Thread: My El Rey

mtbr member

My El Rey

Had her for two months now. Could not be happier with the bike. Handles all I throw at her. Tight singletrack to light all mountain with no problem. Craftmanship superb! Dudes I can pass this frame down to my son when he is old enough. I have always admired the Ventanas I had seen on the trails. Stiff, quiet, and a beast! My first 29er. Thanks Ventana!

I thought the comment by MBA in their review to the effect of the El Rey being sublime excellence was spot on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My El Rey-p1030424.jpg  

My El Rey-p1030397.jpg  

My El Rey-p1030414.jpg  

My El Rey-p1030408.jpg  

Last edited by Wick; 04-14-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Great build!

Seems like it rides as good as it looks!

mtbr member

Thanks Crisillo

Thanks Crisillo. The El Rey is a great all-rounder. I was expecting many of the issues you hear people discuss about 29ers, front lifting, bad in tight spaces, balance off-etc. I find these not to be present. The El Rey climbs great, very capable in tight singletrack and extremely well balanced. I have been able to clear a very tight multiple switchback on the El Rey that I have only been able to succesfully navigate on my Mojo HD. Have no fear folks this bike can perform.

Team Fearless Descender
    Like Crisillo said, great looking build on that awesome frame! Very nice indeed! Ole!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Neg reppers r my biatches
    nice. i am definitely getting the el rey when i am ready for a FS 29er. best FS bike i ever had was my previous one, miss it sorely and would be more than happy with a previous gen like my last one virtually identically configured.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 04-14-2012 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    That is sexy!!!
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Love the red. Did you get the fork from Ventana as well?

I have about 8 dirt rides on mine. Working on a complete review soon. So far compared to my '08 its not as plush but bobs less and climbs better. Still dialing in the suspension. More predictable when airborne.

mtbr member

Thanks guys

The bike was a build from the awesome folks at Outspokin- Woodstock, GA. They built it from the frame. They are my trusted and long patronized cyclery. Great buisiness-ask for Kevin Posk the owner, he is a great guy! The fork was what they spec Ive always run Fox so I was happy with the float. I swaped the stem from a 110 to a 90, and the bar from a Truvativ to Easton and that is it. The Easton Haven bar is the very best bar I have ever ridden. Took quite a bit of time to dial the suspension in for me. Funny thing is that the MBA review is exactly were I settled-20% sag front and back, and RP23 at 1 -but the thing is sensitive, it has to be just right to be set. If I gain a pound two I better adjust or the bike is not right. Cheers to you all!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick View Post
    The bike was a build from the awesome folks at Outspokin- Woodstock, GA. They built it from the frame. They are my trusted and long patronized cyclery. Great buisiness-ask for Kevin Posk the owner, he is a great guy! The fork was what they spec Ive always run Fox so I was happy with the float. I swaped the stem from a 110 to a 90, and the bar from a Truvativ to Easton and that is it. The Easton Haven bar is the very best bar I have ever ridden. Took quite a bit of time to dial the suspension in for me. Funny thing is that the MBA review is exactly were I settled-20% sag front and back, and RP23 at 1 -but the thing is sensitive, it has to be just right to be set. If I gain a pound two I better adjust or the bike is not right. Cheers to you all!
    Woodstock? Any chance those pics are at Blankets Creek?

Beautiful frame. Thanks for sharing with us. Please post some action pics.

mtbr member

Thanks Stripes

The trails are Chicopee Woods and Bull Mt. Blankets is a great trail system-haven't been there on the El Rey-yet. Good day.

Jeffro
    Dec 2012
    That is an awesome build. Looks fantastic and makes me want one NOW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey Wick, great looking bike. I've been looking hard at the el Rey as a single do-it-all bike for a little XC racing, all mountain riding up in the Pinhoti's, 100-milers, all day at Bull, etc. I read the mountain bike action review and all looks great except the 30lb weight with an XX build and carbon wheelset. I would have hoped for something closer to 24.5-26lbs. Can you give a realistic weight on yours?

Also, I live in Canton around the corner from Blankets and ride Bull and Chicopee regularly. Kevin and the guys at Outspokin' are indeed a great shop. I'd love to take a look at your bike and maybe throw a leg over sometime before dropping the coin.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Great looking bike & I dig the red as well. Is that the upgraded "level 2" candy red color ?

Ballstein Models
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I read the mountain bike action review and all looks great except the 30lb weight with an XX build and carbon wheelset. I would have hoped for something closer to 24.5-26lbs. Can you give a realistic weight on yours?
    That weight has to be a typo. Mine is 25 pounds 11 ounces. See this thread:

Single post to my 2012 El Rey build sheet

My El Rey-ta9esa8u.jpg

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I read the mountain bike action review and all looks great except the 30lb weight with an XX build and carbon wheelset. I would have hoped for something closer to 24.5-26lbs. Can you give a realistic weight on yours?

!
    See my counterpoint post about that review.
    Not only a misprint on weight but, spec as well..
    MBA Review of El Rey (May 2012)
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thats a fantastic ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    That weight has to be a typo. Mine is 25 pounds 11 ounces. See this thread:

Single post to my 2012 El Rey build sheet

Click image for larger version.