mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New vs old el capitan

Been riding a 2007 ventana el cap for 6 yrs now...I love it but am intrigued by the new el cap design. Theoretically the tapered headtube, lower bb, slightly shorter chainstays should translate to a more AM type feel than my 130 mm travel frame with 1 1/8 WB fluid 130 fork.

Anybody have any time on both or either of the models to give a comparison and if it is worth the upgrade?

Thanks

Proud lame eBiker
    Well, can't compare old El Cap to new El Cap personally, but I can tell you when I went from the old Chucho to the new Chucho the pedaling was much better and even the rear end side-side stiffness was better.

With all the upgrades to the new frame, I can't think you'd be unhappy with the new design in any way at all. Get on it! Summer is trickling away....
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Where I live, riding is 365! Socal ain't great for some things, but is fantastic for those 7-8 months a yr when the rest of the country is sitting under snow or dodging rain!

Thanks for the response! I am curious about how different the frame is mostly because I am also looking at enduro 29er, remedy 29er, and lenz lunchbox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    not quite the same, but i went from an old el rey to a new el capitain. i love the new one in every way except one: the internal cable routing for the rear derailleur is rubbish. the way the cable is routed under the BB causes extremely fast wear to the point where shifting performance is crap after a few weeks of riding. researching an alternative routing and will post a solution if i find one.

=i cannot be the only one experiencing this. similar experiences?

Team Chilidog!

New vs old el capitan

Quote Originally Posted by bicycleriderguy View Post
    not quite the same, but i went from an old el rey to a new el capitain. i love the new one in every way except one: the internal cable routing for the rear derailleur is rubbish. the way the cable is routed under the BB causes extremely fast wear to the point where shifting performance is crap after a few weeks of riding. researching an alternative routing and will post a solution if i find one.

=i cannot be the only one experiencing this. similar experiences?
    Not on an el cap but on the new ciclon I was also running into this. I was changing out my rear derailleur cable every 2-3 months because of similar problems. Didn't have that problem on the X-5, and it was the same rear derailleur and shifter--so most likely it's the cable routing.

I'm definitely interested in your solution since my husband still has a second gen ciclon.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I ended up doing the trade in with the old el cap frame and asked Sherwood to do a Capitain Zeus custom! 29er front with 150 Pike fork and Zeus rear with 27.5 wheel and 160/140 travel! That way I get the increased travel and nice short chainstays, coupled with 27 inch top tube. (Am 7 feet so to as ridiculous as it sounds...)

Frame just arrived at the LBS today...