Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Captain Underpants

Mmmmmm, new El Padrino

Well, here it is. New 22” El Padrino. Built to replace both my Inbred and Sultan*. I wanted a Hardtail, with a 24.5” top tube, but wanted to avoid the typical 19” seatube/frame that seems to be the norm with that TT length. I think Sherwood has the right idea in building 29ers with shorter top tubes—at least it will work for me, or anyone with longer legs/shorter torso**. New parts include the F29 and a set of XT brakes—I had tried a set on a test ride a while back and was really impressed by their feel and stopping power.

Out of the box the frame is impressive. Every weld is perfect, cable bosses and guides are in the right spots, and the powedercoat is absolutely delicious. Same goes for the design work. Every piece appears perfectly proportioned and balanced. The frame just looks right***. To say that I am impressed is an understatement.

Build went together pretty easily, Did get some nasty chain suck when setting up the FD (note to self, don’t test ride in the dark) which left a scratch, but hey, it’s a bike. Cable guide and bosses are perfect, I needed to add only a few small pieces of clear tape to prevent frame rub. Post mounts were a breeze to set up, as was the fork. The Free Stroke adjustment on the brakes is a nice bonus. Should have gone with an XTR FD, but the XT ain’t bad. I need a new stem and may need to trim the rear brake cable and steertube back a bit more. I might also add a Moots seatpost.

Build:
    El Padrino 22”
    Fox F29 fork set to 80mm
    XT/X9 Drivetrain
    XT brakes
    Hope Pro II/DT Swiss Comps/Rhyno’s/Ignitor/Rampage
    Build weight 26.75 lbs (I used the weightweenie method of weighing each part individually)

Ride report to follow. Thanks to Sherwood for answering my questions and to Larry for great service, plus putting up with my usual barrage of redundant e-mails. No thanks to UPS for putting a big hole in the shipping container.

CJ

*For the time being
    **Opinion, YMMV
    ***Truth
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow...that is a good looking bike. I really like the color combo.

JB

El Padrino Fit

Just curious how tall you are (and inseam) and what you think of the fit? I am considering a 24" Padrino w/ 6'6", 38" inseam.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Very nice build Beautiful plumage....gotta love that down tube gusset. I also have a 22" El Padrino and wish I did a semi-custom......longer top tube. Other than that it's a great bike.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er
    Just curious how tall you are (and inseam) and what you think of the fit? I am considering a 24" Padrino w/ 6'6", 38" inseam.
    I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam.......I like longer top tubes but other than that it fits me like a glove.....I use a set back post and 120mm stem to compensate for the 24.5" top tube.

One of the great things about Ventana is Sherwood is willing to custom fit the frame to your liking.....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    awesome build!

you will love the brakes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fantastic bike! The only negative thing I do hear from the few reviews or opinions I have come across, is the chainsuck. Is it the wide chainstays?

Regardless, that is a classic- clean, understated, stiff, and well designed. I sure would like one in white or blue or superdust. Congrats!!

mtbr member

Nice!!

You will love it!! i run mine fully rigid and really dig it!!! just curious why you went from a sultan back to a hardtail?? i did the same thing, for some reason the trails i ride the hardtail just seems to rail!!!

bog.

Captain Underpants

Ride report

Picked an easy local trail for the inaugural voyage: Mostly flat fireroad leading to some swoopy singletrack and doubletrack. Nothing challenging, as I have not been on a bike in 3 weeks. Lots of rutted sections, gravel, and road apples.

Overall fit and feel: Almost perfect. Looks like the shorter TT/73.5 STA is perfect for me. The TT/100mm stem combo gives me perfect position on the bike--I can climb out of the saddle without feeling like I'm drivng a bus, I can get back over the saddle, and the bike is easy to throw into turns. I found myself doing very little correcting once I was in a turn--the bike just went where I pointed it. Overall, it feels balanced, light, and responsive.

Fork: Works as advertised. Feels like a Fox. Really stiff right now, but am sure it wil break in. The blowoff works--I left the lockout on and could feel it release when i hit a large rut. It feels perfect on the Padrino, which is no suprise since the frame was designed for a fork just like the F29.

Brakes: Not as grabby or powerful as Louises, but they sure modulate better. I'm sure I'll gain some power once they are broken in. The levers are awesome--highly adjustable, solid feeling, and good looking.

