mtbr member
    Feb 2006

New Ventana Top Tube Shape and Shifter / Brake Lever Interferance

I'm looking at purchasing an El Chucho in the near future, but I'm concerned that the standard head tube length (5.88 inches on a 19 inch frame) will require me to run my stem slammed down against the headset with no spacers and possibly with a flat bar.

If there is someone here who is running a new style curved top tube frame with no headset spacers, can you tell me if you have any issues with brake lever / shifter interference with the top tube? If this seems like it's going to be a problem, I'm thinking that I might just go the semi-custom route and pay the extra cash to get a smaller head tube built in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a Ciclon, not a Chucho, so YMMV, but I'd say it's a potential issue. Some key variables along with spacer height and shifter/lever choice are how wide your bar is, how far out you run your shifters/levers, and even whether you run your levers inside of your shifters or vice versa. Very wide spacing will tend to put the shifters/levers past the "hump," so clearance will obviously be better.

I run a 740mm low-rise bar and a 10mm spacer under my stem, and here's my experience: With my shifters outside of my brake levers, both clear no problem, but with my shifters inside of the levers, the shifters will hit the top tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I just ordered an El Chucho with a shorter head tube

Thanks for the reply. You've confirmed my suspicions, and I just ordered an El Chucho with a head tube the next size down to help give me a little more bar to top tube clearance.