mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Monarch shock on an El Ray

The reviews of the Monarch shock are very good. I am looking to improve the responsiveness of the rear end of my El Ray over the current RP23 I have. Anyone try this shock? Is it compatible?

Cheers

Ultra Ventanaphile
    As long as the length and stroke are the same as stock, yes it's compatible. And from the reviews on this site, in particularly the turner board the morarchs are performing quite nicely.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    As long as the length and stroke are the same as stock, yes it's compatible. And from the reviews on this site, in particularly the turner board the morarchs are performing quite nicely.
    The Monarch's look wonderful. The problem I have with ordering one is they have three different types of tunes: low, medium, and high.

Aaron: can you confirm what type you would need from Ventana and if it stays the same through the new frame types as well as the old? You know, since you're over there taking spy shots for us
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    I think the problem is that the El Rey uses a 2" stroke shock with 2.25" piston. I'm not sure RS offers such a model.

Anyways, according to this chart, the El Rey should use a low tune shock (leverage ratio is 2:1, right?)

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Based on that chart, you'd get a 200X50 with A tune for El Rey.

Zono - 2.25" piston piston? What are you refereing to there?
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Well, on my El Rey, the shock never fully compresses. It seems that the piston is longer then the travel of the shock. If I let out all air, I have approx 5mm left on the shock (indicated by the rubber band).

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Well, on my El Rey, the shock never fully compresses. It seems that the piston is longer then the travel of the shock. If I let out all air, I have approx 5mm left on the shock (indicated by the rubber band).
    I get what you are saying. What you call a piston, we call a shaft. The Piston are inside and are part of the hydraulics.(to us)

The reason you have shaft leftover is because FOX uses the same Chassis for the both the 200 x 57 and 200 x 50 Shocks. I bet if you measure from the O-ring to the scraper seal, you'll be right about 46-mm. Fox uses a conical rubber grommet for bottom out protection, it takes a VERY hard hit or load to actually compress that and get all 50mm of travel. (No, letting the air out and squishing it down with your body weight won't do it)

Pretty much every air shock is going to have the same deal, I know I have back up Manitou Air Shocks (2) that bottom out at ~ 5mm before full travel. Willing to bet Monarchs do something similar.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks folks! Good info and possibilities.