Thread: My Ventana wish

orthonormal

My Ventana wish

A 29er HT designed for more aggressive descent-oriented riding. SS or geared capable with swinger drops. Somewhere around 73 STA/68.5 HTA with a 120mm fork, capable of handling 100-140mm. Keep the BB reasonably low, even with 140mm up front. Chainstays in the 16.75-17.25" range with room for an Ardent 2.4. If that requires a curved or offset seat tube and/or sacrificing front derailleur compatibility, so be it.

Anyone else interested in something like this? I know brands like Banshee, Canfield, Transition, and Kona make bikes like this but there's just something special to me about a Ventana.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    A 29er HT designed for more aggressive descent-oriented riding. SS or geared capable with swinger drops. Somewhere around 73 STA/68.5 HTA with a 120mm fork, capable of handling 100-140mm. Keep the BB reasonably low, even with 140mm up front. Chainstays in the 16.75-17.25" range with room for an Ardent 2.4. If that requires a curved or offset seat tube and/or sacrificing front derailleur compatibility, so be it.

Anyone else interested in something like this? I know brands like Banshee, Canfield, Transition, and Kona make bikes like this but there's just something special to me about a Ventana.
    Order one custom.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Team Chilidog!
    I thought Transition was only doing the TransAM for their long travel HT.

Call Sherwood. I'm sure it's within his realm to do this project. He does a lot of custom and semi-custom work

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Order one custom.
    I might end up doing that. I have to close on the refi of my mom's house first.

Ultra Ventanaphile

A bit too much of an outlier as far as a production model, but considering that my custom 650B Chiquillo covers that except for the 68.5 HA, (That was my choice to go with 70), it's all very doable. I'd caution you on the "reasonable" low BB at 140mm, you end up with way to low at 100mm etc. I'd suggest, setting the ideal BB height at where you will run the fork at the most and then live with the "slightly" too high BB at max travel etc.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    I would love to see something like this. Before picking up both of the Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy and the Nimble9 I contacted Ventana about building something like this. They told me they'd build pretty much anything I wanted, but unfortunately it was a little more than I wanted to spend. Now if it were a stock item and priced similar to the El Padrino (which I own) and the El Comondante, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    A bit too much of an outlier as far as a production model, but considering that my custom 650B Chiquillo covers that except for the 68.5 HA, (That was my choice to go with 70), it's all very doable. I'd caution you on the "reasonable" low BB at 140mm, you end up with way to low at 100mm etc. I'd suggest, setting the ideal BB height at where you will run the fork at the most and then live with the "slightly" too high BB at max travel etc.
    650B sounds interesting except I really just want to swap all of my parts except the fork over from my current 2005 El C. I'm hoping that my older model Hadley front hub is convertible to 15 or 20mm thru-axle.

I'm somewhat flexible on the exact numbers and would go with Sherwood's judgement if I asked for something he thought was a bad idea. At this point, it's still just an idea I'm batting around. Like I said to IHB, I have more pressing financial matters to deal with first.

Crazed Country Rebel

sounds like black cat geometry.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    sounds like black cat geometry.
    Yes, it does. I'm hoping the price will be quite a bit less, though.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    650B sounds interesting except I really just want to swap all of my parts except the fork over from my current 2005 El C. I'm hoping that my older model Hadley front hub is convertible to 15 or 20mm thru-axle.
    Sorry, didn't mean to suggest 650B, but what I meant, was V has built similar rigs before,so yeah a AM 29'er HT should be doable.

However, if you want to take my Chiquo out for a spin, I can bring it down to SO next month.
    Will be there Thusday-Sat.

-A
    -Aaron G.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to suggest 650B, but what I meant, was V has built similar rigs before,so yeah a AM 29'er HT should be doable.

However, if you want to take my Chiquo out for a spin, I can bring it down to SO next month.
    Will be there Thusday-Sat.

-A
    I knew that's not what you meant but 650B does sound interesting. I will probably ride up to the racetrack from my office Thurs and/or Fri during SO. Your bike will probably be a bit large for me. I'll PM with my cell number, though. Maybe I can show you some of the more interesting trails they don't use for the race.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I knew that's not what you meant but 650B does sound interesting. I will probably ride up to the racetrack from my office Thurs and/or Fri during SO. Your bike will probably be a bit large for me. I'll PM with my cell number, though. Maybe I can show you some of the more interesting trails they don't use for the race.
    I await your PM sir, I will bring gears to try to survive!
    -Aaron G.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I really hope your Ventana wish comes true because I would be very interested in seeing the end product and hearing how it performs in the real world ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Two years ago I had Sherwood build me a 650B AM-Lite HT. It's built around a 120mm fork with a massive 2 in DT, 72.5 STA/69.5 HA, & 12.5 in BB HT. It's a fun bike

The only complaint is a 2.35 Neo rubs chain stay when I really mash down in the pedals......other than that I would say call Sherwood can hardly wait till the short travel 650B FS frame is complete.

mtbr member
    Minus the short stays, that's exactly how my El Commandante is set up.

120mm fork, 11.8" BB. The stays are at the long end of your desired range when the dropout are at the short end of their range, and a 2.35" tire rubs on hard out of saddle efforts with the pivot dropouts that far forward. I just run a 2.1 out back and call it good.

I think you're looking at level 3 customization since everything would have to be different than stock. There's no way to eek out more clearance without redesigning/eliminating the machined chainstay yoke and the way the stays make a loop to connect to that yoke.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.