeks out (14 days post op), and can pedal on the exercise bike without issue for several days.

    I can walk today without the crutches (although carefully), and I'd like to be cleared to ride "in the community" (as my PT puts in) in the next month or so. My goal is to get cleared to MTB by week 16.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  6. #6
    Shot Down in Flames...
    Reputation: D-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Get well soon Anne!


    D.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Thanks everyone for your well wishes

    How long before you're cleared to MTB? I'm two weeks out (14 days post op), and can pedal on the exercise bike without issue for several days.

    I can walk today without the crutches (although carefully), and I'd like to be cleared to ride "in the community" (as my PT puts in) in the next month or so. My goal is to get cleared to MTB by week 16.
    I have been on the trainer since a week or so after the surgery with no pain. I would be very careful about riding outside too soon. The graft used for the reconstruction is at its weakest from weeks 4 to 12. By week 12, it should be fully revascularized and start getting strong again. An involuntary dismount off the bike may cause the graft to stretch out when it's still weak and result in instability in the joint, which would negate the effectiveness of the surgery. Worst case scenario, you may tear partially or fully the graft and require surgery again.

    Take your time, work hard on your PT exercises, spend time on the trainer and don't get too focused on getting back on the bike too soon. Your physical therapist and surgeon will get you back to your desired level of activity as fast as your body allows.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,300
    Like I said, I'm hoping to get cleared by week 16, definitely not earlier than week 12. I definitely want to try to avoid going through the surgery again, so yeah, I'm only going when I have clearance from PT and the doc.

    Did you have an allograph or an autograph? I did the allograph.

    Thanks for the support. I'm working very hard at PT so I can functional. Getting on the MTB is a long term goal, where this week is to get rid of the brace completely (not needed at home or at PT).

    Small steps, but gotta keep the big goal in mind

    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    I have been on the trainer since a week or so after the surgery with no pain. I would be very careful about riding outside too soon. The graft used for the reconstruction is at its weakest from weeks 4 to 12. By week 12, it should be fully revascularized and start getting strong again. An involuntary dismount off the bike may cause the graft to stretch out when it's still weak and result in instability in the joint, which would negate the effectiveness of the surgery. Worst case scenario, you may tear partially or fully the graft and require surgery again.

    Take your time, work hard on your PT exercises, spend time on the trainer and don't get too focused on getting back on the bike too soon. Your physical therapist and surgeon will get you back to your desired level of activity as fast as your body allows.

    Good luck!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  9. #9
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes

    Later this week, my El Salt will be in the fluid trainer donning flat pedals and a slick rear tire Then, I'll be pedaling a Ventana.
    Yeah, but it would be more fun if you were on the new 2011 Ventana's with Shorter Chainstays!!

    Keep up the hard work at PT!
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  10. #10
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Yeah, but it would be more fun if you were on the new 2011 Ventana's with Shorter Chainstays!!

    Keep up the hard work at PT!
    Doooood, you are so NOT helping Did you design my perfect AM bike or something?

    I'm at 123 degrees range of motion as of yesterday (130+ is normal), and I'm doing some leg presses. I want to get the Dragon in the trainer, but the trainer my friend lent me is so not-intuitive.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •