Lightly salted

New X-5 fork, fox talas 32 or rev air u-turn?

Hello,
    I just bought myself a new X-5 frame yesturday and wanting opinions on what fork works well with the x5. Frame is 15". I weight 155lbs with gear and ride mostly aggressive xc, with some trail/am riding when I get the chance. So I would like a light fork that does well with long xc climbs. What do you find is the best all around fork length to use, 120,130,140?

Looking to get the fox talas x-terralogic 100,120,130, fork or a revelation air u-turn 100-130.
    Any opinions on which is a better match to the x5?

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    I'd get a Pike. You will appreciate the thru-axel's stiffness on trails that the X-5 is built to subdue.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    I'd get a Pike. You will appreciate the thru-axle's stiffness on trails that the X-5 is built to subdue.
    +1

I have a Pike on the front of my 5" Salty. Best fork I've ever ridden.

D.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I've ridden a Talas on a X-5 and now a El Ciclon..........I really like the fork but am thinking about trying a Pike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I do love my PIKE but at your weight, you might not appreciate the cost/benefit of the added stiffness.
    I had a TALAS before (before terra logic) and liked it, but the new RS stuff is great. I would go with RS.

Lightly salted
    Ihave noticed there's alot of pike fans here on the Ventana board. But I do agree that the pike is a little more fork then I need, since I am such a light rider at 155lbs with all gear and tend to ride more aggressive xc type rides.between talas and revelation, it also seems like there's more people leaning towards the rev. Either one of the 2 would be an upgrade from my current fork, an old beat up marz mx pro!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    +1

I have a Pike on the front of my 5" Salty. Best fork I've ever ridden.

D.
    +2!

This is the best forks I've ever ridden. I've been riding for 15 years, and had three Fox forks (32mm stanchions) prior to this.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

29 some of the time...
    So you have it set with the 5" rockers and a fox float out back? I personally think you get a lot more bang for the buck in rockshox forks. The controls on the RS are also a bit less cluttered (as in you are not likely to change your rebound while locking it out). There is one caveat on the RS forks... They are fairly progressive, so sometimes lighter riders have a harder time getting full travel. Fox on the other hand is more linear and like to dive deeper into their travel. Between 32mm fox and RS I would go RS.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pike for me as well

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    +3 on the Pike, the only other fork I love so much is my Revelation (whoops that doesn't help.. well the Rev is on my SS HT to give an idea )

No worries.. you can setup the dual air forks pretty much the way you want.. so no worries about achieving your desired settings (takes some trail and error though)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Why do you feel the need to have terralogic on a 5" bike? When I was shopping around for a fork for my X-5, I too thought that I wanted terralogic or some sort of SPV. This was the fall of '05. I ended up with an '05 All mountain 1 (130-150mm) thanks to the recommendations of folks on this board. It is/was a great fork. I just put a new 06 All Mountain 1...same travel same adjustments, but a stiffer crown and a taller axle to crown height...I LOVE this fork.

Anyway, when I ride my NRS with a Fox F100x....I am very thankful that I never went stable platform for my X-5. In my opinon...a stable platform type of fork will be very difficult to ever make as plush as a non-stable platform bike. And, to be plush in the rough is a big reason I went with a 5" bike.

At your weight...I'd think you'd notice loss of efficiency even less than I would (I weigh in at 195, without gear). Just my 2 cents...I tend to think that on a 5" or bigger bike....an SPV/stable platform fork doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Lightly salted
    Well, I ended up buying both the fox talas x and also the rev air u-turn! I didn't think that the stable platform of the talas x fork would be over kill at my weight, but I could see how it may not be needed to much now that I think about it. I decieded to buy both since I also own a motolite that I want a new fork for. Maybe the fox with it's stable platform x cartridge, will go on the motolite which I have built to be light and quick, and the rev. on the x5? Looks like I got some testing to do! Running same head sets on both bikes so I'll end up switching forks between both bike to see which is fork is better on what frame. Should have both bikes ready by next weekend.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock
    Well, I ended up buying both the fox talas x and also the rev air u-turn! I didn't think that the stable platform of the talas x fork would be over kill at my weight, but I could see how it may not be needed to much now that I think about it. I decided to buy both since I also own a motolite that I want a new fork for. Maybe the fox with it's stable platform x cartridge, will go on the motolite which I have built to be light and quick, and the rev. on the x5? Looks like I got some testing to do! Running same head sets on both bikes so I'll end up switching forks between both bike to see which is fork is better on what frame. Should have both bikes ready by next weekend.
    It must be tough to be you

Besides getting 2 sweet forks..you have 2 sweet rides to test them on...

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    I agree with Crisillo...please, just go away...

Lightly salted
    Heres the fully built X-5 in grinch green just in time for St. P day! finished the build tonight. As soon as the fox fork comes in this week I'll begain switching the forks on rides to better compare the ride of each, enjoy!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Lightly salted

Lightly salted

Lightly salted
    Picture of my kitchen table after the build of the X-5, what a mess!