mtbr member

New (to me) El Capitan

Hello all, Long story short I bought an Astrix Rook hard tail 29er approx a year ago and decided I liked the 29er thing but wanted a bit more cush on the rocky, technical NJ trails that I ride. I had figured I would get an El Rey given that I had always fancied a Ventana but then I saw Endomaniac's El Capitan frame at a great price in the classifieds so I went for it. The bike is a mixture of old and new parts and built up as a solid trail bike. So far so good with the bike but I need more time riding and fiddling before I say too much. It even seems to get on well with his small wheeled Turner garage mate! I am still experimenting with the cable routing too. Pics and specs below.

Frame: 19" El Capitan
    Shock: RP3
    Fork: White Bros custom Fluid 115mm w/Thru Axle (no clearance issues)
    Headset: King
    Stem: Sunline V1 All Mtn OS 85mm (different looking but works well)
    Bar: Truvativ carbon team OS
    Grips: Lizard Skinz lockon
    Brakes: 06 Juicy 7s with dangerboy levers & 08 160mm rotors
    Crank/BB/Ring: 08 Shimano XT with E-13 bashguard
    Shifters: 07 X9,
    Rear Der: 07 X9
    Front Der: XT
    Chain: PC 990
    Cassette: XT 11-34
    Pedals: Xpedo (light, cheap and good even in the mud)
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Seatpost Hope
    Saddle: very old WTB Rocket V ti
    Wheels: Hope Bulbs laced to DT Swiss TK 7.1 Rims (brass nips)
    Tires: either Pannaracer Rampage 2.35s or Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s (for racing)

I'll follow up with a few action shots and a proper review some time soon.

Captain Underpants
    Very nice. I'd say you got a great deal on an excellent steed!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    looks awesome! congrats!

mtbr member
    Looks good to me!!!
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Cool.........the El Capitan will become kinda rare now that its discontinued ( that's a good thing in my book since I have one and love it ) ! TIG.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    The bike looks great, glad to see itís in action again. That is one kick ass frame. Which fork is that? 135?

To keep the cables from bowing and getting in the way, I ran the brake around the right side of the top tube and the rear d cable around the left side, then crossed them between the top tube and seat tube. I zip tied them to the rockers using 2 zip ties at each point, one zip tie around the rocker holding the second zip tie loose around the cable and then loosely zip tied the two cable together where they crossed. That seamed to work out very well. I tried something similar to what you have going on and it bugged me that the cables would bow out to one side as the suspension moved and I would hit my calf on them.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    The bike looks great, glad to see itís in action again. That is one kick ass frame. Which fork is that? 135?

To keep the cables from bowing and getting in the way, I ran the brake around the right side of the top tube and the rear d cable around the left side, then crossed them between the top tube and seat tube. I zip tied them to the rockers using 2 zip ties at each point, one zip tie around the rocker holding the second zip tie loose around the cable and then loosely zip tied the two cable together where they crossed. That seamed to work out very well. I tried something similar to what you have going on and it bugged me that the cables would bow out to one side as the suspension moved and I would hit my calf on them.
    an alterantive for the cable routing can be to use a piece of tube with 2 zip ties 69ing through the tube.... see below

Salty's first ride

mtbr member
    Thanks for the cable routing tips guys - Endomaniac - FYI the fork is actually a custom 115mm Fluid TA made by White Bros with a A-C just a hair (like 2-3mm) higher than a 100mm Reba - the thing climbs great - also I love Through axles (I have a Pike).