mtbr member

New El Rey with 120mm forks?

Hi,

For some time I as considering going back to full bounce bike. Good memories of HL 5Spot never dies
    As now on I'm using 29er single speed/geared bike I thought about full bounce 29er as well.

I'm not racing, I'm not looking for grams sheading, but I'm not either hardcore rider.

Therefore I'm looking for something 120/100mm of bounce.

And my question is: does new El Rey accept 120mm forks? Or it is going to ruin handling of the bike completly?

Every input welcome.

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm running a 135mm White Brothers Fluid on my older model El Rey with great success. My riding style is very aggressive and even on flatter trail I have zero issues weighting the front tire through corners. Going up hill I also really like it as the front end sticks as it should, but is pretty easy to loft up and over obstacles with a minor weight shift and tug on the bar, which is something 29ers typically have trouble with given their wheelbase and forward weight bias. I say go for it with the 120mm fork, but if you're at all concerned about it not working out then I'd get something with travel adjust down to 100mm as well.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had the same question as I'm working towards a trade in on my Salty for an El Rey. I asked Sherwood about this, specifically using a Fox 29 TALAS which is 120mm - 95mm. He was very enthusiastic about this combo, even going as far as saying it would be his choice for the El Rey. Granted, this would differ from what you are asking as it would include the option of dropping to 95 on the steeps. I think it depends on what terrain you ride. I have always loved travel adjust forks, had a Marz with ETA and a Revelation with U-turn. Nice if you can only have one bike!

mtbr member
    Hi,

Cheers chaps!

I'm on the oposite side of the fence. I REALLY hate travel adjustment on forks.
    At the moment got On-One Inbred with Reba Air U-Turn - paid small money so haven't paid any attention onto U-Turn feature - set on 120mm. Never had a need of winding forks down.

El Rey looks like good option for universal trail/light AM bike, especially with 120mm up front.

As an option I was considerring Titus Rockstar - very good deal on frame on the On-One website - or SC Tallboy.

However Titus seems to be to racing-stiff in suspension, and Tallboy's price is absolutelly outrageous...

Cheers!
    I.
    Last edited by IvanMTB; 05-17-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    LoMF syndrome...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanMTB View Post
    I REALLY hate travel adjustment on forks.
    I used to think that travel adjust was very useful (Marzocchi's ETA on their 105mm fork still my favorite implementation of it) - until I got an adjustable seatpost and stopped riding with post not at full extension for climbing (so that I do not have to stop and drop it when going gets faster and rougher).

mtbr member
    Thanks once again for feedback.

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the 95-120 talas on my new El Rey. It is great. I prefer the 95 for the vast majority of riding, and use the 120 for longer and more technical decents. It's an excellent combo. I do feel that the 120 is too long for flat and uphill riding. I would not get a 120 without the shorter travel option.

mtbr member
    Cheers!

As I already stated I hate travel adjustment feature in forks, so even having one like this at the moment I'm never using it.
    As long as frame is going to withstand 120mm of fron tavel and won't be doing anything to stupid with such set-up I'm happy.
    Out of my last 3 bikes 2 of them were seriously overforked so I'm not bothering myself with climbing problems. Just a matter of small adjustment to riding technique

Cheers!
    I.
    LoMF syndrome...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the 95-120 Talas as well and love it. I run it at 95 the majority of the time but open it up to 120 on the larger steeps in the area. Awesome.