Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

My 2012 El Chucho

Have 5 rides on it already. It is not exactly what I thought it would be, but in a good way. The slack front end combined with the 26 inch rear and short chainstays makes for one the most fun bikes I have ever had. Manualing and Bunny Hops are so easy as well transitions from doubles.

The re-design on the suspension works better then advertised, no pedal bob that is noticed. Very plush when you hit a drop and still soaks up all the little chatter. Very happy with the bike and if you were sitting on the fence would not hesitate to recommend one.

This is designed to be a fun trail bike with it leaning towards AM/FR in its manners, if you are looking into racing this is not the bike. That being said, if you are looking for a bike that is all around fun GET IT!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Awesome! What size is it? Can one find the geo numbers somewhere....?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Awesome! What size is it? Can one find the geo numbers somewhere....?
    It is a 19, can measure it later for you. The HT angle is 69. Any specific numbers you want?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks!
    I am curious about the ETT, BB height and A/C fork length. Are they the same as the "old" model?

Keep on Rockin...

Nice bike....

Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post

Have 5 rides on it already. It is not exactly what I thought it would be, but in a good way. The slack front end combined with the 26 inch rear and short chainstays makes for one the most fun bikes I have ever had. Manualing and Bunny Hops are so easy as well transitions from doubles.

The re-design on the suspension works better then advertised, no pedal bob that is noticed. Very plush when you hit a drop and still soaks up all the little chatter. Very happy with the bike and if you were sitting on the fence would not hesitate to recommend one.

This is designed to be a fun trail bike with it leaning towards AM/FR in its manners, if you are looking into racing this is not the bike. That being said, if you are looking for a bike that is all around fun GET IT!
    The Chucho is at the top of my list for my next frame purchase. But pulling the trigger on a speciality item like a 6-niner Ventana is not something I can easily do without a test ride.

Your stats say your also on 2 Gary Fishers. How does the this bike compare - especially in regards to the 6-niner platform. What are your impressions on how this bike rides due to the two different wheel sizes, or is that less of an issue than one might expect? How were your expectations as to how this bike would ride compared to what it ended up being?

My only concern with this bike is the slack STA and how it would put a rider with long legs too far back over the rear axel - on a bike with short chainstays already. I like steeper STAs and thats some that can be had by going custom geo, so I'm told.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Those curves look great in White.....

....Why is that? I otherwise have had a hard time digesting that Top Tube shape.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The Chucho is at the top of my list for my next frame purchase. But pulling the trigger on a speciality item like a 6-niner Ventana is not something I can easily do without a test ride.

Your stats say your also on 2 Gary Fishers. How does the this bike compare - especially in regards to the 6-niner platform. What are your impressions on how this bike rides due to the two different wheel sizes, or is that less of an issue than one might expect? How were your expectations as to how this bike would ride compared to what it ended up being?

My only concern with this bike is the slack STA and how it would put a rider with long legs too far back over the rear axel - on a bike with short chainstays already. I like steeper STAs and thats some that can be had by going custom geo, so I'm told.

Thanks in advance.
    I have struggled myself over the last 2 years on buying this bike. I owned a TREK 69er FS 5 years ago and really liked the ride but just seemed to have not enough travel.

It is nothing like the TREK or any of the GF's I have owned, in fact over the years I cannot think of another bike that is even close or set up like it. The closest bike that comes to mind is an Ellsworth Moment (Chucho pedals differently and feels more slack). You definately sit way back on the bike, in fact it almost feels like you are on the top of the rear wheel. But that is where the beauty of the bike is. It has been a long time that a bike just put a grin on my face like this has. The first 2 rides I was having trouble climbing and descending on it, just felt off. Used to the GF where you have to work the bike around corners and obstacles. Chucho wants to hit and ride over everything.

There are a set of stairs near one of our trails that are 20 steps separated by 10 feet of concrete then 20 more steps. I usually get some speed and clear the first 4 steps then ride out the rest. First time on Chucho and I cleared the first 20 steps landing on the flat concrete and then almost cleared the second set of steps and the bike felt like I dropped off a curb. Scared the crap out of myself, did not expect the bike to get so much lift. After that I hit a freeride section up (that I hardly ever ride) and cleared every obstacle. Spoke with Sherwood the other day and he said it is designed for 10ft drops if you wanted.

I expected the bike to be a cross country bike with some extra travel. Similar to my Rumblefish. What it ended up being is a bike that can pedal uphill (did 4000ft of climbing with it last Tuesday) but has the mannerisms of a DH bike. The one thing that really stands out is the lack of pedal bob, really expected with the single pivot to have some bob. The travel feels bottomless but at the same time whether standing or sitting there is no noticeble bobbing. Really makes you notice on the Rumblefish how much wasted energy there was. And cant really notice the 2 wheel sizes except on a couple of trails (climbing) that the smaller rear wheel did not roll over as easily on some larger roots and rocks.

