Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Zeus

Auburn Bike Works

My Zeus

Thought I'd throw my Zues up just finished building it! 29.8 lbs. Semi Custom geometry 13" bb height, 67 degree head angle 21.8 top tube super short seatube about 14.5". All measurements in 140mm rear travel setting. Big thanks to Sherwood taking her out for the shop ride tonight!!!My Zeus-ventana.jpg
    Frame Ventana Zues
    Fork Fox 34 150 ctd
    Rear shock Fox float CTD
    Wheels White Industries hubs 12x14 rear 15mm front. Sapim butted spokes and Velocitiy P35 rims.
    Cranks Xo carbon DH's 38th ring
    Rear derailleur XO 10spd short cage
    shifter X9
    Cassette XT 11x36
    Brakes Elixer cr carbon 185 front 160 rear
    Gravity dropper classic 2' 4' drop
    king headset
    Stem Thomson 70mm
    Bars Chromag 730mm flat
    Tires Maxxis Ardent 27.5x 2.25 exo set up tubeless
    Saddle WTB Volt ti rails
    Grips Lizard skin 894's

Lightly salted
    Nice Bike!

Auburn Bike Works
    Thanks it is sweet totally addressed what I wanted it to compared to 26!

mtbr member
    pics? WHat is the standover halfway between the head tube and seat tubs?

Auburn Bike Works
    The stand over is 32" in the middle of the top tube. Sherwood does have another top tube option that will provide more clearance but I haven't hit my nuts in 20 years so I wasn't worried about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Zeus

Nice build! By the way, it's a Zeus, not a Zues. Funny how many (you are not alone) are dyslexic about this name.....

Auburn Bike Works

Review and pics!!!

My Zeus-ventana.jpgMy Zeus-ven2.jpgMy Zeus-ven1.jpgMy Zeus-ven6.jpgMy Zeus-ven4.jpgMy Zeus-ven3.jpgMy Zeus-ven7.jpgMy Zeus-ven5.jpgI got to get out on the bike a lot this weekend and I have to say I am fully stoked on it! It does everything better than my Yeti 575 and I really liked how that bike cornered, climbed and jumped. The key areas that I wanted improvements in were; first how the wheels rolled over bumps: second was maintaining wheel speed and momentum; third I wanted wider rims and stiffer wheels (which has nothing to do with the bike other than it was a major point in my choice of wheel components ). I put the bike through every scenario I could, climbing is A++ the wheels roll over bumps better helping me stay on top of my gears no matter how steep and technical. The traction improvement is unreal compared to the same rear tire in a 26" cornering and climbing. The most marked improvement is just shear speed, it is still snappy but maintains momentum so much better than a 26' wheel. I consistently find myself carrying more speed into jumps and through rocky sections and doing so with more stability and confidence even making me try new bigger jump lines and rockier sections.
    I have never been a suspension snob, I don't believe that one design is really better than the other and all my favorite bikes have been single pivots and modified single pivots. I have never had issues with bob or brake jack or maybe I just don't notice. That being said I have not used the CTD in any other setting than descend and highly doubt I will very often, and that is climbing stage coach multiple times, out of mammoth and mossy rock.
    Making runs on culvert I found myself settling into the berms better and and better, I even got in a run with the rear tire skimming the top of 2 berms just as broke out of the apex. If there is one quality I need from my bikes it is the ability to turn and this bike does that beyond expectation.
    I think the most inspiring quality of the bike is the stiffness, whether it be pedaling cornering or hitting a drop it has absolutely no flex wiggle or twang and I manage to hit hard enough to dent the front and rear rims bottom the suspension and not miss a beat through any episode ( on a side not e I destroy rims and forks I average 2-3 rims a year and warranty my forks every 12 to 14 rides as the stanchions come loose from the crowns). I love fox forks and will not run anything else, I really considered trying a White Brothers or rock shoxs but couldn't bring myself to.
    Like I said earlier I am running the drive train, brakes, seat post and bars and stem from my 575 and the fit from the Yeti to the Zeus is dead on if not better, I did change grips to something thinner than previous. So that leaves the wheels and tires which I couldn't be happier with. I choose White Industries MI6 hubs, Sapim spokes and Velocity P35 rims and I am loving the combo. I always build my own wheels and have for a decade now and as a wrench I feel like it's my duty, plus there are so many cool parts to put together and when you figure it out like I did you just feel it come together and I know I'm doing what I love. I really like building wheels and this set has been one of my favorite builds so far, all the pieces came together smoothly tensioned well and are stiff as hell. The Velocity P35's are sweet, the tire profile and stability of the Ardent's are beyond what I was hoping for and the tires seated tubeless great only loosing a few psi the first night.
    So over all I love the bike it is stiffer, climbs better, corners better, charges rock gardens better and looks badass and only weighs 3 tenths of a lb heavier. I can say Sherwood has got it going on with this bike, working with him and Teressa was awesome and the ride quality, attention to detail and performance is apparent with every pedal stroke.
    Oh side note! I forgot about the internal cable routing. Generally that is like are you shitting me how stupid is this going to be! Not the case Sherwood has figured out the raddest internal routing ever I love it designed for full length front and rear cable housing and brake, easy to feed through set up and comes with all the sweet bits to make it possible!

mtbr member

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by mike thompson View Post
    The stand over is 32" in the middle of the top tube. Sherwood does have another top tube option that will provide more clearance but I haven't hit my nuts in 20 years so I wasn't worried about it.
    Just out od curiosity what is your inseam? I have fairly short legs and would likely require the lower top tube option.

Auburn Bike Works
    My inseam is 27", I have never owned a bike I could stand over nor does it bother me. Ventana does have a new top tube that will provide better clearance, Sherwood showed me but I liked the stock one so stuck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Just out od curiosity what is your inseam? I have fairly short legs and would likely require the lower top tube option.

mtbr member
    Thanks, same inseam as mine but I prefer as much standover as I can buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike thompson View Post
    My inseam is 27", I have never owned a bike I could stand over nor does it bother me. Ventana does have a new top tube that will provide better clearance, Sherwood showed me but I liked the stock one so stuck with that.

NedwannaB
    Nice setup. I was wondering about the GD seat post. Is that a 27.2? Looks similar to my Bastardo seat tube. Is that a new model or carry over from another bike? Narrowed my choice down to this brand.

Thanks in advance
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Auburn Bike Works
    The Gravity dropper is a 27.2 with a 4" drop, I'm getting a 30.9 5" drop in a couple months. Yeah the post is 6 years old it has out lasted 3 bike frames! I like their simplicity, ease of service and most importantly made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Nice setup. I was wondering about the GD seat post. Is that a 27.2? Looks similar to my Bastardo seat tube. Is that a new model or carry over from another bike? Narrowed my choice down to this brand.

Thanks in advance

NedwannaB
    Cool. So I've heard. A buddy who's had one for years recently got a Reverb but rec'd the GD as well. Also to use a noodle with a barrel adjuster to transition cabling off post to top tube. Thnx.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mike, curious how tall are you?

Auburn Bike Works
    Oh yeah a noodle realy helps on the GD turbo because the cable comes out at a 90 degree angle from the post the classic cable routing is parallel. Though GD did switch to a much more flexible and smooth housing.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Cool. So I've heard. A buddy who's had one for years recently got a Reverb but rec'd the GD as well. Also to use a noodle with a barrel adjuster to transition cabling off post to top tube. Thnx.

Auburn Bike Works
    I'm 5'2". Call me anything but big guy!

Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Mike, curious how tall are you?

Auburn Bike Works

Cool-blue Rhythm Video Rallyin the Zeus

The Camera is on my bike, high lighting the Culvert work we did this weekend!

Lightly salted
    The new work on Culvert is excellent. I rode it on tuesday, cant wait to hit it again soon!

Auburn Bike Works
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    The new work on Culvert is excellent. I rode it on tuesday, cant wait to hit it again soon!
    Thanks!!

Auburn Bike Works
    Made some changes! Went to Schwalbe Hans Dampfs, I was tearing the Ardents almost every ride. Liked the Ardents probably my favorite tire ever, but I needed more durability. Lovin the Dampfs though, getting lower tire pressure, better durability and very impressed with all aspects corning, climbing and braking. Also got a new Gravity Dropper turbo LP with a 5" drop. Bike gained a little weight up to 31.5 lbs and on Friday I'll be throwing on a set of XO trail brakes. Loving the bike I cannot believe how well it performs.

Lightly salted
    Mike,
    Great customer service at your store today! I was riding Auburn and knocked my rear wheel out of true enough that it was rubbing the chain stays. I though I was going to have to end my day short. I came into your shop and they had me fixed and back on the rode quick! I was able to get back to the trail and hit another lap down culvert!
    Just wanted to say thanks!

Auburn Bike Works
    Thanks! I'm stoked we could get you back on the trail!! I must say I am really stoked on the crew they love to ride and to get others riding as well!

Auburn Bike Works
    Long needed update. Hammered the hell out of the Zeus this summer, everything held up great but made some changes. Switched to a Rock Shox Pike ( best 6" fork I've ever ridden) and Monarch rear shock. Gave up on type II derailleurs because they where eating pulleys and enflamed an old thumb injury due to a stiffer lever caused by the clutch, plus I run a guide anyways.

The four changes I've made that saved a ton of weight where suspension, pedals, cassette and grips. Bike has gone from 31.5 to 29.4 and what a difference. Later today I'll be rebuilding my wheels as my rear is beat. While still round ish it has suffered 20 major dents from a 1/4" to 3/8", in an effort to save some more weight and hit 28.5 lbs weight goal I'm rebuilding my wheel set from White industries, Sapim, Velocity blunt 35 to White Industry, Wheelsmith, Wtb KOM rims. I'm hoping for a 400 gram weight savings from 2200 grams to 1630. Major props to the wtb vigilante team issue tires not a single failure no matter how stupid low the pressure or how sharp and rocky a trail I could throw at them, very consistent traction climbing cornering and descending and very reasonable life span easily tripling the life of a Hans Dampf.

I gotta say that this bike has been the most inspiring bike I've ever had, I always feel like it can do more and it gets faster and more reliable with every change I make to it. Since I went with custom geometry the only change I would make is that I would have gone another 1/2 degree slacker and 1/4 inch lower. That being said best bike I've ever had looking forward to getting another after another season or two.

Auburn Bike Works
    I haven't found the tire rub on the seat tube to be an issue personally and I'm running monster tires that hit countless times per ride. Lizard skin DSP grips, HT pedals, 1080 cassette, RS Monarch rt3 to go from 31.5 to 29.4 lbs.

My Zeus-image.jpgMy Zeus-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good Mike. Looking forward to getting back to NorCal this Summer. You and your your bike actually inspired me to pull the trigger on a Ventana (although I went with the El Ciclon) and I couldnt be happier with the bike. See you in a few months. You hitting any Enduros this year?

Aloha!
    Rob M.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast