Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Ventana El Comandante

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  andy f 
#1 ·
New to the family..had to show off a bit. I don't know if there's an official color title for this yet but I believe it's basically matte electric superdust...as far as I'm aware this is the first bike in this color (visited the shop and Sherwood had a test sample he had just done). Looks wicked in real life because you still get some of the sparkle in the powder albeit with a matte finish. Also had cable runs added and of course went with the new dropouts so I can run belt.

See less See more
#3 ·
very nice!

Do you know if the dropouts save any weight over the EBB option? I'm currently the owner of Commandante as well (had it for year..EBB), and the new dropouts have me curious. I'm not sure if I'd ever run belt, but I have some ideas for a semi-custom Commandante, and am curious if the new dropouts have any weight savings over the EBB and if they're worth to get if I don't plan on belt drive.

#5 ·
Super sweet frame! Best of all worlds: SS, belt and or geared. Tyrone, no weight savings...you can assume there are some ounces add compared to the EBB. I'm not a huge fan of the EBB system so the sliding dropouts is an awesome upgrade. I'm getting one of these bad boys soon too.

#6 ·
Rebel66 said:
Super sweet frame! Best of all worlds: SS, belt and or geared. Tyrone, no weight savings...you can assume there are some ounces add compared to the EBB. I'm not a huge fan of the EBB system so the sliding dropouts is an awesome upgrade. I'm getting one of these bad boys soon too.
Yeah that's one of my positives of working with a manufacturer like Ventana. You can really get a versatile setup.

#12 ·
Rebel66 said:
Hey Hypokondriak, are you close to having the El Comandante built up? Post some pictures when you do. I bet it's awesome.

Cheers
While we're waiting, I'll take the opportunity to throw my mine up. Then we can have a 'Comandante Off' :)

Waiting for BB toll to re-install my Middleburn cranks plus some white Ergon GA1 grips. Other than that good to go.

Frame: El Comandante custom sliders & gear stops
Fork: Fox F 29 2010 QR15
Wheelset: Hope Pro 2 / Stans Arches
Drivetrain: Middleburn Cranks / SKF BB / Gates Carbon Belt Drive
Pedals: Shimano M424
Derailleurs: None
Shifters: None
Brakes: Formula R1
Saddle: Selle Italia Gel
Seatpost:Gravity Dropper
Stem: Thomson X4
Headset: Chris King
Bars: Niner
Grips: Ergon GA1

Attachments

#14 ·
Rebel66 said:
Hey Hypokondriak, are you close to having the El Comandante built up? Post some pictures when you do. I bet it's awesome.

Cheers
Actually it's still hanging out on the floor in my living room as parts have been back ordered due to holidays. Gonna do the Gates belt drive, king hubs/bb, etc. I'll post up when it's a bit further along.

#17 ·
HeezaGeeza said:
While we're waiting, I'll take the opportunity to throw my mine up. Then we can have a 'Comandante Off' :)

Waiting for BB toll to re-install my Middleburn cranks plus some white Ergon GA1 grips. Other than that good to go.

Frame: El Comandante custom sliders & gear stops
Fork: Fox F 29 2010 QR15
Wheelset: Hope Pro 2 / Stans Arches
Drivetrain: Middleburn Cranks / SKF BB / Gates Carbon Belt Drive
Pedals: Shimano M424
Derailleurs: None
Shifters: None
Brakes: Formula R1
Saddle: Selle Italia Gel
Seatpost:Gravity Dropper
Stem: Thomson X4
Headset: Chris King
Bars: Niner
Grips: Ergon GA1
That's an amazing ride you have there.

#21 ·
Joan B said:
Wow! A bike to dream. I discover SS on a 94 Explosif, and I'm sure my next hardtail must be a Ventana El Comandante. I could ride with Bob from Ventana Bikes at the Ventana Gathering and it was really nice! No gears, no shock, no fork, being one with the trail.
Plus, you can work on your wheelie skills.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.