Hope this helps, without riding one it is really hard to explain how it feels. I honestly can say I do not think I will ever sell it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Thanks!
    I am curious about the ETT, BB height and A/C fork length. Are they the same as the "old" model?
    ETT is 24.5, BB is 14 to center. A/C is going to will have to do with what model fork you use. It currently has a 2011 REBA XX 120mm on it. Also the CS is 16.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Dang, that is a nice and fun looking bike. How are you liking those amclassic wheels? Running them tubeless? Curious about those - have a couple sets of their road hoops but never any of the mtb.

Your description of the ride makes it hard to resist this bike. Been on a 29er for a while, sold my last 26er a while back and been looking for something just like you described in the ride report. Also been considering a Ventana. Your post is going to cause me all sorts of angst while I save up and plot a way to get one of these...have you been on any other 69ers that you can compare it to?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Dang, that is a nice and fun looking bike. How are you liking those amclassic wheels? Running them tubeless? Curious about those - have a couple sets of their road hoops but never any of the mtb.

Your description of the ride makes it hard to resist this bike. Been on a 29er for a while, sold my last 26er a while back and been looking for something just like you described in the ride report. Also been considering a Ventana. Your post is going to cause me all sorts of angst while I save up and plot a way to get one of these...have you been on any other 69ers that you can compare it to?
    I have been using AM Classic for over 7 years. Have 3 bikes now with all AM Classic. Have tried every wheel out there but always come back to them. Work better then Stan's Tubeless and are light and can take a beating. If you look at the front wheel (you will not find one anywhere) I had AC build their MTB rim to a 20mm Thru Axle hub.

The only other 69er I had was the TREK Top Fuel 69er. If was a nice bike but always felt just a little off. The Ventana actually blows it away.

Keep on Rockin...

Thanks for the nice report....

I have struggled myself over the last 2 years on buying this bike. I owned a TREK 69er FS 5 years ago and really liked the ride but just seemed to have not enough travel.

It is nothing like the TREK or any of the GF's I have owned, in fact over the years I cannot think of another bike that is even close or set up like it. The closest bike that comes to mind is an Ellsworth Moment (Chucho pedals differently and feels more slack). You definately sit way back on the bike, in fact it almost feels like you are on the top of the rear wheel. But that is where the beauty of the bike is. It has been a long time that a bike just put a grin on my face like this has. The first 2 rides I was having trouble climbing and descending on it, just felt off. Used to the GF where you have to work the bike around corners and obstacles. Chucho wants to hit and ride over everything.

There are a set of stairs near one of our trails that are 20 steps separated by 10 feet of concrete then 20 more steps. I usually get some speed and clear the first 4 steps then ride out the rest. First time on Chucho and I cleared the first 20 steps landing on the flat concrete and then almost cleared the second set of steps and the bike felt like I dropped off a curb. Scared the crap out of myself, did not expect the bike to get so much lift. After that I hit a freeride section up (that I hardly ever ride) and cleared every obstacle. Spoke with Sherwood the other day and he said it is designed for 10ft drops if you wanted.

I expected the bike to be a cross country bike with some extra travel. Similar to my Rumblefish. What it ended up being is a bike that can pedal uphill (did 4000ft of climbing with it last Tuesday) but has the mannerisms of a DH bike. The one thing that really stands out is the lack of pedal bob, really expected with the single pivot to have some bob. The travel feels bottomless but at the same time whether standing or sitting there is no noticeble bobbing. Really makes you notice on the Rumblefish how much wasted energy there was. And cant really notice the 2 wheel sizes except on a couple of trails (climbing) that the smaller rear wheel did not roll over as easily on some larger roots and rocks.

Hope this helps, without riding one it is really hard to explain how it feels. I honestly can say I do not think I will ever sell it.
    Does the rear weight bias make it difficult to keep the front end down on climbs? (That's why I'm looking at a custom steeper STA)

Was your model designed around a 120 or 140mm fork?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ETT is 24.5, BB is 14 to center. A/C is going to will have to do with what model fork you use. It currently has a 2011 REBA XX 120mm on it. Also the CS is 16.
    Thanks!!

banned
    Does the rear weight bias make it difficult to keep the front end down on climbs? (That's why I'm looking at a custom steeper STA)

Thanks again.
    Designed around a 120mm fork, no trouble at all keeping the front wheel down, in fact much easier then both GF's I have.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I have been using AM Classic for over 7 years. Have 3 bikes now with all AM Classic. Have tried every wheel out there but always come back to them. Work better then Stan's Tubeless and are light and can take a beating. If you look at the front wheel (you will not find one anywhere) I had AC build their MTB rim to a 20mm Thru Axle hub.

The only other 69er I had was the TREK Top Fuel 69er. If was a nice bike but always felt just a little off. The Ventana actually blows it away.
    Would you say the front end of Chucho is raked out compared to the Trek? The Trek is nice but I've been told it has more of an XC feel to it.

