Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New Ciclon ordered!

Thanks to Todd at Uinta bikes, I ordered a new Ciclon frame today!

RP23, quad bearings, and best of all......ARMY GREEN. I cant wait. I think I'm going to go with full XT and a Talas 32. I'm taking the plunge and going tubless with an 819 rim / DT swiss wheel set as well. Anyone else running this setup? I'm looking for a UST tire selection. Stay tuned for pics and the build......

Thanks again Todd and the folks at Ventana!!!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Here is my El Ciclon..........Go Army
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sick......I've been drooling over pics of your bike for a few weeks now!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice, pipes! Congrats!

mtbr member
    awesome! I like the matte aspect of the army green.

what's your typical riding ground? Not easy for a tire selection without knowing a bit more about you. weight? style?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I guess some details would help huh.

5' 9" 165lbs, I like to ride technical cross country, logs, small ledges, rocky uphills, twisty and tight. I also like to go fast downhill (but who doesn't) no drops or hucks. I'm in the Park City, UT area and mostly ride locally with few trips to the desert (moab / gooseberry) each year. Usually dusty dry hardpack and no mud.

I had a Motolite with a Nevegal DTC 2.35 on the front and a 2.1 on the rear. Generally I liked them, however the rear wore out very quickly (soft rubber?) This was expensive, and I'm getting poorer by the minute.

Does this help?

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes1212
    I guess some details would help huh.

5' 9" 165lbs, I like to ride technical cross country, logs, small ledges, rocky uphills, twisty and tight. I also like to go fast downhill (but who doesn't) no drops or hucks. I'm in the Park City, UT area and mostly ride locally with few trips to the desert (moab / gooseberry) each year. Usually dusty dry hardpack and no mud.

I had a Motolite with a Nevegal DTC 2.35 on the front and a 2.1 on the rear. Generally I liked them, however the rear wore out very quickly (soft rubber?) This was expensive, and I'm getting poorer by the minute.

Does this help?
    I'd be interested in a comparison with the MotoLite, if you don't mind.

MTB Missionary

Good job!

Thanks to Todd at Uinta bikes, I ordered a new Ciclon frame today!

RP23, quad bearings, and best of all......ARMY GREEN. I cant wait. I think I'm going to go with full XT and a Talas 32. I'm taking the plunge and going tubless with an 819 rim / DT swiss wheel set as well. Anyone else running this setup? I'm looking for a UST tire selection. Stay tuned for pics and the build......

Thanks again Todd and the folks at Ventana!!!
    Very NOOOOice ride, Pipes! The Army Green rocks. As you know, the quality of the paint/paintjob on V's is so spectacular, just about any color looks good.

I'm on King Hubs laced to 819's with DT Swiss Comp spokes. I've tried a lot of tires over the years, and for now I'm on a Schwalbe Albert (2.25) in the rear, and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic (2.25) up front (my OCD just won't let me put a bigger sized tire in the front ). My conditions can be a bit wetter than what you've described, but for all around usage, I like the combo I've got a lot. They aren't cheap, though.

A really good all around tubeless tire that is very inexpensive is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro (look on Jenson, PricePoint, etc for the best deal). But they only go up to 2.1's in the tubeless, which is a bit to skinny for my taste. I've been on tubeless wheels for over 5 years, and I'd never go back. BTW, be sure to run Stan's in the tires and you won't have to even think about a flat.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDDS
    (my OCD just won't let me put a bigger sized tire in the front ). .
    sorry if I mess with your OCD, but the albert and NN might not be exactly the same size if you measure them with a caliper

do you also match rotor sizes? if you also do, you could be in for a treat once you go bigger up front

MTB Missionary
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    sorry if I mess with your OCD, but the albert and NN might not be exactly the same size if you measure them with a caliper

do you also match rotor sizes? if you also do, you could be in for a treat once you go bigger up front
    (With fingers in my ears and eyes closed) "LA LA LA LA....not listening to you.....LA LA LA LA".....dude, you're freakin' me out!!

Yeah Cris, I know the Nic's are not really 2.25's when you really get to true measurements ...but I'm not putting a caliper on them....that just might push me over the edge! Almost as bad for my OCD as not lining up the writing on the tires with Mavic 819 stickers on my hoops! Actually, I better go check that right now.......Man, I think I need professional help....

I'm running 160's front and rear, with Juicy Carbons. I don't have any problem braking...but I have thought about stepping up a size in the front. Does it make that much of a difference?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quasi, I did a comparison a while back , you can read it here. I've ridden the Ciclon more since then, and I think I was pretty close before. One additional thing I have found is that with RP23 Propedal on, and the Talas at it's shortest setting, it climbs remarkably like my Motolite did. The bonus is that I can flick the switch and haul ass down hill Have you ridden both? I'd be interested in your impressions.

MTBDDS, I was glad to hear you mention those Schwalbe tires. I have heard good things about the Nobby Nic. Bummer theyre spendy. If they are not truly 2.25 are they larger or smaller? I think I might go with King hubs as well. Gold maybe?! Would that be too obnoxious?

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDDS

I'm running 160's front and rear, with Juicy Carbons. I don't have any problem braking...but I have thought about stepping up a size in the front. Does it make that much of a difference?

oh yes it does

[

MTBDDS, I was glad to hear you mention those Schwalbe tires. I have heard good things about the Nobby Nic. Bummer theyre spendy. If they are not truly 2.25 are they larger or smaller? I think I might go with King hubs as well. Gold maybe?! Would that be too obnoxious?
    not MTBDDS, but here goes (MTBDDS, DON'T READ THIS!!! )

the NN 2.25 is about 2.1" wide (depending on rim and pressure of course), however it is a tall tire, so the volume is good if that is what you are looking for...

MTB Missionary
    Quasi, I did a comparison a while back , you can read it here. I've ridden the Ciclon more since then, and I think I was pretty close before. One additional thing I have found is that with RP23 Propedal on, and the Talas at it's shortest setting, it climbs remarkably like my Motolite did. The bonus is that I can flick the switch and haul ass down hill Have you ridden both? I'd be interested in your impressions.

As Crisillo pointed out (thanks dude...you just made me go back on my meds ), the Nobby Nic's are a bit smaller than 2.25. However, when I look at them directly beside a Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 Tubeless with the same tire pressure, the Nobby Nic is noticeable wider and taller. But, it is also a little smaller in width than the Albert 2.25. In all honesty, I haven't noticed any problems with the tire being a bit under 2.25". It corners great and hooks up well. I clean climbs on my Ventana with the Schwalbe's that I never could quit get on my Superlight w/ Panaracers....and the SL is over 3 lbs lighter....and has now demoted to my son's bike!!

As far as the Gold King Hubs....I was going to say that would be too much (approaching the need to lower your bike and put a "spinner wheelset" on )....but then again, I have King hubs and headset in Mango on my Grinch Green Salty, so who am I to judge. Thing looks like a big slice of watermelon...but that's another story.

Also, check out Sherwood's army green Bruja with custom cut yellow decals and yellow rims in the "Choice betwixt Army Green..." thread. That thing looks sswwweeeeeettttt! So I'm thinking the gold might just work.......ok, it probably won't, but who cares....just get that puppy together and hit the trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    approaching the need to lower your bike and put a "spinner wheelset" on
    That made me laugh. Fuzzy dice, some chain link bars, and a purple velvet seat?
    It may be too much.

GMM
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=One additional thing I have found is that with RP23 Propedal on, and the Talas at it's shortest setting, it climbs remarkably like my Motolite did. The bonus is that I can flick the switch and haul ass down hill Have you ridden both?QUOTE]

Thanks for adding that detail regarding the RP23. I test rode a Ciclon, and it felt great, but I was definately concerned about the efficiency I would give up in climbing. I wish I could have tried one with the RP23. If I did, I think I would have a final decision by now on my new frame instead of this endless search. There are so many good bikes these days [I have also demo'd a Motolite, BLT, & Mojo], although I will say the Ciclon was my favorite for downhill fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It's here!

Finally here!

Talked to Todd today, and he said the UPS gods had delivered.

I guess it's an 08? New gusset on the downtube and a new housing guard on the toptube. Without the butted tubing it weighed in heavier than the old models. 7 lbs on the nose. Not sure how I feel about that.....curious about others opinions. Anyway I'm pumped. Came home and took some pics!

She's currently lounging in the recliner.....

Looks great...can't wait to see the build pics.

What did the '07's weigh? I didn't weigh mine at frame only with air shock. Now she is at just over 34 lbs. though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    6.5 lbs ....I think

Looks great, pipes!

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    looking fantastic! Waiting for the full built pics. Is Army green stock now?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Great looking Ciclon, Pipes. The army green is a kick a$$ color, 2nd only to my Cosmic Gray Ciclon!

I ordered mine only a short while ago, and your right about the slight differences in the frame. Different gusset, added cable guide and straight gauge tubing (can't see it). By the way, my frame weighed in at 6.7lbs with RP23 shock, no headset.

That added cable guide was needed. I'm going to be adding a stick on one in the near future in the same place.

Here's a pic of mine to compare...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004

that pic is psick!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey Pipes I want to see some buildup pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    After a long winter, I finally ordered the parts. Got some of them put on last week, here are the pics.

Can you see the bike in there?

Todd installs the headset....I splurged and got the King, I always wanted one. Plus I think the pewter looks great with the Talas and Ventana badge.

Crank goes in. I love the way parts look when they're brand new.....

Getting there.

I should have it finished soon, I had to wait on a front derailleur and I need to order tires. I'll post more pics when finished.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast