banned

New RP23 = Overdamped and Dead Feeling

No Bueno. Ventana is selling RP23 with the highest compression setting and the medium rebound setting (yes, these are adjustable - but fox makes different valving for different bikes).

Forgive me for saying this - but this is totally the wrong shock for the bike. A bike with a 2:1 leverage ratio can get away with much lower damping, as more oil is moved, faster than in higher leverage ratio bikes.

The result? Dead feeling rear suspension - doesn't feel anywhere near as playful as it did with the Manitou swinger.

I hope Teresa has other shocks available for me!

Captain Underpants
    RP23 felt the same way on the Sultan. (yeah, I know, different bikes. anyway)

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Ditto!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Powered by ice cream.
    2007 RP23 felt the same on a Lenz Lunchbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Homer's problem child
    Mine too. Going to Push post X-mas.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    Mine too. Going to Push post X-mas.

B
    4 out of 4 so far. No one likes the over-damped RP23's. Whadup with that? Why don't they sell options for lesser damped versions??

No, that's not phonetic
    FWIW, I luv the RP23 on my Spot (which has a "medium" compression tune).

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    4 out of 4 so far. No one likes the over-damped RP23's. Whadup with that? Why don't they sell options for lesser damped versions??
    Can anyone explain the relationship between the internal propedal and overall damping? Reason I ask is that I recall David Turner saying somewhere that he specs the rp23 with the lowest amount of propedal possible. So if they are related, it is possible that Fox just does not make one with less damping.

But as I don't really understand the relationship here, I'll let others weigh in with the correct information.

At least the platform works better than the platform on the rp3.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I currently running a 3way on my El Cap. I like it better than my PUSHed RP23.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running the RP23 on my Spot and I like it quite a bit. I'm not 100% sure that PUSH can make it significantly better but I may eventually get it (and the Pike) tuned by them.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I'm running the RP23 on my Spot and I like it quite a bit. I'm not 100% sure that PUSH can make it significantly better but I may eventually get it (and the Pike) tuned by them.
    Which factory damping setting(s)?

jrm
    mtbr member

PUSHed mine...

And installed a high volume canister. Made a big difference..

EDIT: im looking for a vanilla R...
    Last edited by jrm; 12-17-2007 at 08:00 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Fox misinformed DT about what the compression "tune" refers to. They told him it was the amount of Propedal damping applied only when the PP lever was turned on. This is what happens when the sales department at Fox does not talk to the engineers at Fox. DT wanted a near lockout on the Sultan when you turn the PP lever on, but was led to believe that when the PP was turned off it would be just as plush as any other Fox. The tune bar graph actually refers to the constant background level of compression damping irrespective of where the PP lever is set. The PP lever just adds more platform when you flip it on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My HV can is hiding somewhere since I just cleaned up the place. I believe the sticker on the shock said "Medium" but I'll check that as soon as I find the can. I run it usually on firmness setting "2" and rarely turn the propedal switch on with the regular can.

jrm
    mtbr member

There are three triangles

representing low-medium and high internal PP settings located on the bottom rim of the low volume canister. The triangle filled in, in white is the internal level of PP set @ fox.

From what i understand unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer RP 23s were shipped with medium internal settings..

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon
    I currently running a 3way on my El Cap. I like it better than my PUSHed RP23.

Interesting..........the PUSHed RP3 on my early 06 El Cap w 4" travel is still performing very nicely ! Couldn't be happier although admittedly the PUSHed Race System Vanilla RC on my Bruja is friggen plusher than sex on a waterbed ! I'd love to try a CCDB on the Beast someday...........they are only 650 bucks right ! TIG.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Interesting..........the PUSHed RP3 on my early 06 El Cap w 4" travel is still performing very nicely ! Couldn't be happier although admittedly the PUSHed Race System Vanilla RC on my Bruja is friggen plusher than sex on a waterbed ! I'd love to try a CCDB on the Beast someday...........they are only 650 bucks right ! TIG.
    Thus far my Manitou Swinger has been a much better shock. The platform in the Swinger is adjustable via air pressure - it can be adjusted from zero platform - to super stiff. I bought it for $99 from Santa Cruz. Unfortunately the rebuild on the Swinger hiccuped and now the IFP is percolating.

The RP3, even in the lowest compression setting, makes the bike feel like a hardtail. Bums me out, considering I just bought it!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Thus far my Manitou Swinger has been a much better shock. The platform in the Swinger is adjustable via air pressure - it can be adjusted from zero platform - to super stiff. I bought it for $99 from Santa Cruz. Unfortunately the rebuild on the Swinger hiccuped and now the IFP is percolating.

The RP3, even in the lowest compression setting, makes the bike feel like a hardtail. Bums me out, considering I just bought it!
    I felt the same way with my RP23 felt that way, even Push'd. I opted for a DHX 5.0 coil Push'd, and I'm much happier.

I like the feel of something plush, but turning my El Tigre into a hardtail was just not right.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Shovel Ready
    Mine is marked on the smallest bar out of the three. Works fantastic, but I am heavy dude so that might have something to do with it. I also have the HV canister. I did not order it when I purchased my El Rey from Red Barn. Chad just set me up with what he thought was correct for my weight and I'm happy he did! I'll have my RP23 Pushed down the road. No need until I blow it out or it needs serviced.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Fox misinformed DT about what the compression "tune" refers to. They told him it was the amount of Propedal damping applied only when the PP lever was turned on. This is what happens when the sales department at Fox does not talk to the engineers at Fox. DT wanted a near lockout on the Sultan when you turn the PP lever on, but was led to believe that when the PP was turned off it would be just as plush as any other Fox. The tune bar graph actually refers to the constant background level of compression damping irrespective of where the PP lever is set. The PP lever just adds more platform when you flip it on.
    So then . . . there is propedal damping even when the lever is in the off position?

Just trying to clarify.

banned
    So then . . . there is propedal damping even when the lever is in the off position?

Just trying to clarify.
    YES. There is most definitely compression damping regardless where you have the lever postioned. Whether this is "propedal" or not might depend on whether it's position sensitive - fox claims propedal only affects the fist 1/3rd of travel.

The factory settings apperantly create baseline compression and rebound - from there you can only adjust upwards.

If the Salty had a super high leverage ratio - having the highest level compression setting, and medium (baseline) rebound setting would make sense. As it is, the suspension is dead.

I feel a bit bad for posting this online as I feel like Ventana has taken great care of me - and I don't mean to tarnish their image - I think it's more a matter of information. It appears many have the same issues with the shocks - their only answer being "dump more money into it." (have it Pushed, buy a DHXair, etc). It shouldn't be too much to ask to have the right shock spec'd for the bike.

Minding the baseline damping settings on Fox shox can really make or break how the bike ends up riding!