Map Maker

New Ciclon build - one more Fork question thread!

I am getting a new frame- either a El Ciclon (90%) or a 5.5 spot (10%).
    I am really torn about which fork to get.

Either the 08 Fox Talas RLC -
    Pros: get to keep old wheel set , Cons: reliabilty issues?

or the Rock Shox Pike 454 U-turn (air or coil?)
    Pros - thru axle stiffness, Cons - need a new front wheel , Haven't had a Rock shock since 2001 judy. If I go with this I will lace up a Hope Pro II to a mavic 717.

Anybody ride both? any advice?

I have done a search and read all the setup threads in both the Turner and Ventana forums. untill this week I was set on Fox. I am having second thoughts - After reading some bad reviews on blowing seals and such on the Talas.

I am 180 lbs - my current ride is an old '02 Enduro that can go 4" or 5" with a Vanilla RLC 130mm fork. I ride East coast rocks and roots filled single track - heavy XC with a few small drops.
    I am building my Dream bike and need some help.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Proud lame eBiker
    From my personal experience, get the Pike. Super smooth right out of the box. The Maxle is killer to use, easy! And servicing the Pike is as easy as one, two, three.
    Fox, in my mind, is overpriced and not trail trust worthy over time.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Bodhisattva
    I'm a Pike fan as well. Great performing shock & super adjustable. Plus you get the maxle which makes for a very stiff fork.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Map Maker
    nice avatar
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess
    nice avatar
    back atcha

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    another vote for the Pike!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pike here too...hold on, I already gave my 2 cents.
    But since it is in the relevant forum, the 20mm axle matches the stiffness of the V frame excellently - you will notice!

Hmmm....GD, Richmond...guessing you frequent Cary St. Cafe?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I have a Fox 32 Talas on my El Ciclon.......and I feel the fork flex. I'm in the process of getting a Lyric, Fox 36 Talas or a Pike. I think you will find most hard core (5" or 6" Travel) Ventana owners run thru axles. Ole' thru axles

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Another Pike recommendation here. Your getting a nice stiff frame, get a nice stiff fork to go with it. You WILL notice the difference. Now having said that, I'm running a Marzocchi 55ATA on my Ciclon. I keep going bigger with the fork....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a Pike, Fox is a good fork - better, more consistent damping than the Pike - but is too flexy...

Personally I would go with a Marz XC700 or a 130mm Z1 Sport but that wasn't one of your choices...

Unfit Norwegian
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    Get a Pike, Fox is a good fork - better, more consistent damping than the Pike - but is too flexy...
    That's where PUSH comes in!

Anyhow: I also ended up choosing a pike for my Ciclón. A coil one, though.

That being said; A fox 32 is very stiff for a 9mm QR fork.

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    That's where PUSH comes in!

Anyhow: I also ended up choosing a pike for my Ciclón. A coil one, though.

That being said; A fox 32 is very stiff for a 9mm QR fork.

You can push a PIKE? I thought push just did Fox stuff?
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

yessir...

they also work on Marzocchi Coil shocks

check it out
    http://www.pushindustries.com/services.php

Bodhisattva
    Push also offers tuning services for Pike, Revelation & Reba

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Pike here too...hold on, I already gave my 2 cents.
    But since it is in the relevant forum, the 20mm axle matches the stiffness of the V frame excellently - you will notice!

Hmmm....GD, Richmond...guessing you frequent Cary St. Cafe?

Used to in my younger days - but in my younger days I would really just go to the shows. Cary Street Cafe is like a bar in a shoe box! That place is tiny!

Going to the new venue - The National - to see Drive By Truckers in a couple of weeks
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Map Maker
    OK now so it seems PIKE is the way to go-
    Soooo coil or air?
    I've run only coil forks except for one Marz MX pro 120mm I had last year
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

Team Chilidog!
    OK now so it seems PIKE is the way to go-
    Soooo coil or air?
    I've run only coil forks except for one Marz MX pro 120mm I had last year
    I like the coil. I have a coil Lyrik, and I had a Pike air. If I ever get another Pike, it will be coil. So go with what you like
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pike vs TALAS 36. each are 4.3lbs

I love my TALAS 32, but woud like a TA. I see a lot of guys like thier Pikes, but what about running a TALAS 36 R on the Ciclon? Obviously Fox is more expensive, but is the TALAS even more stiff than the Pike? With more travel? At no weight penalty? Just curious....
    James

08 CDale Road Tandem 2
    07 Stumpjumper FSR (wife's)
    06 Spec Roubaix
    06 CDale Synapse (wife's)
    04 Spec Enduro

Quote Originally Posted by weaklink
    I love my TALAS 32, but woud like a TA. I see a lot of guys like thier Pikes, but what about running a TALAS 36 R on the Ciclon? Obviously Fox is more expensive, but is the TALAS even more stiff than the Pike? With more travel? At no weight penalty? Just curious....

it's a great option too...though for climbing you will probably be running it at 130mm (same height as the Pike at 140mm).... I have one on my terremoto and works great, I have a Pike on the Salty and love it too

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Used to in my younger days - but in my younger days I would really just go to the shows. Cary Street Cafe is like a bar in a shoe box! That place is tiny!

Going to the new venue - The National - to see Drive By Truckers in a couple of weeks
    Right on man. I have a buddy who used to play there a bunch, I went to school up that way (UR).
    He has spoken of the national too - he is still up in Richmond over on Grace.

On the air/coil front though, I ran a dual-air (and I am 220). Loved it - running a coil lyrik and I think the pike was every bit as plush.

Map Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Right on man. I have a buddy who used to play there a bunch, I went to school up that way (UR).
    He has spoken of the national too - he is still up in Richmond over on Grace.

On the air/coil front though, I ran a dual-air (and I am 220). Loved it - running a coil lyrik and I think the pike was every bit as plush.

I went to U of R too - but probably about 10 years before you - from 86 - '90.

I used to pick my classes by their attendance policy - that way I could take a week or three off in the middle of the semester and go on tour with the Dead. Ahhh the good old days.

Were you in a fraternity? I was a KA for two years till they kicked about 20 of us out. We "partied" too much for them. Now you know that you must be doing something right if a Frat kicks you out for partying to hard.

I lived in the fan for my last two years. Ever been to Buddy's? (ha ha inside joke)
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I went to U of R too - but probably about 10 years before you - from 86 - '90.

I used to pick my classes by their attendance policy - that way I could take a week or three off in the middle of the semester and go on tour with the Dead. Ahhh the good old days.

Were you in a fraternity? I was a KA for two years till they kicked about 20 of us out. We "partied" too much for them. Now you know that you must be doing something right if a Frat kicks you out for partying to hard.

I lived in the fan for my last two years. Ever been to Buddy's? (ha ha inside joke)
    Very interesting...I was in the same....you got kicked out of KA? Apparently you were just before your time, it was our group that finally did KA completely in - I think we are off for good there.
    edit: I just checked, apparently they are back on. Not for a lack of our efforts!

And that is great about the old dead tours, I was very happy that hampton was amongst phish's favorite venues - I love that mothership.

Buddy's? Hmm.....nope!