Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My El Rey has arrived!

Actuallly I got it Thursday but didn't get a chance to take photos until today. Larry at Mountain High Cyclery did a fantastic job of building it for me and I only had to struggle with the rear derailuer for 30 minutes (because I'm a sucky bike mechanic) before I had the bike ready for it's photo shoot. Soooo lets take a look at what I've ended up with, remember I had worries that my spec list was pretty close to Fo's El Rey which of course is cause for concern but I think in the end my Rey is just different enough not to be classified as a Fo' Rey .

Arrrrgggghhhhh! Larry sent me a Giant, not the Ventana I ordered!!

Whew, just a box to ship it in, not a Giant bike!! First up is a shot of the rear hub. It's a Hadley Hub laced to a Stan's Flow rim. Both front and back rims had the stickers removed.

Front Hub is also a Hadley laced to a Stan's Flow rim.

Let's take a look at the front hub with DTSwiss RWS ratchet skewer and Formula K-24 Brake

Out back we have another DTSwiss skewer and Formula K-24 Brake

Ok Ok I can't hide it any more, time to show the full bike. Is the frame Orange like Fo's? Grinch Green? Superdust? No, No and No it is.....................

White with a gold sparkle clear coat. I couldn't get a good photo of the sparkle coat. It is very subtle but does glimmer in the sunlight.

Great looking paint and I'm very happy with the color I've chosen. I was a bit worried that maybe the gold hubs/nipples/headset/seatpost clamp would be too blingy but it seems to be ok to my eye.

Here is a shot of the Pushed RP-23 High Volume shock

A closer look at the headset

Two pictures of the cockpit area with the FSA Gravity handle bar, X-9 shifters and K-24 brake levers

And one final shot of the bike again

Build list;

19" Ventana El Rey in White with gold sparkle coat
    Fox F-29 fork @ 100mm PUSH'ed
    Fox RP-23 High Volume shock PUSH'ed
    Hadley Hubs front and rear laced to Stan Flow rims set up for tubeless
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires front and rear
    DT SWISS RWS ratchting skewers front and rear
    SRAM X-9 trigger shifters
    SRAM X-9 Front and Rear Derailuers
    Shimano XT Crankset 22t/32t/44t
    SRAM 990 Cassette 11-34
    SRAM PC-991 chain
    Formula K-24 brakes, 200mm front rotor/ 180mm rear rotor
    Thompson Elite Stem 100mm
    Thompson Elite seatpost with setback
    Chris King Headset
    Hope seatpost clamp
    FSA Gravity handlebar with Ergon GP-1 Grips
    Terry Men's Ti Fly saddle

Minor tweaking still needs to be done but I hope to get a good ride in on Monday. Mucho thanks to Larry and Sherwood and Co. for the bike.

Team Fearless Descender
    OMG Zin, that thing is beautiful. I'm loving that white on white. I think I need a "Ray" to go along with my "Salt".

Enjoy the heck out of that thing!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    That is soooooooooo resplendently beautiful...........+10 !!!!!!!!! TIG.

Captain Underpants

nice giant box

Wow, the color is so . . . white.

Very nice, and nicely specced as well, right down to the Gravity bars. Larry does great work, though his shipping box selection skilz are a bit lacking. I would have personally shipped it in a schwinn box.

Please do let us know how the bike rides with the Fox fork. Wish my Hopes would fit that front skewer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What a beauty! Very well done!!!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    NICE!!!!! Turned out killer. BOY do we have some overlap......guess we both have great taste

Rode mine today for a short jaunt and had a blast as usual.....it took many a bike to get me off the single speed and in fact, i rode single speed less than ever now cuz the El Rey is so damn perfect

Weather is amazing right now so will probably do another 20 tomorrow (if my wife lets me of course)

mtbr member
    That is super sexy!!!
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Any idea how much she weighs?

Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_NYC
    if not tubes, i am guessing around 29.0 (mine is 29.5 with almost identical setup, w/ tubes)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfly_NYC
    No, I don't have access to an accurate scale. I don't think it is all that light since I didn't really pick out very light componets. I'll see if I can get it weighed at a local shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    OMG Zin, that thing is beautiful. I'm loving that white on white. I think I need a "Ray" to go along with my "Salt".

Enjoy the heck out of that thing!
    I remember looking at your bike a lot when I was trying to decide on color choice, It was a deciding factor as it looks great. Gotta find a nice wheel stand like you have there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    That is soooooooooo resplendently beautiful...........+10 !!!!!!!!! TIG.
    Thanks! I love the white color and I remember you recommended it to me. You got the Endorphin in white right? Fantastic bike there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Wow, the color is so . . . white.

Very nice, and nicely specced as well, right down to the Gravity bars. Larry does great work, though his shipping box selection skilz are a bit lacking. I would have personally shipped it in a schwinn box.

Please do let us know how the bike rides with the Fox fork. Wish my Hopes would fit that front skewer.
    Heh I would have loved a Huffy box as well! As for the Fox fork I'm sure I'll love it but since I'm coming of riding a 1996 Rock Shok Judy SL I'm sure my comments will be all Ahhhhhhh, Ohhhhhhhhh, Ahhhhhhhh with no real information about rebound and compression.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    What a beauty! Very well done!!!
    Thanks! I can't stop smiling just looking at it, I can't imagine riding it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    NICE!!!!! Turned out killer. BOY do we have some overlap......guess we both have great taste

Rode mine today for a short jaunt and had a blast as usual.....it took many a bike to get me off the single speed and in fact, i rode single speed less than ever now cuz the El Rey is so damn perfect

Weather is amazing right now so will probably do another 20 tomorrow (if my wife lets me of course)
    Lol yep both El Rey's are killer, I would love to go for a ride tomorrow but work has some other ideas for my time. You are right about the weather, I love Feb. around here, perfect temperature with very little wind. I am going to ride on Monday around Madonna mountain in San Luis Obispo and hope to get some more pics. Fitting to break in the El Rey there as Sherwood went to college here and rode Madonna all the time and can still tell great stories of back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan
    Lol yep both El Rey's are killer, I would love to go for a ride tomorrow but work has some other ideas for my time. You are right about the weather, I love Feb. around here, perfect temperature with very little wind. I am going to ride on Monday around Madonna mountain in San Luis Obispo and hope to get some more pics. Fitting to break in the El Rey there as Sherwood went to college here and rode Madonna all the time and can still tell great stories of back in the day.
    didnt realize that is where you are at....we gotta hook up maybe half way for a ride.....how far is Santa Barbara South from where you are at? And what riding is South of you that may work?

mtbr member

Nice Ride

Beutiful bike and nice set-up. I'm looking forward to a ride report!