Thread: My Zeus

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

My Zeus

Just changed from an El Ciclon, swopped everything over from my other frame. The wheels are not the final item, I am waiting on rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Zeus-dsc_1615.jpg  

AJR

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by fai View Post
    Just changed from an El Ciclon,
    I thought I was having deja vu and then re-read what you wrote. Now it makes sense! Nice!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Ride On
    Nice! Do you find the wheelbase on these a little long? The Zeus is in my top ten but has the second longest wheelbase next to the Kona Process 153 at 1161 the next lowest is the Range at 1149 and so forth. I am amazed at how bike designers are able to achieve such different wheelbase lengths given similar parameters. Like the Lenz Lunchbox; same travel, chainstay, HT angle, yet a longer ETT (by 5mm) and a much shorter wheelbase of 1140... What magic is this?
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The 74 seat tube angle is at least partly responsible for the longer wheelbase. As the seat tube "pivots" forward from the bb, it pushes the head tube further away from the bb, lengthening reach and wheelbase (unless, of course, the top tube is shortened). This is why bikes with steep seat tube angles tend to fit bigger than they'd otherwise seem, and why "reach" is a better parameter than top tube length for determining fit.

(Cervelo points out this phenomenon in part of a fitting article ("Why most small frames don't fit"), describing how many framebuilders simultaneously steepen the seat tube angle and shorten the top tube on small frames, but these changes cancel each other out, leaving reach and wheelbase just as long as on bigger frames. Lots of XS road frames with 75 seat tube angles have a longer reach than the same frame in a larger size!)
    Last edited by albeant; 10-14-2013 at 07:14 AM.

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I do not feel the wheelbase is of any concern to me. It took a few miles to adjust to it but now I can manual it just as easy as the El Ciclon. It is so stable but I have not noticed any loss in agility on the tight singletrack I ride. I have now used it on a downhill course, a ride with over 3000ft of climbing and a man made trail centre. I am a very happy rider.
    AJR

mtbr member
    May 2005
    fai are you running a 142 thru axle or 135 qr?

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    142x12
    AJR