RD: XTR
    RF Atlas FR bar, red
    Hammerschmidt
    2010 Lyrik Coil U-Turn w/DH damper installed
    Oury Lock-on grips
    SRAM PC991 chain
    Thomson X4 stem, black
    Straitline platform pedals

I have the RD on hand, the rest Larry's putting together for me. Any thoughts on how the HammerSchmidt will pedal with a TM frame? I know there's at least one TM owner out there running one. Curious to see how this frame and build compare to my 2005 X-5 with Marz Bomber/Fox DHX 5...

Team Chilidog!
    Great build. Sounds wonderful

I do have a question for you. Where did you find a ti coil for a CCDB that fits a TM? That's a 7.87 x 2.25 right? From what I understand, they don't get ti coils except for those that are for much larger shocks.

Let me know how it compares. I'm running more of an X-6 (slacked out X-5 to 67 HA with 160mm rockers), but I'm always curious on the difference of the bikes.

How do you like the straitline pedals? I have the Speedplay drilliums, but the Straitlines look a bit thinner.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Great build. Sounds wonderful

I do have a question for you. Where did you find a ti coil for a CCDB that fits a TM? That's a 7.87 x 2.25 right? From what I understand, they don't get ti coils except for those that are for much larger shocks.

Stripes, if I remember right, Chad at Red Barn got me mine. And yes:

ID 1.43 (36mm)
    OD 2.1

7.875 x 2.25
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Larry is sourcing everything for me and installing the dh damper in the u-turn as well. I live in Japan so I'll be putting it all on the bike; based on the fit/finish of the frame I think the bb and ht are already faced properly, so I am hopeful I won't run into snags.

Oh, and about the pedals--don't know as I've not tried them yet. I picked them up based on Larry's recommendation and reviews I've seen. I'll let you know, though, how they feel/hold up.

mtbr member
    Great build, looking forward to pictures!

I have a Hammerschnitzel on my TM, and I love it. Pedalling feels great in every gear, real techy slow climbing is best. Not sure why but the TM is very lively when rock crawling. Did you have the frame made with the HS in mind? I ask because the stock ISCG tabs place the backplate of the HS against one of the pivot bolts. No biggie, but it took some work to get it right.

The TM is an awesome bike and it will take your riding up a notch or two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Calhoun, no, the frame is bog-stock; I'd read that a 1mm spacer should do the trick, though. Can you confirm that? Great news on the performance, however. Any trouble with mud/etc.?

mtbr member
    Spacer (can't remember size) will work and that is what I originally did. It would probably been fine but I decided I didn't like using the spacer so I removed material from the head of the pivot shaft. Now the plate is sitting flush with the BB and clears the pivot.

I actually have not had any troubles with the HS. I have beat the crap out of it and it keeps spinning. Every three months or so I like to take things apart and re-grease and re-torque (hubs, cranks, RD etc.) Each time I have it apart I am amazed. It is really cool to spin the gears and engage the pawls.

Mud is a non-issue. I did have some pack up one time, but my rear wheel was so gummed up it didn't matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Finally!

It took four months the parts to arrive, four looooong months, but I have them now and the build is pretty sweet. I didn't have the Sram HS-specific shifter pod but the XTR seems to work, I just have an extra click I don't use. I believe there's a way to reduce that to two and I will try to do so. Larry said he's getting conflicting information about which Ti spring weight to send me so that's not on yet. Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week when I take it on a week-long trip to southern Japan. Now I need to set the CCDB and Lyrik to some baseline numbers and go from there--any recommendations for 215lb rider on singletrack/DH-type runs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New TM build underway-et_01.jpg  

New TM build underway-et_02.jpg  

New TM build underway-et_03.jpg  

New TM build underway-et_04.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here is some setup info on the CCDB/TM
    Just be wary of the HSC control - the TM tends to bottom a bit easy at the end of the travel, so adjust HSC for days when you'll be going big!

Bike is looking KILLER!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks great Paul!

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Looks nice! The cable routing could use some work or maybe the white cables just make it stand out more. Neverless, looks super fun and capable!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I agree about the cables--gotta be honest, after four months I just wanted it built in time to ride for the weekend!

Thanks for the setup info--will play with the settings tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    wow wow wow WOW! The 'moto with the CCDB and Lyrik is amazing: tight, controlled, flowing, eats up terrain! The Hammerschmidt and Gravity Dropper are also fantastic and are exactly right for the bike, I think. Just had one of the best rides ever with mattf and kmoran in the mountains outside Tokyo. Crazy hike-a-bike up but the payoff was sweet sweeping singletrack with what seemed like a good 50 switchbacks or more and the Ventanas were railing! I also really liked the new Bronson 2.3s in the sticky loam--the front was planted and I could feel as it got to the edge of its grip. Great day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

curious

about the HSC setting that character z mentioned. i've got a terremoto that i couldn't ride w/o putting in a shim in the HV can of the RP23. did you have to dial it in a fair amount?

mighty fine looking Ventana by the way
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have the HSC @ 12; the PDF from RS said 10. I haven't taken any drops bigger than, oh 0.3m or so yet, though. This coming week I am traveling down to southern Japan to ride my old trails and will be doing 1~1.5m drops, though, so I'll see how it does then.