mtbr member
    Dec 2003

My bushing Salty

First I would to say a special thanks to Larry as he put up with phone call after phone call. Very professional right down to the packing of the bike. As for the bike itself I can only think of one word "AWESOME". I can only compare this bike to my only other FS a RacerX 01' prelink. I can't get over the stiffness difference and can only imagine how stiff the double bearing frames are. I had the rear shock upgraded to a 5th element and after a brief 5mile ride I can honestly say it accelerates faster than my X, again keep in mind its a pre-link X frame. Like GreenGiant mentiond the 5th will take sometime to break in and hopefully mine will last awhile to enjoy the bike even more. Overall couldn't be happier with my purchase Sherwood makes some kick butt frames and will be more than happy to purchase another Ventana or trade my Salty when the time comes. Here's a few pics I gather your should be able to make out the parts but feel free to ask and I will post a list. Both mine and Larry's scale came up with 24.25lbs.

Also I just need to shorten up the disc cables once I decide the the stem height.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phippy; 03-27-2004 at 05:46 PM.

Welcome Turner Homers!

Have a build list?

I'm going weight weenie on my Fuego again and am thinking about how I'm going to go about it.

Photos didn't come through for me, by the way. Is it just me?

Glad it all came together. I'm interested to see how the 5th holds up. I really like the AVA on my Fuegomontes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Shylock
    I'm going weight weenie on my Fuego again and am thinking about how I'm going to go about it.

Photos didn't come through for me, by the way. Is it just me?

Glad it all came together. I'm interested to see how the 5th holds up. I really like the AVA on my Fuegomontes.
    Shy the pics should be there, not the best no sun at the time will take some better ones tomorrow. Anyone else having problems with the pics?

mtbr member

By all means

Post a parts spec. Superdust color is super nice.
    Chubbs

There is a difference between the illusion of freedom and the reality of freedom

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs
    Post a parts spec. Superdust color is super nice.
    OK here goes

17" bushing Salty w/chrisking headset=5.82lbs
    Fox 100RLC(brake bosses removed)
    Formula b4 SL+ disc
    XTR crankset/bb/11-34 cass.
    XT fd
    ChrisKing Disco 32 hole hubs/DT Swiss XR 4.1d rims/Sapim CX-ray
    Easton EC 90 composite Monkeylite bar 3/4 rise
    Raceface grips w/locks(like the feel of these alot)
    Sram XO rd/X.9 triggers/PC99 chain
    FSA 115 120x6 stem
    Maxm 420mm seatpost
    Selle San Marco Concor Light ti saddle
    Steel race bolt on skewers=65gr.
    Nokian NBX lite tires/Michelin aircomp tubes

Think thats about it. After a quick ride there's a few things I not sure of, first being the triggers as the X.9's shift flawlessly but I've always had grippy's and this thumb shifting feels weird. Second, the Nokians feel really light in all but just might be to skinny for the terrains around my area.

Better pics later today

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Some better pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baller/Biker

How's the maintenance on a Salt after couple of years?

I'm ready for the jump to full suspension and I would like a Salt with 4 inches of travel front and rear. I ride mostly single track with lots of steep short tech hills so my hard tail isn't cutting it any more. I did ride a flux last weekend for my first ride on anything other than a hardtail. I'll have to say, I rode up hills with more speed (seated) and with less tire spin than ever before.. could and would I get the same results from a Salt (rp23) and quad upgrades included. I have been looking at the Ciclon but I dont think I need 5 inches nor do I want the extra weight that comes along with the beautiful package

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Get the Salt!

You should have the same results on the El Saltemontes with a bit better stiffness. I have a Burner with 4" rockers and an RP 23. I also have an El Fuego bushing with Float AVA. As far as reliability goes - I just had the bushings done for the 1st time after 7 years!
    I just finished building an El Salt w/ 5" rockers. Ventana's are generally stiffer lateraly due to the short links which make them not quite as plush at low speed as a Turner. Ventana's also tend to be a bit lighter. I would go for the Ventana over a Turner. They are 1 level higher on finish detail and the customer service is off the charts!

mtbr member
    Are the bushings something new offered by ventana? Are they to shave weight?

mtbr member
    Ah, I see this thread came from the boneyard.

just along for the ride
    If you plan to do more than 2K miles a year at 5K you might be getting a new rear tri, but hey its all good and just more $
    05 Salty broken swingarm

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    If you plan to do more than 2K miles a year at 5K you might be getting a new rear tri, but hey its all good and just more $
    05 Salty broken swingarm
    Give. It. A. Rest.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking