mtbr member
    May 2005

New 650B Ventana and 650B Fox fork

So I'd been pestering Ventana about making the new Ciclon 650B compatable with the demise of the El Bastardo (or lack of any updating which is why I don't want the available leftover frames) and this is the email I received back yesterday. If you're a 650B believer like me this is VERY exciting news. The fact that Fox is gonna build a true 650B fork is huge and if you want to believe Dave Turner the mtn. bike world is about to be rocked by the 650 wheel size. 650B 5 Spot in the works.

Anyway, thought I'd pass the news along for those interested.

Although we are discontinuing El Bastardo frame and we had originally said we were not going to offer a 650b model (due to the lack of components), we have decided to introduce a new 650b full suspension frame now that Fox will be offering a 650b specific fork for 2013. Sherwood is working on the new design for it and hopefully it will be available this Spring. Right now we don’t have any geometry available but check with us sometime in March.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Teresa Franco

Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

916-631-0544, ext. 203
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Team Chilidog!
    That's awesome news. There seems to be a good demand for the 650B. I would be more comfortable with the 650B than the 29er.

Can't say I'm surprised though. Sherwood brought back the X-5 after discontinuing it at one point because there was customer demand. Ventana does listen to their customers.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah that is great news. I bought a new El Padrino this spring without riding one and really enjoy it. I do have to say though that when I am in technical downhill sections I am nowhere near as comfortable as I would be on a 26" bike. I am only 5' 6' and I love the El Padrino in the straight away's and it climbs like a mule. I also love how it just glides over rocks and stumps but in technical downhill stuff I feel I am too high off the ground and can't get the handling I like. I live in Michigan and most of the riding is rolling but some of the rides I go on there are some real technical downhill stuff.

I don't own a FS bike but was thinking of getting one. My thought is to get a 650b because I think I would get the added benefits of the 29 but with the handling of a 26. Am I on the right track or if I get a FS should I stick with an EL Salt?

Thanks,

Chuck

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Yeah that is great news. I bought a new El Padrino this spring without riding one and really enjoy it. I do have to say though that when I am in technical downhill sections I am nowhere near as comfortable as I would be on a 26" bike. I am only 5' 6' and I love the El Padrino in the straight away's and it climbs like a mule. I also love how it just glides over rocks and stumps but in technical downhill stuff I feel I am too high off the ground and can't get the handling I like. I live in Michigan and most of the riding is rolling but some of the rides I go on there are some real technical downhill stuff.

I don't own a FS bike but was thinking of getting one. My thought is to get a 650b because I think I would get the added benefits of the 29 but with the handling of a 26. Am I on the right track or if I get a FS should I stick with an EL Salt?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Chuck - The 650B format rocks. In 2010 I had Sherwood make me a semi-custom 650B HT set up for a 120mm Fork......pure bliss. I've been riding it exlusively for the past 18 months. I will put $$$$$$ down on a 650B FS bike any day of the week.....especially since it's a Ventana. Heck, I may even paint it BLUE not really, probably Battleship Gray like my HT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Chuck - The 650B format rocks. In 2010 I had Sherwood make me a semi-custom 650B HT set up for a 120mm Fork......pure bliss. I've been riding it exlusively for the past 18 months. I will put $$$$$$ down on a 650B FS bike any day of the week.....especially since it's a Ventana. Heck, I may even paint it BLUE not really, probably Battleship Gray like my HT.

Yeah I am thinking that the 650B will be a perfect fit for my shorter height. I would have went that way with my HT but at the time I wanted a Ventana and didn't want to wait on a custom order. I got a killer deal on my El Padrino frame to boot. It was a new 2010 frame that I bought in April of 2011. Chad at Red Barn sold it to me for $500 so I couldn't pass up the price. I didn't get out as much this summer as I thought I would and only did 5 rides on it so I think the more I ride it the more comfortable I'll get on it. I had taken a 15 year layoff from riding and just got back into this summer. I am 43 and am just not as big a risk taker as I was in my mid 20's so that might also have something to do with my apprehensions on downhills more than the 29er format.

The one thing I can say about the El Padrino is I have never had a more comfortable ride and it is way faster than the bike I did all my riding on in the '90's which is a Klein Pinnacle. I still own the Klein so if I do pick up a 650B FS frame from Ventana and have a bike built I'd have all the wheel size's covered. Though my Klein has been given to my 13 year old son because I just don't see myself ever riding it again after getting the El Padrino except for maybe a nostalgia ride now and then. But as little as I get a chance to ride seems like taking the Klein would be a waste. Though I ride with a guy who still rides a Klein from the mid '90's and he has a blast. I have found in my older years it isn't the machine it is the enjoyment of riding. Here's a picture of my El Padrino and Klein in all their glory. The brakes have been changed to Avid Elixir CR's. When Chad built it there was a mix up and he was awesome to deal with. Even sent me the new brakes and paid for my LBS to install them. Can't say enough great things about Chad and Red Barn.

Chuck

Proud lame eBiker
    Marz. XC700 forks.....how that company ever survived that disaster is beyond me.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Marz. XC700 forks.....how that company ever survived that disaster is beyond me.

I don't know what u mean? My XC400 served me extremely well for 4 hard years of riding in Aspen with plenty of trips to Moab. At least 400 days and thousands of miles of riding without a hitch.
    Last edited by procos; 01-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I don't know what u mean? My XC400 served me extremely well for 4 hard years of riding in Aspen with plenty of trips to Moab. At least 400 days and thousands of miles of riding without a hitch.
    I remember that thing being a dog back in the day. Hardly moved when compared to the RS and Manitou's at that time. And I remember many gibbering seals.

Sounds like you're memories are better ones though. You must have gotten a golden egg.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    I remember that thing being a dog back in the day. Hardly moved when compared to the RS and Manitou's at that time. And I remember many gibbering seals.

Sounds like you're memories are better ones though. You must have gotten a golden egg.
    Yeah I guess I got lucky. I remember the day I bought that shock back in the spring of '93. I was in heaven. The LBS I bought it from was called Aspen Velo and my buddy Rick worked there and steered me toward the Zooch. Everybody back then was riding Rock Shox and Manitou. The Zooch was lighter and was an oil/air shock. I took the plunge and to be honest back then all my riding buddies where jealous of my Zooch. I was the only guy I ever saw riding that shock(maybe that should have been a hint that the shock sucked, lol). However it never let me down. And even though I don't ride my Klein anymore my son still rides it around the neighborhood. I pump up the air side and it is more than stiff enough for him and he weighs 140 lbs. It holds the stiffness for about a month and then I need to re-pump up the shock. Not bad for a 20 year old shock. Not sure if I found the golden goose but I have great memories on that Klein and most of them include riding it with the Zooch.

Chuck

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Specs on the new 650B forks are available to bike manufacturers now. Pre-production models around May and production versions available this fall.

Gonna be real interesting to see who jumps on board with this besides Ventana, Jamis and KHS who already have 650B bikes. Turner we know and rumor has it Scott has placed an order.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I think this is awesome news. Really, they should make this anyway. XFusion and White Brothers both make "official" 650b forks already which perform outstanding. Not to mention the Fox forks and others that can be used. It would be a shame for Ventana, which made one of the first FS 650b bikes to miss out on 650b when it finally becomes popular!
    Because WB and XFusion their A2C Height is not optimized. They are too tall.....might as well run a 29er fork from RS or Fox which has better performance.

Edit: XFusion Velvet RL, example 120mm travel yields a 520mm A2C. Optimized, NO

Just to give you a data point the RS Reba 29er fork at 100mm travel is 505mm A2C.

My 650B HT was designed to take a 495mm A2C. I wonder how much taller the new Fox 650B specific forks are then the 26er counterparts. I currently run a 2008 Float 120.

Last edited by mtnbiker4life; 01-13-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Because WB and XFusion their A2C Height is not optimized. They are too tall.....might as well run a 29er fork from RS or Fox which has better performance.

Vince, dude we're cool, but really? This reeks of A) Fox Fanboism. B) Somebody who has not spend any time on an said product.

My X-Fusion Velvet, works very well. It is stiffer lateraly than the F32's I've tested, has a more progressive air spring that still gets full travel and it's factory damping is very good for being factory set. Every time I ride my Chiquo (650B Hardtail) I don't think about the fork, I just enjoy the ride. I can't say the same for most of my experiences on Fox's. (Especially any of the Talas products).

As to your A to C arguement...mute point, when the frame is built custom anyway....

EDIT: Vince is no Fox fanboi, in fact he runs RS. so he's an RS Fanboi! kidding Vince, just kidding.
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 01-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Vince, dude we're cool, but really? This reeks of A) Fox Fanboism. B) Somebody who has not spend any time on an said product.

My X-Fusion Velvet, works very well. It is stiffer lateraly than the F32's I've tested, has a more progressive air spring that still gets full travel and it's factory damping is very good for being factory set. Every time I ride my Chiquo (650B Hardtail) I don't think about the fork, I just enjoy the ride. I can't say the same for most of my experiences on Fox's. (Especially any of the Talas products).

As to your A to C arguement...mute point, when the frame is built custom anyway....
    That's good to hear about the Velvet. Heard other people say how much they like them. Russ is getting one for his new Ciclón.

I would have picked up a Vengeance but it's AtoC is 565mm, which is high for my already semi-custom frame (can handle a 545mm fork just fine.. another 20mm would chopper it out more than I'd like).

For Fox forks, I love their coils. I'm really happy with my Van 36 RC2. Part of the problem with the Fox air forks is the RLC damper. That thing is horrible.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women