spr
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New main pivot location question

Hi All,

The main pivot has been moved up for 2012.

How does this change will influence (advantage/disadvantage from previous main pivot location)?

1:Rocky, ledgy, technical climbing and pedal in the rough

2:Pedal efficiency

3:latteral stiffness

4: Active and plush rear suspention

Thx

Itay

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have put about about 300 miles on a 2012 El Ciclon. I have it set at 150mm travel. I was using an El Terremoto and an El Ciclon depending on what I felt like using on that day. I use the shock set on 0 on the new RP23 that came with the frame, the ride is really plush without any noticeable pedal influence on the shock even when standing. I have not noticed any flex whatsover. I have cleaned climbs on this bike that I have not managed before, because of roots and ledges that I have been able to ride over that have stopped me before. I have ridden DH runs,climbed step technical singletrack, jumps, drops highest so far about 8ft, wet roots, rocks, mud. This bike seems to roll quicker than all my other Ventana bikes and I have used the same wheels and forks on most of them. The cable routing is great, no big loops around the rockers and the build quality and paint as usual are superb. I think the new frames are great.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New Ciclon for old Terremoto?

So would you say the new Ciclon would be a capable replacement for the old Terremoto?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spr View Post
    Hi All,

The main pivot has been moved up for 2012.

How does this change will influence (advantage/disadvantage from previous main pivot location)?

1:Rocky, ledgy, technical climbing and pedal in the rough

2:Pedal efficiency

3:latteral stiffness

4: Active and plush rear suspention

Thx

Itay
    The higher pivot should theoretically have more pedal feedback but more efficiency, so less plush in ledgy technical climbing, but less prone to bob and squat.

In practice, however, pedal feedback still feels totally absent, and the bike retains the supple, tractor-like feel in the granny ring of the earlier design--perhaps even improving on it. It's very active and very plush in rough terrain, pedaling or not.

As for pedal efficiency, the new design reduces bob, and, with the shorter stays, really opens up possibilities for climbing out of the saddle. Propedal is still useful on smoother climbs, however.

Lateral stiffness is simply off the charts. Someone up in Rancho Cordova has a major stiffness fetish, and until he works it out with his therapist, we're all the beneficiaries.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehyena View Post
    So would you say the new Ciclon would be a capable replacement for the old Terremoto?
    yes, actually. the frame is so solid (and plush) that you can ride it more like a FR bike than you'd expect. of course, we'll see what the 2012 terremoto looks like. i'd choose between the two based on the fork i wanted to run.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Someone up in Rancho Cordova has a major stiffness fetish, and until he works it out with his therapist, we're all the beneficiaries.

Best quote of 2011....by FAR!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have replaced my El Terremoto with the new El Ciclon. For me it is a better allround bike. I can still do all the dh and jumpy stuff and it climbs better and feels swifter and more nimble through the tight woody tracks I like.
    AJR