mtbr member

... and if we just ... Newbie to the Ventana Clan

Thanks to my fellow members on this site, I was able to get (at least it's in transit) my used (new to me) Salty frame at basement bargain price along with a Talas R fork - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=57393&cat=

I'm gonna get the RP3 and Talas Push'd upon arrival, and touch up the paint a bit in the interim before build-up.

And thanks to mtnbiker4life I was able to secure a few of the bits (CK headset, Thomson stem & Monkeylight bar) I need to help build it up while leaving my Santa Cruz Superlight mostly intact so I have a good loaner for any buddies that want to ride.

I'm an 8 speed retro-grouch so I'm working on securing another crankset, but have my pods/cassette/chain. I have a spare wheelset, saddle, and a few other things to complete the bike. Anyway, looking forward to getting my Ventana as this has been one of my dream bikes and I was FINALLY able to get it. I'm psyched

I'm glad I didn't find a good deal on a Pantera back when I got my SC SL in 2002, since I'm sure I would have a harder time justifying the replacement. I convinced/told myself and wife that I needed a Salty since I needed something a little more forgiving on my 44 yr old body than a Superlight. And since I'm so frugal (read cheap), I had to wait until the right deal came along.

CEO Product Failure
    I know the owner of that bike. That bike is in super pristine condition. Can't believe he's framing it out for that price though...WOW!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Wow, that is a great price! Welcome to the family. Sorry you had to deal with our Uncle Fester already (Mtnbiker4life) but that's the price you pay for the great deal!

OLE!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    Welcome Brace1. Looking forward to some pix of your new ride!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Team Chilidog!
    Welcome to the Ventana family. I just picked up my semi-custom El Salt, and it's a great light ride. You're going to love it.

Since you're an 8 speed retro-grouch, are you still running thumbies? I miss those.

Btw, if you need an extra non-used (only mounted) 8 speed SRAM chain, please let me know. I'm trying to get the old bike parts that are taking up space, out. Drop me a PM if you want it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Welcome to the Ventana family. I just picked up my semi-custom El Salt, and it's a great light ride. You're going to love it.

Since you're an 8 speed retro-grouch, are you still running thumbies? I miss those.

Btw, if you need an extra non-used (only mounted) 8 speed SRAM chain, please let me know. I'm trying to get the old bike parts that are taking up space, out. Drop me a PM if you want it.
    Thanks Stripes. I've never used thumbies, just triggers. Have a stockpile of XTR & XT pods, enough to last me a few lifetimes . I appreciate the offer on the chain, but have way too many of those too. I went overboard in the beginning always looking for the holy grail of best performing stuff, then graduated to "gotta keep a stockpile since they're discontinuing 8 speed stuff".

So, with that sickness still lingering: what model SRAM chain you got that I might take off your hands?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Welcome Brace1. Looking forward to some pix of your new ride!
    Thanks Salt, will post some up as I build her.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brace1
    Thanks Stripes. I've never used thumbies, just triggers. Have a stockpile of XTR & XT pods, enough to last me a few lifetimes . I appreciate the offer on the chain, but have way too many of those too. I went overboard in the beginning always looking for the holy grail of best performing stuff, then graduated to "gotta keep a stockpile since they're discontinuing 8 speed stuff".

So, with that sickness still lingering: what model SRAM chain you got that I might take off your hands?
    How can you be a retro-grouch if you haven't used thumbies?!

I'll take a look at the chain in the morning (it's a bit dark in the shed right now), and I just want it out of the house. Really.

Proud lame eBiker

retro...but aint no grouch. damnit.

How can you be a retro-grouch if you haven't used thumbies?!

I'll take a look at the chain in the morning (it's a bit dark in the shed right now), and I just want it out of the house. Really.
    BTW: Thumbies were 7speed. Shimano went to triggers with 8sp.

Now....we used to modify cassettes to use 6 of the 7 gears from a shimano cogset, and then spin on the 11/12 combo from the XC Pro cassettes from that time. So you'd have a Shiamno 7sp thumbie, and if you set it right, there was an extra dead click to start with that became first position. Oh and then shimano started making cassette bodies with no threads on the final position so we sourced a bunch of older bodies that we retrofitted to newer hub shells just so we could keep using thumb shifters.

Oh, and by the way, only dorks kept the thumb shifters on top of the bars. You needed to swap them left to right, then rotate them under the bar. Best fricken shifting ever I tell you!!

Ummm, ok, so how many of you youngsters followed me on that little trip down MTB past?!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    BTW: Thumbies were 7speed. Shimano went to triggers with 8sp.

Now....we used to modify cassettes to use 6 of the 7 gears from a shimano cogset, and then spin on the 11/12 combo from the XC Pro cassettes from that time. So you'd have a Shiamno 7sp thumbie, and if you set it right, there was an extra dead click to start with that became first position. Oh and then shimano started making cassette bodies with no threads on the final position so we sourced a bunch of older bodies that we retrofitted to newer hub shells just so we could keep using thumb shifters.

Oh, and by the way, only dorks kept the thumb shifters on top of the bars. You needed to swap them left to right, then rotate them under the bar. Best fricken shifting ever I tell you!!

Ummm, ok, so how many of you youngsters followed me on that little trip down MTB past?!
    Youngster?! Not quite, but thanks for calling me a dork!

I was one of the people running them on an 8 speed cassette. They were awesome for their time.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Youngster?! Not quite, but thanks for calling me a dork!

I was one of the people running them on an 8 speed cassette. They were awesome for their time.
    They were awesome? I'm still running 'em on three different bikes. Well I did upgrade to the barcon/Paul mounts. Do I get bonus points for running them in friction mode?

Like that they are light, bulletproof, and simple.

Guess that makes me a dork too.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    They were awesome? I'm still running 'em on three different bikes. Well I did upgrade to the barcon/Paul mounts. Do I get bonus points for running them in friction mode?

Like that they are light, bulletproof, and simple.

Guess that makes me a dork too.

JmZ
    I stopped using them in 2000, then tried to use them again in 2007, but I couldn't because I don't have the hand strength after breaking my right wrist.

Keep the retro alive, JmZ!

(Yes, you get bonus points for running them in friction mode. It's how I used 'em )

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14

Oooh, oooh, oooh, me, me, me!

Yes, had Deore thumbs on my first MTB, Raleigh Technium, and my next ride, my Merlin. The Merlin had a Shimano thumb shifter drive train, but some blingy other components… McMahon U brake on the rear, and a McMahon Ti bar. Grafton Speed Controllers (cantilevers) up front… Cook Bros. cranks…

Then I built a YETI ARC, one of the early ones, with the Evolution size headset. Funny how things come around. This had the very fist generation XTR gruppo (full) on it. My path down indexed shifting began. Still have the full gruppo (brakes, levers, crank, derailleurs) in the parts box.

I never did get into GripShift, I know many really liked it, but I just couldn’t get my head around it, while I was getting my hands around it!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Oooh, oooh, oooh, me, me, me!

Yes, had Deore thumbs on my first MTB, Raleigh Technium, and my next ride, my Merlin. The Merlin had a Shimano thumb shifter drive train, but some blingy other components… McMahon U brake on the rear, and a McMahon Ti bar. Grafton Speed Controllers (cantilevers) up front… Cook Bros. cranks…

Then I built a YETI ARC, one of the early ones, with the Evolution size headset. Funny how things come around. This had the very fist generation XTR gruppo (full) on it. My path down indexed shifting began. Still have the full gruppo (brakes, levers, crank, derailleurs) in the parts box.

I never did get into GripShift, I know many really liked it, but I just couldn’t get my head around it, while I was getting my hands around it!
    Wrong forum for all this talk about the past..............ten years ago I was fast now I'm ten years older.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

new x5 owner with questions

Hi. I picked up a used X5. I lost contact with the previous owner. How do I know if it has the Quad Bearing upgrade? Is there also a pivot thru axle upgrade for the X5? How can I tell.

'07 X5

Insight please
    THANKS!
    Last edited by THATmanMANNY; 11-29-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY
    Hi. I picked up a used X5. I lost contact with the previous owner. How do I know if it has the Quad Bearing upgrade? Is there also a pivot thru axle upgrade for the X5? How can I tell.

'07 X5

Insight please
    THANKS!
    Take a pic and post it, best way to tell if it has quads.

and yes the thru axle pivot upgrade will fit your X-5.
    -Aaron G.

Proud lame eBiker

'07 X5

Insight please
    THANKS!
    As for the quad bearings....check the journals where the bearings are pressed into the swingarm. Does it look like another bearing could be pressed in there on top of the one already there? or is the cavity already full of bearing? If you can't fit another bearing, you already have the Quad set up.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

do i have quad bearings

Where does this pivot thru axle go? Which pivot? Is it a thru axle like for hubs or just a bigger dia hosing/bolts? I don't see any info on the Ventana site

thanks for the info ahead of time

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Take a pic and post it, best way to tell if it has quads.

and yes the thru axle pivot upgrade will fit your X-5.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Yup, you got quads, all the pivots have 2 bearings.

The thru axle is for the main pivot by the bottom bracket. Original design is two halves bolted together.

-A
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    The thru axle is for the main pivot by the bottom bracket. Original design is two halves bolted together.
    So can you tell from the pics or do I need to unscrew the bolts to find out?

Thanks A

Proud lame eBiker
    Well, if it's built within the last two years then it probably has the newer thru axle pivot. It's easy to find out though. %mm in the non drive side, and either an 8mm or 20mm in the drive side. the 5mm hex head bolt will come out and if it's the thru axle design the cap will easily come out of the bearing as it's shallow. The older design it was tough to extract the half on the non drive side because you had nothing to push against, until you knocked out the drive side and then used a 10mm allen to push out the non-drive side.

It's pretty easy to figure out once you pull that bolt and cap off.

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    So can you tell from the pics or do I need to unscrew the bolts to find out?

Thanks A
    Your frame is '05 (or newer), I think I can see the end of the bolt in your pic, which would make it the old standard two piece non thru pivot. Aaron's test is the easiest way to tell, or include a pic of the non-drive side for absolute clarification.The HD thru main pivot is stiffer and easier to work on as Aaron has mentioned. If you take it apart be sure to use blue loctite when you reinstall the bolt. (90 in-lbs)
    SPG

"One lick from the lollipop of mediocrity and you suck forever" anonymous

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwood
    Your frame is '05 (or newer), I think I can see the end of the bolt in your pic, which would make it the old standard two piece non thru pivot. Aaron's test is the easiest way to tell, or include a pic of the non-drive side for absolute clarification.The HD thru main pivot is stiffer and easier to work on as Aaron has mentioned. If you take it apart be sure to use blue loctite when you reinstall the bolt. (90 in-lbs)
    Myke's Test, giving credit where credit is due.

But thanks for making me sound smart!
    -Aaron G.