Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My El Ciclon has been on a diet....

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  justa 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally finished re-building up my El Ciclon - Santa bought it some new bits ;)

Its even lighter than I hoped it would be....

Full Spec

08 Magura Menja
Avid Ulitmates with Hope 183/160 floating rotors
Cane Creek S8 headset
Easton EA90 90mm stem
Truvativ team carbon O/S riser bars
X0 Shifters
07 X9 rear mech
XTR front mech
Race Face Deus XC cranks
Thomson Masterpiece post
WTB Devo Cro-mo saddle
Salsa flip lock and flip off skewers
Stans Olympic ZTR rims on DT Swiss 240 hubs
Specialized Storm Pro tyres (with stans no tubes kit)
XTR cassette
KMC SL 9 speed chain
Crank brothers Candy SL pedals

See less See more
#8 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
I am interested in hearing feedback on the Magura Fork once you have a few miles under it.
well I had a Magura Laurin before which is the best fork I've ever used. Very nearly as stiff as a 20mm bolt thru thanks to the dual arch....

Plush too and happy to use all its travel.

I swapped to the Menja as this years versions were 180g lighter and the only thing I didn't like about the Laurin was the stupid remote and the Albert select - I prefer a straight forward lock out mounted on the fork...

#13 ·
ajr said:
I think you could make it even lighter if you took off every other knob from the tyres
That is a really nice bike Justin, you done good.
cheers Al :)

I'm hoping that everything is still going to be pretty tough and stiff though - stick some beefier tyres on it and I reckon it will handle the rough stuff just fine...

#18 ·
Those wheels....

....What kind of life are you expecting out of those olympics and are you noticing flex right out the gate? I love weightweenie bling but Ventanas tend reveal the inherent flexiness/stiffness of just about every part on the bike.

justa said:
Finally finished re-building up my El Ciclon - Santa bought it some new bits ;)

Its even lighter than I hoped it would be....

Full Spec

08 Magura Menja
Avid Ulitmates with Hope 183/160 floating rotors
Cane Creek S8 headset
Titec Pluto XC 90mm stem
Truvativ team carbon O/S riser bars
X0 Shifters
07 X9 rear mech
XTR front mech
XTR Cranks
Thomson Masterpiece post
WTB Devo Cro-mo saddle
Salsa flip lock and flip off skewers
Stans Olympic ZTR rims on DT Swiss 240 hubs
Specialized Storm Pro tyres (with stans no tubes kit)
XTR cassette
KMC SL 9 speed chain
Crank brothers Candy SL pedals

#19 ·
el Turtlehead said:
....What kind of life are you expecting out of those olympics and are you noticing flex right out the gate? I love weightweenie bling but Ventanas tend reveal the inherent flexiness/stiffness of just about every part on the bike.
i didnt want to be the buzzkill but yeah, those wheels are not on the manly side. i have stans rims and they are great, but they are of the 28mm persuasion so a lot different

but hey, lets face it, times are changing.....folks want 5"+ travel bikes whether they ride aggro or not (self included). so long as the riding does not exceed the wheel strength, it'll be fine

#20 ·
the wheels were my only concern - I don't to 5 ft hucks but I like to get my wheels off the ground whenever I can..

but so far no problems, I've not noticed any flex and they've stood up to everything I have thrown at them,

I also know a bike journo here in the UK thats been running them for a while with no problems,

I didn't go for the lightest spokes either, oh and the wheel builder is very good...

#22 ·
justa said:
the wheels were my only concern - I don't to 5 ft hucks but I like to get my wheels off the ground whenever I can..

but so far no problems, I've not noticed any flex and they've stood up to everything I have thrown at them,

I also know a bike journo here in the UK thats been running them for a while with no problems,

I didn't go for the lightest spokes either, oh and the wheel builder is very good...
well done! they will be fine.....jerks like me and turtlehead are just jealous so we had to give you grief about SOMETHING :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.