mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New El Circlon single ring

I just purchased a new El Circlon as a trail bike, I will be running it with 1x10.

Im just curious if anyone has worked out the best size ring for the linkage?
    As I understand it the ring size can affect the pedal characteristics and having the chain/chainring radius as close to the main pivot is best?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    To have the most active suspension, yes, having the chainring radius go thru the main pivot would be best. However, is that that what you are hoping to accomplish? Or are you wishing for better pedaling platform or ???

Your best bet? Give Sherwood a call (916) 631-0544. I do recall (from a conversation back in 2011 so a bit fuzzy) that the new pivot location was optimized for 2X10, XX1 and such hadn't come out yet so give him a call and he'll give you the low down.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agreed. IMO, it's difficult to say there's an optimum chainring size unless you have a specific goal in mind.

That's what I like about having at least two chainrings; you get more anti-squat in the small chainring, which makes sense given that you use it when climbing steep grades, and less anti-squat in the 32-34 chainring, which keeps the suspension more active when pedaling on descents.

In any case, it would be interesting to hear what S'wood tells you if you give him a call.

Lightly salted
    I ran my ciclon 1x10, 32x11-36. Felt good to me. Personally I would run the biggest front ring your legs allow. I would spin out the 32-11 gearing once in a while, but that was the biggest front ring I could get away with.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I ran my ciclon 1x10, 32x11-36. Felt good to me. Personally I would run the biggest front ring your legs allow. I would spin out the 32-11 gearing once in a while, but that was the biggest front ring I could get away with.

I ran mine with a 32T, 30T and 28T. The 28T had way too much bob, and that had me really miserable. The smallest I would run is a 30T. My legs can't push the 32T with the climbing we do here in the Bay Area.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women