Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: My new Zeus!

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    40

    My new Zeus!

    This is my new weapon of choice - a brand new Zeus with some slight changes...
    - straight tob tube
    - Alpino style cable routing
    - classic gusset
    - color shark blue front and rear

    As always Sherwood and Teresa did a very good job and this Zeus rides beyond comparison:-)

    Components:
    XT gruppo with e13 TRS crankset and BB
    Rock Shox Pike
    Hope headset
    White Industry hubs laced to e13 TRS rims
    Hope Tech E4 Brakes
    Hope pedals
    Easton Havoc carbon riser bar
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires
    Thomson stem
    My new Zeus!-2013-12-10-13.33.39.jpg

  2. #2
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,553
    Nice new whip! I love the color too.

    Now....ride report?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  3. #3
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Interesting mix of old school/new school. Awesome color!
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtnbkr4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    187
    Nice. Didnt know he would do a straight top tube....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    386
    Brilliant custom options and color! Looks like you're going to have fun putting the beat-down on it!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,691
    Classic, what size is that frame and what did the stand over measurement end up being?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Classic, what size is that frame and what did the stand over measurement end up being?
    It's a 17" frame - regarding the stand over height: i will have to measure and let you know!

  8. #8
    650b me
    Reputation: golden boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,082
    Congrats on the new build, stealthcorp. Looks nice! I would love to see more close-up photos.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    40

    Some more pics...

    those are poor quality - i will add some in better quality soon.
    About the ride: I feel a big difference compared to my old Ventana, which meens that this the perfect bike to switch to 27,5"
    I had the Terremoto before and it was nice, stable and well bulit, but the Zeus is the epitome of a balanced ride: Cornering, air time, pedaling out of the saddle - the Zeus does it with ease.
    I also have Intense Tracer 275 and it feels old school in direct comparison.
    Sherwood perfected his suspension design - it simply works, even with the Fox shock(not a big fan of Fox, though).
    I f you are looking for a great performer in the 160mm/27,5" range - the ZEUS is right there loving the job.
    Just a hint: I tried to reduce weight on the rims and it pays well with the e13 TRS wheels.My new Zeus!-2013-12-10-13.34.55.jpgMy new Zeus!-2013-12-10-13.34.58.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,691
    Thanks, I'm interested in the bike but the dog dumping top tube dosn't work well with short legs and the lower but still curvy top tube dosn't do much for my eyes>

  11. #11
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Contact Ventana, they have them.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    428
    Beautiful bike! Love the old school look with the straight tubes...your analysis of this bike is spot on with what I'm getting from my Zeus/el cap hybrid frame...feels light but stable and very fun in the air! Congrats!

    I wish more people knew about how phenomenal Ventana bikes are...an extremely good value as well!

  13. #13
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Thanks, I'm interested in the bike but the dog dumping top tube dosn't work well with short legs and the lower but still curvy top tube dosn't do much for my eyes>
    Then spend a few more bucks and get a straight top tube in it instead.

    Call Santa Cruz and see if they'll do that for you....not!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  14. #14
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Then spend a few more bucks and get a straight top tube in it instead.

    Call Santa Cruz and see if they'll do that for you....not!
    Shouldn't it be a few bucks less since the costly formed top tube is not used?

    I agree Ventana is one of a handful of frame builders that will do customs.......

  15. #15
    11 is one louder than 10
    Reputation: Green Giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,362
    Wish that straight top tubes and full external cable routing were stock. I have a ton of respect for Ventana and Sherwood. I just wish it wouldn't cost extra to go "backwards" from a technology perspective.

    I'm not a big fan of internal cable routing, especially for rear disc brakes. I liked the old top tube much better.

    I could fairly easily be talked back into a El Rey...

    But, my issue is I want full external cable routing, a threaded BB, and a straight top tube with the old gusset.

    If I could get that front end (maybe in a double butted tube set)... with the new rear end a 142 x 12 rear and a tapered head tube.. that would be pretty fun.

    An old/new mix if you will.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Wish that straight top tubes and full external cable routing were stock. I have a ton of respect for Ventana and Sherwood. I just wish it wouldn't cost extra to go "backwards" from a technology perspective.

    I'm not a big fan of internal cable routing, especially for rear disc brakes. I liked the old top tube much better.

    I could fairly easily be talked back into a El Rey...

    But, my issue is I want full external cable routing, a threaded BB, and a straight top tube with the old gusset.

    If I could get that front end (maybe in a double butted tube set)... with the new rear end a 142 x 12 rear and a tapered head tube.. that would be pretty fun.

    An old/new mix if you will.
    I bet you could get everything you're asking for in a level 2 custom frame. When I've bugged Ventana in the past about custom frames the additional cost wasn't to bad considering the investment of the stock frame. I believe they categorize various custom options in levels, so they don't nickel and dime you for every change.

    Oh, and the Zeus looks good.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  17. #17
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148

    My new Zeus!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Shouldn't it be a few bucks less since the costly formed top tube is not used?

    I agree Ventana is one of a handful of frame builders that will do customs.......
    Just for the boards FYI - No, because the production mitering, and then production jig can't be used. The frame essentially becomes a custom. With a lot of hands on man hours required to produce.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Similar Threads

  1. My Zeus
    By mike thompson in forum Ventana
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-17-2014, 08:59 PM
  2. My Zeus
    By fai in forum Ventana
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 03:02 AM
  3. Captain Zeus
    By sirsam84 in forum Ventana
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 05:52 PM
  4. A New Zeus to the mix
    By Internal14 in forum Ventana
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 11:40 AM
  5. Zeus?
    By nhodge in forum Ventana
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •