My El Rey

Printable View

• 04-13-2012
    Wick
    4 Attachment(s)
    My El Rey
    Had her for two months now. Could not be happier with the bike. Handles all I throw at her. Tight singletrack to light all mountain with no problem. Craftmanship superb! Dudes I can pass this frame down to my son when he is old enough. I have always admired the Ventanas I had seen on the trails. Stiff, quiet, and a beast! My first 29er. Thanks Ventana!

I thought the comment by MBA in their review to the effect of the El Rey being sublime excellence was spot on!
  • 04-13-2012
    crisillo
    Great build!

Seems like it rides as good as it looks! :thumbsup:
  • 04-14-2012
    Wick
    Thanks Crisillo
    Thanks Crisillo. The El Rey is a great all-rounder. I was expecting many of the issues you hear people discuss about 29ers, front lifting, bad in tight spaces, balance off-etc. I find these not to be present. The El Rey climbs great, very capable in tight singletrack and extremely well balanced. I have been able to clear a very tight multiple switchback on the El Rey that I have only been able to succesfully navigate on my Mojo HD. Have no fear folks this bike can perform.
  • 04-14-2012
    El Salt
    Like Crisillo said, great looking build on that awesome frame! Very nice indeed! Ole!
  • 04-14-2012
    FoShizzle
    nice. i am definitely getting the el rey when i am ready for a FS 29er. best FS bike i ever had was my previous one, miss it sorely and would be more than happy with a previous gen like my last one virtually identically configured.
  • 04-14-2012
    OldHouseMan
    That is sexy!!!
  • 04-14-2012
    Killrop
    Love the red. Did you get the fork from Ventana as well?

I have about 8 dirt rides on mine. Working on a complete review soon. So far compared to my '08 its not as plush but bobs less and climbs better. Still dialing in the suspension. More predictable when airborne.
  • 04-14-2012
    Wick
    Thanks guys
    The bike was a build from the awesome folks at Outspokin- Woodstock, GA. They built it from the frame. They are my trusted and long patronized cyclery. Great buisiness-ask for Kevin Posk the owner, he is a great guy! The fork was what they spec Ive always run Fox so I was happy with the float. I swaped the stem from a 110 to a 90, and the bar from a Truvativ to Easton and that is it. The Easton Haven bar is the very best bar I have ever ridden. Took quite a bit of time to dial the suspension in for me. Funny thing is that the MBA review is exactly were I settled-20% sag front and back, and RP23 at 1 -but the thing is sensitive, it has to be just right to be set. If I gain a pound two I better adjust or the bike is not right. Cheers to you all!
  • 04-14-2012
    Stripes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wick View Post
    The bike was a build from the awesome folks at Outspokin- Woodstock, GA. They built it from the frame. They are my trusted and long patronized cyclery. Great buisiness-ask for Kevin Posk the owner, he is a great guy! The fork was what they spec Ive always run Fox so I was happy with the float. I swaped the stem from a 110 to a 90, and the bar from a Truvativ to Easton and that is it. The Easton Haven bar is the very best bar I have ever ridden. Took quite a bit of time to dial the suspension in for me. Funny thing is that the MBA review is exactly were I settled-20% sag front and back, and RP23 at 1 -but the thing is sensitive, it has to be just right to be set. If I gain a pound two I better adjust or the bike is not right. Cheers to you all!

Woodstock? Any chance those pics are at Blankets Creek?

Beautiful frame. :) Thanks for sharing with us. Please post some action pics.
  • 04-16-2012
    Wick
    Thanks Stripes
    The trails are Chicopee Woods and Bull Mt. Blankets is a great trail system-haven't been there on the El Rey-yet. Good day.
  • 01-01-2013
    jab63
    That is an awesome build. Looks fantastic and makes me want one NOW!
  • 01-01-2013
    mhopton
    Hey Wick, great looking bike. I've been looking hard at the el Rey as a single do-it-all bike for a little XC racing, all mountain riding up in the Pinhoti's, 100-milers, all day at Bull, etc. I read the mountain bike action review and all looks great except the 30lb weight with an XX build and carbon wheelset. I would have hoped for something closer to 24.5-26lbs. Can you give a realistic weight on yours?

Also, I live in Canton around the corner from Blankets and ride Bull and Chicopee regularly. Kevin and the guys at Outspokin' are indeed a great shop. I'd love to take a look at your bike and maybe throw a leg over sometime before dropping the coin.

thanks!
  • 01-01-2013
    Dave Ferris
    Great looking bike & I dig the red as well. Is that the upgraded "level 2" candy red color ?
  • 01-02-2013
    hogprint
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I read the mountain bike action review and all looks great except the 30lb weight with an XX build and carbon wheelset. I would have hoped for something closer to 24.5-26lbs. Can you give a realistic weight on yours?

That weight has to be a typo. Mine is 25 pounds 11 ounces. See this thread:

Single post to my 2012 El Rey build sheet

Attachment 749942
  • 01-02-2013
    Ciclistagonzo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I read the mountain bike action review and all looks great except the 30lb weight with an XX build and carbon wheelset. I would have hoped for something closer to 24.5-26lbs. Can you give a realistic weight on yours?

!

See my counterpoint post about that review.
    Not only a misprint on weight but, spec as well..
    http://forums.mtbr.com/9201161-post2.html
  • 01-08-2013
    Fachiro1
    Thats a fantastic ride!
  • 01-19-2013
    voodood-jab
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    That weight has to be a typo. Mine is 25 pounds 11 ounces. See this thread:

Single post to my 2012 El Rey build sheet

Attachment 749942

Amazing bike!