I need to read up on fork options. I have a 20mm TA on my 29er and like the idea of having the same if I build a 69er and for some reason I didn't realize RockShox was still doing the 20mm Maxle but good on them if they are!

banned
    Would you say the front end of Chucho is raked out compared to the Trek? The Trek is nice but I've been told it has more of an XC feel to it.

I need to read up on fork options. I have a 20mm TA on my 29er and like the idea of having the same if I build a 69er and for some reason I didn't realize RockShox was still doing the 20mm Maxle but good on them if they are!
    Yea, it is more raked out then the TREK, the TREK was definately XC only. Chucho is Trail or All Mountain.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Thanks again.
    I would call Sherwood and talk to him about doing a semi-custom Chucho with the angles you want (within reason) base it on a 120mm Fork and maybe the 4 inch rockers w/2.25 stroke shock. So a semi-custom Salty to except a 29er front wheel. How cool would that be......I thought about doing that with a 650B front wheel.

Keep on Rockin...

Cool....

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I would call Sherwood and talk to him about doing a semi-custom Chucho with the angles you want (within reason) base it on a 120mm Fork and maybe the 4 inch rockers w/2.25 stroke shock. So a semi-custom Salty to except a 29er front wheel. How cool would that be......I thought about doing that with a 650B front wheel.
    Actually, I already did talk to the man. My understanding is the stock Chucho is built around a 140mm fork and a 69 degree HTA, and either 140-150mm rear - sounds great to me. I've got very long legs and seems a slack STA would put me too far back over the rear end and seated climbing might make the front end wander. Anyway, sounds like he'd probably be able to do a 74 degree STA custom. Otherwise the bike sounds awsome on paper. I just need a real demo ride before I'd pull the trigger on such a specialty item. Will try to plan my next riding trip to somewhere I could rent a Chucho.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Actually, I already did talk to the man. My understanding is the stock Chucho is built around a 140mm fork and a 69 degree HTA, and either 140-150mm rear - sounds great to me. I've got very long legs and seems a slack STA would put me too far back over the rear end and seated climbing might make the front end wander. Anyway, sounds like he'd probably be able to do a 74 degree STA custom. Otherwise the bike sounds awsome on paper. I just need a real demo ride before I'd pull the trigger on such a specialty item. Will try to plan my next riding trip to somewhere I could rent a Chucho.

Thanks.
    Miker j,

If you actually find some place that does rent chucho's please report.

I've also been staring at this bike for a long time. No problem admitting I'm just too chicken to pull the trigger without a test ride.

Thanks

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Yea, it is more raked out then the TREK, the TREK was definately XC only. Chucho is Trail or All Mountain.
    Thanks man, your posts have been really helpful. Like others here I'm not having any luck finding one of these at an LBS, but I am willing to take the plunge regardless. For your 19" frame - do you mind sharing your height and inseam measurements? I'm running 6'1" and 33.5" and thinking the 19" would be the right size, or maybe I'd want one size up. I guess I can take a tape measure to my 29er and compare to some of the numbers on Ventana's charts.

Proud lame eBiker
    Snergster, et al....I'm in NorCal...ride a 21" Chucho though...but if you'd fit on a 21" you're welcome to 'rent' mine for a weekend or something.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

banned
    Thanks man, your posts have been really helpful. Like others here I'm not having any luck finding one of these at an LBS, but I am willing to take the plunge regardless. For your 19" frame - do you mind sharing your height and inseam measurements? I'm running 6'1" and 33.5" and thinking the 19" would be the right size, or maybe I'd want one size up. I guess I can take a tape measure to my 29er and compare to some of the numbers on Ventana's charts.
    I am 6ft with a 32-32.5 inseam. You can call Sherwood @ Ventana and he will put in the right size frame. I typically like my frames a tad big.

Rode it again today, the more I ride it the harder it is to ride my other bikes. Cant imagine you to be disappointed with one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Internal14,

Please drop me a pm (Im too much of a lurker to send you one) I'm in san jose so we should be able to link up without too much trouble and at 6'2" your bike should be perfect or close enough for me to give it a shot.

thanks

ventanakaz
    nice looking bike, i like the white. looks good man...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    Love that bike. Right now number one on my list for my next bike. I wonder how a Fox Talas would work on it...I do have a problem with my Trek hardtail 69'er lifting its front wheel on steep climbs. It has a 100 mm fork and I know Sherwood was riding his El Chucho with a 100 on the front. This post is really making me want to pull the trigger.

Evil DOC ss
    Santa Cruz Heckler converted to 650b
    Trek 69'er

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire111 View Post
    Love that bike. Right now number one on my list for my next bike. I wonder how a Fox Talas would work on it...I do have a problem with my Trek hardtail 69'er lifting its front wheel on steep climbs. It has a 100 mm fork and I know Sherwood was riding his El Chucho with a 100 on the front. This post is really making me want to pull the trigger.

Evil DOC ss
    Santa Cruz Heckler converted to 650b
    Trek 69'er
    I am running 25mm of spacers with a 15mm riserbar and still no issues keeping the front wheel down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast