Ultra Ventanaphile

MBA Review of El Rey (May 2012)

For those that don't subscribe to MBA or haven't picked it up yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MBA Review of El Rey (May 2012)-mbacover.jpg  

MBA Review of El Rey (May 2012)-mbapg1.jpg  

MBA Review of El Rey (May 2012)-mbapg2.jpg  

MBA Review of El Rey (May 2012)-mbapg3.jpg  

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Ultra Ventanaphile

Article comments.

So the only thing I'd like to counterpoint about the article is about the total weight and wheels. I helped build the bike up, and I too saw the Easton Haven's and was drooling over them, until I noticed that they are the Alu versions, not Carbon.
    So if El Rey spun up to speed so well for them with the heavier Alu version's imagine how well it will with the carbons!
    Second, I know MBA adds pedals to the total weight but I don't think XTR trails add 3lbs.
    We weighed the bike, (Granted sans pedals) to 27.6 lbs. I think the listed weigh might be a typo from the Foes review.

Killrop's 26 ish El Rey with His XX Build and with i9 Arch wheels, back up my numbers.
    -Aaron G.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    $7,025 as tested?!?!?! AYFKM?

Speaks exactly to why this forum, and a lot of MTBR, are ghost towns for the past 6 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Expensive bikes are expensive. Drop the component spec into "good enough" range and you do a lot about that listed price.

That said, we had no qualms about dropping most of the test bike's price on a Ventana S&S El Conquistador de Montanas - frame only! Expensive? Yes. Are there any alternatives, much less cheaper ones? No. Worth it? Absolutely, for more reasons than I could convey here.

As to forum traffic - a not-insignificant portion of Ventana owners stick in the Tandems forum. Might also be the case for 29ers.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy View Post
    $7,025 as tested?!?!?! AYFKM?

Speaks exactly to why this forum, and a lot of MTBR, are ghost towns for the past 6 months.
    A) That's MBA's assumed FULL Retail price, the only part Ventana contributes is the $2100 frame price
    B) MBA is assuming the CARBON Haven's and as noted they are not, which Automatically drops the price at least 1G.

C) How much do you think YOUR TMoto MSRP's for? Frame was 2200, Fork 1G...

But again it's MRSP, I don't know very many folks who actually pay MSRP, we all look for the best deals etc.

Take for instance my recently built Cuervo, MSRP on the Build? $5200. Actually cash outlay from my pocket? $2100. No special deals, all stuff readily available on the interweb or at LBS.

Forum traffic is a bunch of factors, some like Okay mentions are being syphoned off by having SO many forums, and Mtbr in general has declined in views. Economy in general probably has more to do with that. (Less people at work, less access to cpu etc etc)
    -Aaron G.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    very cool aaron

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting article. Wonder why they go on and on about carbon wheels when they aren't carbon wheels. I will say that I don't have any issues climbing out of saddle. In fact, this bike does it better than the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by Killrop View Post
    Interesting article. Wonder why they go on and on about carbon wheels when they aren't carbon wheels. I will say that I don't have any issues climbing out of saddle. In fact, this bike does it better than the older version.
    i will say that my old El Rey climbed better out of the saddle than any FS i have ever owned. i will be searching for an old frame among people dumb enuf to sell it (people dumb like me when i sold mine)

carbon anything is for tools so who cares about the wheels

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    i will say that my old El Rey climbed better out of the saddle than any FS i have ever owned. i will be searching for an old frame among people dumb enuf to sell it (people dumb like me when i sold mine)

carbon anything is for tools so who cares about the wheels
    That's Mr. Tool to you, Fo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    That's Mr. Tool to you, Fo.
    i stand corrected my 2Toolsnotenuf

i hope you guys have a GREAT time at the otter

11 is one louder than 10
    Wish had known the green would look like that! Dig that green quite a bit. I would have gone with that over the orange, and I dig the cosmic orange.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    S I think the listed weigh might be a typo from the Foes review.
    No. THey listed the Foes at 30.4 and the Ventana at 30.1
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    No. THey listed the Foes at 30.4 and the Ventana at 30.1
    Are you trying to be funny or are you that AR to point that out? In either case....

I was using subtle humor. It was reference to "cookie cutter" reviews, where they cut and paste the same over and over.

This does not belay the fact that their weight listed is wrong. 26.81 lbs on my fish scale in my garage this morning (without pedals) with SoCal dirt still all over it.

The bike dwarfs my 20" Salty and is full 4lbs lighter. I wish I had time to ride it today!
    -Aaron G.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Are you trying to be funny or are you that AR to point that out? In either case....

I was using subtle humor. It was reference to "cookie cutter" reviews, where they cut and paste the same over and over.

This does not belay the fact that their weight listed is wrong. 26.81 lbs on my fish scale in my garage this morning (without pedals) with SoCal dirt still all over it.

The bike dwarfs my 20" Salty and is full 4lbs lighter. I wish I had time to ride it today!
    Belay is managing a rope/pulley system. Belie is to give a false appearance.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Ah I see. AR it is!
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Touché!