Alu? having come from both a ful sus and steel frame, I was concerned about the ride. Well, it is stiff, but not harsh by any means. I'd even go to say that the ride is similar to the ride of my old Inbred, without all the BB flex. Doubt I will even bother with a Ti seatpost. The stiffness of Alu is really noticable and appreciated on out of the saddle climbs--I found myself climbing in a higher gear most of the time.

The only bad thing about the ride was the rear tire--the Ignitor was very squirrely. May need to toss a Saguro on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Fantastic bike! The only negative thing I do hear from the few reviews or opinions I have come across, is the chainsuck. Is it the wide chainstays?
    In this case, it was operator error--I did not have the FD set up properly.

More pix attached.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    You will love it!! i run mine fully rigid and really dig it!!! just curious why you went from a sultan back to a hardtail?? I did the same thing, for some reason the trails i ride the hardtail just seems to rail!!!

bog.
    Partially for the same reasons as you--there are a lot of trails that I ride that do not require full suspension. I really like to climb out of the saddle, and find that hardtails generally do better. My Sultan turned out to be too big for me (not the fault of the bike) and I wanted to get my sizing issues figured out before I dropped major coin on anther FS frame. The Padrino was the perfect frame to do this on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er
    I'm close to 6"4, 35" inseam or so, and have an average torso length. I also have lower back issues due to back surgery, so a shorter TT works really well for me. I only have 7" of seatpost showing. I'd guess that a 24" would work well for you, you would prob end up with 8" of seatpost, which would not be bad at all. Call Sherwood and see what he thinks--he answered all my questions and then some.

moe.
    Sep 2005

Nice Bike!

Nicebike and build RD! I love the color. I am glad the 08 XT turned out well for you on the brakes. I am finding the same to be true on mine. Here is a brief ride report.

Having been on my El Padrino for three weeks now I have to say I am pleased with the ride and build. I kept the F29 at 100mm with Sherwood's approval due to the new gusset. For desert foothills riding here in the Palms Springs area the slacker HA due to increasedfork length seems to be a good fit. I have not found it difficult to manuever quickly on single track when climbing as I feared I would. I may keep it at 100mm until I ride higher elevations in the Spring where trees are abundant. Also, the bike is stable to the point of surprising myself with how fast I will I get going on the same terrian as my Sultan. The feel is not harsh and preferable to my old Sir Nine which was too flexy/springy for my taste. I like the rear end stiffness when pedaling and find that I just have to stand a bit more over rough stuff. I think having a carbon seat post has helped with the harshness too. I am impressed with the XT gruppo. On my Sultan I have all new XTR except for an older XT FD and '07 X9 RD and XO shifters. The '08 XT shifting is cleaner so now I am tempted to replace the SRAM stuff on the Sultan w/Shimano. In summary I am so glad I did not go with the Niner Air 9...the Ventana just feels right. I have nothing against Niner products but geo on the Ventana was a good gamble for me. Happy riding!
    Last edited by mtntrance; 12-08-2007 at 11:38 PM.
    "These people take a dump that’s a bigger difference than the a 5 Spot and a Blur LTc." DT

Neg reppers r my biatches
    nice! love it! i also love my comandante! Have owned a Dos Niner (POS!), Inbred (great bike), Ninerbikes One 9 (great bike, very questionable quality/implementation) and the Comandante smokes em all. The MOST noticeable thing for me is the Comandantes technical riding ability in comparison to the others. Inbred was second place in this regards. Climbing goes to the One 9 but all around, the Comandante is psick! All they douchebags stating steel is real, etc.....whatever b!tches, this bike rocks. especially on a 29er, where weight is a tangible factor, why the hell not get a ventana and end up with a killer riding bike that DOES not weigh much? probably would NOT go with any other Al maker but the Comdandante/Padrino rides amazing and sherwoods implementation is killer and anybody with half a brain (ie, very few people on the 29er forum) should know its IMPLEMENTATION, not friggin material that is the primary factor in the build/ride

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mtntrance
    Also, the bike is stable to the point of surprising myself with how fast I will I get going on the same terrian as my Sultan. The feel is not harsh and preferable to my old Sir Nine which was too flexy/springy for my taste. I like the rear end stiffness when pedaling and find that I just have to stand a bit more over rough stuff. I think having a carbon seat post has helped with the harshness too.
    Nice ride report. I absolutely dig that blue! My solution on the rougher stuff was to get out of the saddle and use my two built in shock absorbers, but I may eventually go with a Moots. We'll see. Regardless, postitioning on the bike makes it really easy to feel very comfortable out of the saddle, and I like having a non flexy BB. I never once noticed the longer stays, I think they are one of the reasons that the bike feels so stable and handles so well. I spent a few minutes talking with Sherwood about the longer stays, and all I will say is that he has definitely done his homework.

How do you like the Crossmarks so far? I need a new rear tire, the Ignitors don't cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    nice! love it! i also love my comandante! Have owned a Dos Niner (POS!), Inbred (great bike), Ninerbikes One 9 (great bike, very questionable quality/implementation) and the Comandante smokes em all. The MOST noticeable thing for me is the Comandantes technical riding ability in comparison to the others. Inbred was second place in this regards. Climbing goes to the One 9 but all around, the Comandante is psick! All they douchebags stating steel is real, etc.....whatever b!tches, this bike rocks. especially on a 29er, where weight is a tangible factor, why the hell not get a ventana and end up with a killer riding bike that DOES not weigh much? probably would NOT go with any other Al maker but the Comdandante/Padrino rides amazing and sherwoods implementation is killer and anybody with half a brain (ie, very few people on the 29er forum) should know its IMPLEMENTATION, not friggin material that is the primary factor in the build/ride
    You need to post that on the 29er forum, I'd love to see the responses

Coincidentally, It was the picture of your Fomandante that got me thinking about a Ventana. And I don't buy the drivel about steel--frame comfort really comes down to design and construction, in my opinion. I just came off an Inbred, and do not find the Ventana harsh in comparison at all. Stiffer, yes. Personally, Besides, I really don't care for the way most steel frames flex in the BB, whether they be roadbikes or MTB's.

And no kidding about the lightness of Alu. The frame weighed in right at 4lbs (1841g to be exact) so the biku built up right at 26.75 lbs, which is a half pound lighter than the Inbred with a rigid fork. If I dump the heavy rims (once I drop a few more pounds) and go with some flows and lighter tires I could probably lose another pound. Either way, after one ride I am sold.

aka baycat
    GO GET it DIRTY!

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    GO GET it DIRTY!
    Thanks Ryan. Much dirtier after a few rides . . .

Gotta say that I really like the overall size and geo of the bike, having riddent now for about a week. While the TT is only an inch shorter than my last bike, and I'm running a longer stem, the frame def feels smaller, making it much more easier to throw into corners. Yet I don't feel cramped at all, so I know I got the sizing right. The Fox is still really stiff, hoping it will loosen up a bit as I ride more. Am loving the handling, steering is very crisp and responsive, easy to climb out of the saddle in a tall gear, and stable when pointed down.

mtbr member
    Silly question: dos it come with a replaceable rear dropout or not?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Yup, just color matched to the frame.

Ala, the Comondante and Toro's SS specific version.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Yup, just color matched to the frame.

Ala, the Comondante and Toro's SS specific version.
    and i love the dropout for easy opening of my ODouls after a long ride

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling
    Silly question: dos it come with a replaceable rear dropout or not?
    Yes, but sadly, mine does not have the bottle opener . . .

O'Douls is for . . . well, it is just plain WRONG. You should be drinking racer5 . . . . or Moylan's . . . . even Sudwerks is better.

and i love the dropout for easy opening of my ODouls after a long ride
    I'm sorry..but as your Moderator, I must declare Hefeweizen as the official Ventana post-ride beverage of choice ... LOL

After ride beer

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I'm sorry..but as your Moderator, I must declare Hefeweizen as the official Ventana post-ride beverage of choice ... LOL

I prefer a Hummer after my rides!

Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I prefer a Hummer after my rides!

ah..but you ride a Turner

just kidding

ah..but you ride a Turner

just kidding
    sweet! a moderator CAT FIGHT!

sweet! a moderator CAT FIGHT!

Ahrrrrrhrhhrhrhrhrhrrrrrrrrrrrr!

LOL

Ti is addictive
    Ahrrrrrhrhhrhrhrhrhrrrrrrrrrrrr!

LOL

Hey, when do you achieve supermoderator status......You're only the moderator or comoderator on like 4 boards??????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast