Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neg reppers r my biatches

My First 29er "FS"

I would much rather be riding...hell, I have not even ridden it on dirt yet! Maybe tomorrow??? doubtful, but hoping. As such, no ride report to speak of yet but few pics.

Anyway, not that I care, but for completeness had it weighed at the shop when I picked up some pedals since I forgot that part and it was under 30 lbs!!! 29.98 to be precise on digital scale.

Thanks to Larry and El Beastro for getting me my first FS 29er!

Specs are as follows if you care:
    • Frame = '07 El Rey, large, cosmic orange, heavy duty rear triangle w/quad bearings
    • Rear shock = Fox Float R Pro Pedal air shock w/ High Volume canister with PUSH factory tuning
    • Fork = '08 Fox F29
    • Brakes = Avid Juicy 7s (185/160)
    • Stem = Thompson X4
    • Seatpost = Moots Ti Setback
    • Saddle = Terry Fly saddle, ti rails
    • Headset = black King
    • Bars = Easton EA50 685mm OS riser bars
    • Grips = ODI lock on grips
    • Cranks = Truvativ Stylos GXP cranks & x-type BB
    • Drivetrain = SRAM X.9 drivetrain w/trigger shifters, SRAM 11-34 PG-990 cassette
    • Wheelset = Industry Nines (half black/silver spokes with silver front, black rear hubs) with 9mm axle on front hub using DT Swiss Ratchet Skewer
    • Tires = Panaracer Rampages
    Rear Wheel

Rear Shock

Front Wheel w/ Ratchet Skewer

Few complete bike pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I would much rather be riding...hell, I have not even ridden it on dirt yet! Maybe tomorrow??? doubtful, but hoping. As such, no ride report to speak of yet but few pics.
    Looks great! Nice spec. I have to see those wheels in person, can't get the full effect in the pictures.

You gotta get out tomorrow! Nice and crisp these days - I went out this morning, low 40s when I started but it warmed up nicely and nice sunshine and clear blue sky after the rain.

No, that's not phonetic
    I can't see anything.

Oh yeah.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Just a thought!
    Less time on MTBR = more time riding.....

I'm just saying.

TG

Captain Underpants
    About time . . .
    Very nice, I see the shock has been pushed. And I dig that color--That and the Army green are my two favorite Ventana colors. And that seatpost, man, I am having a hard time resisting the urge to run out and buy one. Most excellent build, including the tires

Now maybe you can update your picture on the Ventana owner's page

mtbr member
    Like everything but the cranks.

Turned out great...

mtbr member

Moots post??

Why the ti post?? great for a hardtail, i think it would look nicer with a nice black thomson post, moots has the bling factor for sure but you are not getting the advantage of a ti post on a fs...otherwise great build!! loved mine for the short time i had it, but i live in hardtail country!!!!

bog

Bodhisattva
    Beautiful bike !

Although it looked nicer when it belong to Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    Why the ti post?? great for a hardtail, i think it would look nicer with a nice black thomson post, moots has the bling factor for sure but you are not getting the advantage of a ti post on a fs...otherwise great build!! loved mine for the short time i had it, but i live in hardtail country!!!!

bog
    has nothing do to with wanting ti or bling for seatpost or any supposed compliance advantage. i asked beast how much more for thomson setback (origanally offered with straight thomson) and he said he had used moots setbackk and it was cheap and i didnt care which post so went with what he offered is all. if i had setback thomson on comandante would switch in a secon but i dont

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Just a thought!
    Less time on MTBR = more time riding.....

I'm just saying.

TG
    i am glad u know me so well and can offer such sound advice i never thought of

"Its All Good"
    Fo looks very cool, great colour. enjoy that beasty......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Captain Underpants
    has nothing do to with wanting ti or bling for seatpost or any supposed compliance advantage. i asked beast how much more for thomson setback (origanally offered with straight thomson) and he said he had used moots setbackk and it was cheap and i didnt care which post so went with what he offered is all. if i had setback thomson on comandante would switch in a secon but i dont

cheers
    If that was a straight moots I'd trade you in a second . . . . I'd even throw in some Knolly stickers or something . . .

Weird, those grips look like oury's . .

mtbr member
    Nice work Fo! The new ride is looking mighty fine. The seatpost is a nice touch. I hope your other bikes are ready to start collecting dust.

One thing I need to point out though, the El Ghey isn't and El Ghey without the 20t granny ring.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Looks awesome, Fo!

Finally!!!!

You better go get it dirty ASAP!

Team Fearless Descender
    Fo, dats da Shizzle fo sure.

Sorry I couldn't make the ride this morning. Would have been great to get some "action" pix, you know, with the tires actually in the dirt, helmet "off the back", extra forehead. All the good stuff!

Let us know how that thing rides once you get back.

Enjoy! Canít wait to see it in person.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Nice looking bike Fo sure

The cosmic orange is a nice colour.....it would be interesting if Sherwood could do that colour in a matte finish Those are pimp wheels and cool colour combination. I'm definitely interested in a ride report.....that front fork is looking nicer every day.....if it wasn't for the ghey white colour I'd buy one for my Padrino. Ditch the seat post Titanium is so ghey

mtbr member

Yo Fo

Love the wheels. You built my bike (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...48#post3847148) added all red Eye Nines since these pics. I went with Middleburg RS 8 crank and a 20-30-40 chainring sequence but otherwise it's nearly identicle. I am 200lbs and struggling a bit with tuning my rear shock. I have 150 lbs of air and I think the thing is bottoming out on the front der cable housing. How does Push modify the rear shock? What improvements do you see? When you get your first rides in keep an eye on that front der cable housing and let us know if you have any damage. See El Ray F-Der Cable Routing for discussion of cable routing/damage issue.
    Last edited by chexem; 12-09-2007 at 01:43 PM.

MTB B'dos
    Looks very nice now sporting the F29, nicer than with the REBA (hope it didn't hit anyone when 'Beast chucked it into the busy intersection ) Agree that I like the Ti post as in general, but the build would look better with the matching Thomson.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    nevermind that
    Last edited by smaxor; 12-20-2007 at 11:13 AM.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Sweet...............I 'm anxious to hear how you like the F29 since I've been thinkin of replacing my Reba 29er with one at some point of time ! Honest the build looks excellent ! TIG.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Looks very nice now sporting the F29, nicer than with the REBA (hope it didn't hit anyone when 'Beast chucked it into the busy intersection ) Agree that I like the Ti post as in general, but the build would look better with the matching Thomson.
    lol...crax me up how people care so much about a seatpost. for the record, I like it and it fits perfect so plz complain about something else

So is your face
    I think the moots post looks dope. I don't know what everyone's problem is with it. But, if you decide to give in to all the e-pressure I can pm you with my address so you can dispose of it discretely.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    I was going to mention something about the color choice of your chainstay protector but it doesn't seem like you want to hear about it.

lol...crax me up how people care so much about a seatpost. for the record, I like it and it fits perfect so plz complain about something else

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Nice bike. Very similar to my El Rey including weight. My Rey is my pimp ride, therefore a mostly summer bike. I think I'm in love with the Manitou 3-way. Just feels so much nicer than my PUSHed RP3 or it may mean that the Fox needs servicing. I'm running Reso on the front and a Nano rear. On my El Cap I was running Ramps front and rear, but I just put a Fire XC on the rear.
    Last edited by DrDon; 12-09-2007 at 07:07 PM.

one word, "what will I ever do with the RFX?" I better grow some huevos for riding more serious chunk or I just don't see ever using the rfx.

had a GREAT shake-down ride. LOTS of climbing, including steep singletrack and fireroad. however, being my third ride in bout 4 months, I overdid it for sure and bonked/cramped at about mile 19 or so leading into a great climb that's pretty tough which bit....had to use granny ring up front. on the bright side, felt great till that point and got a good feel for sure. I will not be surprised if I end up deeming this my best bike ever.

I can honestly say it not only doesn't look like a 29er, but was very "flickable" (hate that word) whick rocked going down. this bike is stiff, in large due to hd rear, wheels, fox fork w/ 9mm ratchet so there was NO flinching at all...flat out rocked on fast singletrack.

it fit like a glove and I literally did not adjust a thing for the duration of the 23 miles or whatever it was. MAYBE will go down 10 psi in rear sock for full travel easier but that is it! the setback post, bar height, saddle angle/position was all spot on.

on one of the long down hill singletracks, the bike flowed like an m-effer. it was friggin fast through mini-techy blazing fast singletrack and did not feel at all I needed to pick lines on all but a few sections. hit a few small drops and it was smooth....very 26er like in terms of managing these sections.

friggin LOVE the fork and can't believe how ghey my 2 29er rebas felt like in comparison. again ratchet 9mm with fox is sick setup and may be ticket, certainly for many of us anyway.

as for rear shock, on many sections where I locked out fork I had no problem upping the gear and standing and climbing with seemingly no bob at all. push definitely nailed this one. I would never own a non pushed fox shock, never. being able to click up a few gears and stand helped me avoid ever using granny, pre-bonk anyway. I also never lost traction either sitting or standing climbing.....rampages are also going on my comandante next.

look forward to next ride for sure!
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 12-09-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    I think the moots post looks dope. I don't know what everyone's problem is with it. But, if you decide to give in to all the e-pressure I can pm you with my address so you can dispose of it discretely.
    lol...never! not only do I really like its funtionality and how it nails my pref geo with setback, but dig its looks. will not apologize for others' lame taste for pedestrian thomson parts....mtbr sheep are pathetic

moe.
    Sep 2005

Nice ride Fo

Your are going to love that fork. ...Better edit I didn't read all the posts before I made mine. I found with my Sultan theat the RFX did not make sense even at slightly over 30 lbs. So it went on e-bay and now I have a Ventana HT. I have already gone with two F29s I think its that good with a stiff wheel. I may have to try Pushing fox.
    "These people take a dump thatís a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    The cosmic orange is a nice colour.....it would be interesting if Sherwood could do that colour in a matte finish Those are pimp wheels and cool colour combination. I'm definitely interested in a ride report.....that front fork is looking nicer every day.....if it wasn't for the ghey white colour I'd buy one for my Padrino. Ditch the seat post Titanium is so ghey
    dude, I have an uber ghey Ti vintage-ish bike so i was already guilty so i figured what the heck

Bodhisattva
    Moots Seatpost

Next best thing to an Eriksen

then again, Moots does have a certain flair.....