Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Proud lame eBiker

A New Zeus to the mix

Building this beauty up for a customer.
    Fox Float 34 in a special black, as they normally are white.
    SRAM X0 Trail brakes
    SRAM XX1 group
    Dtswiss 240 hubs. 15mm and 12x142
    Stan's Arch rims.
    Schwalbe NobbyNics 2.35
    King Headset
    LEV post.
    ENVE bar
    Thomson stem

www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Wow, the Orange/Matte Black really looks good. Nice!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Lightly salted
    Thats going to be a nice build! I can't wait to see it finished. What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good grief, that thing is nice! Love a black rear end! (Not sure that came out right)
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet! I see it with a bunch of red ano...

mtbr member
    That's going to be a nice build and look good too.

How did you come up with the black Float?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Proud lame eBiker
    It's the new sizing. Medium. 18".

The black Float is a Ventana Special Edition.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Chilidog!
    Very nice. Subscribed.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Nice color combo. It makes me uneasy when I do not see at least one thread exposed on that nyloc nut.......I would remove the washer and replace it with a shim, just for more thread engagement.

I'm still waiting to here about Ventana's secret project...shshhhhhhh

Auburn Bike Works
    Killer can't wait to see it together!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post

I'm still waiting to here about Ventana's secret project...shshhhhhhh
    650XC design right? Whoops......out of the bag now.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    No, the carbon frame version. I did hear from a bird that was dabbled with along with Turner. Too expensive to keep it in USA. Think frame at Enve rim price. I really have no intel on this. Just something I was told at a demo from a Turner guy who used to work at V.

Proud lame eBiker
    Still waiting for a DTSwiss XX1 cassette body....grrrrrrr! Final piece. Waiting, waiting waiting. Lame!!!

PhishinPaul.....small sample, that used to work at V but now work at T?? Who dat?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    650XC design right? Whoops......out of the bag now.
    From what I know of this new 650B, I would say it leans more to XC but like all Ventana frames the stiffness seems to give one a sense of immortality. Since I have put money, I will vote myself as the frames spokesperson

NedwannaB
    From what I know of this new 650B, I would say it leans more to XC but like all Ventana frames the stiffness seems to give one a sense of immortality. Since I have put money, I will vote myself as the frames spokesperson
    Is there also talk of a carbon Zues?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Ultra Ventanaphile

Yearly Rumor Clarification

Int14 - Nobody who's worked at V in a LONG while, the crews been the same for like 4-5 years now?

Everybody else, ok, every year on this board we get two occurances, Vince tries to be sly about having some innner knowledge about V which isn't SO secret (Sorry Vince don't mean to burst any bubbles, but in the interest of rumor control I'm clarifying) and two, somebody thinks there's going to be a carbon Ventana "X" model.

Actually, there's three occurances, which is when I come on the board and clear up the rumors.....

So here goes:

1) The "secret" model: ShortER travel 650B frame ~120mm travel. Sherwood openly discussed before that he has to design his frames around available components, and up until now, the only big player (Fox/RS etc) forks were 160mm or so. But RS is coming out with a 120/140 Reba, and Fox will follow suit to keep up. Sherwood and I talked about a 120mm or so travel "trail" 650B model being an awesome addition to the lineup, BACK in Fall 2010/Spring 2011. I'm not sure when it will come out, as you saw from last year, it takes time to design new models and then make the needed tooling for the frames, and when you wear all the hats Sherwood does at V, time is not in abundance.

2) Carbon "X" Ventana. While I have not asked Sherwood this specific question in over a year, I don't see any reason why his reasons last year would be any different now, too expensive to produce in-house, and as we know, V's are made in house for a reason.

Again, Vince, didn't mean to spoil any surprise etc. Hope this clears things up before they get too out of hand.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Int14 - Nobody who's worked at V in a LONG while, the crews been the same for like 4-5 years now?

Everybody else, ok, every year on this board we get two occurances, Vince tries to be sly about having some innner knowledge about V which isn't SO secret (Sorry Vince don't mean to burst any bubbles, but in the interest of rumor control I'm clarifying) and two, somebody thinks there's going to be a carbon Ventana "X" model.

Actually, there's three occurances, which is when I come on the board and clear up the rumors.....

So here goes:

1) The "secret" model: ShortER travel 650B frame ~120mm travel. Sherwood openly discussed before that he has to design his frames around available components, and up until now, the only big player (Fox/RS etc) forks were 160mm or so. But RS is coming out with a 120/140 Reba, and Fox will follow suit to keep up. Sherwood and I talked about a 120mm or so travel "trail" 650B model being an awesome addition to the lineup, BACK in Fall 2010/Spring 2011. I'm not sure when it will come out, as you saw from last year, it takes time to design new models and then make the needed tooling for the frames, and when you wear all the hats Sherwood does at V, time is not in abundance.

2) Carbon "X" Ventana. While I have not asked Sherwood this specific question in over a year, I don't see any reason why his reasons last year would be any different now, too expensive to produce in-house, and as we know, V's are made in house for a reason.

Again, Vince, didn't mean to spoil any surprise etc. Hope this clears things up before they get too out of hand.
    Let me clarify your clarification, okay you got me. I am not in anyway attached to the brand name Ventana. I am just a middle aged slow white boy who spends his nights surfing mbtr and designing my latest tool. So no inner knowledge just constant e-mails for the last 18 months asking for a 120mm 650B frame. I finally got my answer in December and instantly put a deposit down. Maybe I should be the official spokesperson for this frame :/

mtbr member
    I'm kind of curious about carbon, but I'm having a hard time buying into it. IMO, it's mostly marketing BS, it's a hell of a lot more expensive than aluminum and for what? What I am interested to hear more about is this Son of Zeus, the shorter travel 650ber, or 27.5 depending on the marketing hype you are listening too. I need to replace a 2002 Santa Cruz Superlight and a 120mm travel trail bike is what I'm looking at.

And for forks, the X-Fusion stuff seems to be very adjustable, and the hype for their product is through the roof.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    And for forks, the X-Fusion stuff seems to be very adjustable, and the hype for their product is through the roof.
    As an X-Fusion HiLo dropper post owner (on a Ventana, no less), I can say that the hype is unfounded and I couldn't be UNhappier with their product. In for warranty repair twice already, hopefully when it comes back this time it will be fixed and I can change my opinion. I find their customer service and response time unacceptable. We'll see.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

Lightly salted
    So no inner knowledge just constant e-mails for the last 18 months asking for a 120mm 650B frame. I finally got my answer in December and instantly put a deposit down.
    Did Ventana give you any possible release date? Maybe sea otter? 120mm 650b sounds interesting to me since Im already running my 2012 ciclon at 125mm rear.

Proud lame eBiker

It has begun!!

All the parts have arrived. Phew!! Those XX1 cassette bodies from DTSwiss are extremely rare.

Beginning of something beautiful.

Proud lame eBiker

Wheels are ready for tires now.

Time for lunch. Wheels done. The rest of the build will commence in a short time.
    880 grams rear 142mm x 12mm
    770 grams front. 15mm

And now with rotors and diamonds, I mean, XX1 cassette. Costs as much as a small handful of diamonds!

Lightly salted
    Is the wheel weight before Stan's tape and valve? What spokes, and brass or aluminum nipples?

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Is the wheel weight before Stan's tape and valve? What spokes, and brass or aluminum nipples?
    Before tape or valve.

DT Comp. spokes. (16)275, (32)276, and (16)278mm lengths.

3x

Brass nipples.

Going for longevity over saving 50grams.

Lightly salted
    Thanks, Thats pretty much exactly how I would build myself a 650b wheelset except I need to use 6 bolt 240's hubs instead of center locks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast