Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Fearless Descender

May 2008 MBA... El Ciclon Review

...what do ya know about that???
    Last edited by crisillo; 03-25-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added info to title of the thread
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    nothing, what do you know about it?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I know what you mean...I'll have it up in a couple minutes...

here it is...

El Ciclón review

EDIT: Salt, I updated the thread title..I hope you don't mind

mtbr member
    Positive. Truthful. Too much mention of the components and not the frame. States that the bike will last for years in Moab, Sierras or the Northwest and a lifetime anywhere else.

The article also give hommage to the artful design, attention to detail, USA made quality and all mtn capabilities. Mentioned that the bike will become bored on easy trails and handles off camber area as well or better than anything they have tested due to quad bearing stiffness.

The bike tested would not be mainstream for an all mtb build in my opinion. I-9s and XTR components.

I can't wait to turn my Salt/Reba into a Ciclon/Pike.

mtbr member
    Ok, the article beat my synopsis. I hope I paraphrased correctly!

Team Fearless Descender
    "Last edited by crisillo : 1 Minute Ago at 04:32 PM. Reason: added info to title of the thread "

Oh, now, you took all my fun away!!!

Thanks for posting the review!

I just got in, checked the mail and starting flipping the pages... BAM, there it was, a review of a Ventana.

Now all the cool kids will want one!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    "Last edited by crisillo : 1 Minute Ago at 04:32 PM. Reason: added info to title of the thread "

Oh, now, you took all my fun away!!!

Thanks for posting the review!

I just got in, checked the mail and starting flipping the pages... BAM, there it was, a review of a Ventana.

Now all the cool kids will want one!

sorry..I thought that with the full review posted, the beans had already been spilled

mtbr member
    Does this mean that guys on Specialized will no longer ask me "what's a Ventana?"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can't believe that was the first time MBA has been on I9's

They must of run out of flexjumpers to test...

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Scottamontes
    The bike tested would not be mainstream for an all mtb build in my opinion. I-9s and XTR components.
    It's a good thing it was built the way it was for the review, because with a standard XT grouppo, "normal" wheels, and a Pike up front that bike would be over 30lbs, and MBA would then consider it a "freeride" bike. And MBA don't do freeride.

Notice they refer to the extra 2oz. from the quad bearings as a "weight penalty". Two ounces? That's a mouthful of water from a camelbak. They're so silly.

OTOH it's really cool to see Ventana's reviewed in the mags recently, this one, the El Cap in Dirt Rag. Should we expect to see El Cuervo grace the pages of Decline sometime soon?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's a great article. It pretty much sums up my experience so far with my El Ciclon. Nice work MBA! Whoa, what did I just say???

Captain Underpants
    Great write up, the review was very readable--I had to double-check to make sure it was in fact MBA. Nice to see Ventana getting some good press for turning out such a high quality product, and nice to see that the folks at MBA were paying attention when they looked the bike over before the write up. Photos were great too, though their pix are usually pretty good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    good stuff - really pleased to see Ventana getting some recognition, pretty similar to the review in What MTB over here in the UK..

Could someone email me that review please ?

Would be very grateful !

Unfit Norwegian
    An all positive review, there. Great! It really doesn't say much, since MBA always is 100% positive when testing "boutique" bikes, but still.

It's great that Ventana gets the publicity and recognition, of course,

mtbr member
    This latest issue also has a very enlightening "test" which determines that carbon bars are better at vibration damping than aluminum. Wow, these guys are on top of it.

But nice to see a Ventana.

mtbr member
    Personally, I tend to find bike reviews in magazines almost useless. I don't know any bike that doesn't have any weakness and yet you pick up a magazine and you find nothing but glowing reviews. What's the point?

Engineering design is all about compromises but these compromises are never emphasized. To me, that would be useful information when shopping for a new bike.

Regardless, it's nice to see rags paying attention to "small fish" like Ventana in the ocean of Trek and Specialized. And the detail shots of Ventana's always look like a work of art!

Shot Down in Flames...
    I guess buying those ads finally paid off. The good thing is that it gets the Ventana name some exposure. Sherwood & Co. definitely deserve that.

The bad thing is that MBA consistently fails to fact check their articles. The 17" has a 24" TT??!! Their copy editor needs pull the geometry chart and cross check it.

I see stuff like that in every issue.

Another thing, I don't give a rat's ass about the tires, wheels, fork etc. unless it directly relates to the frame they are reviewing.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock

The bad thing is that MBA consistently fails to fact check their articles. The 17" has a 24" TT??!! Their copy editor needs pull the geometry chart and cross check it.

I see stuff like that in every issue.

I see that ETTs are usually longer on MBA than on the manufacturer's site... I wonder how they measure (it was also the case on the 2 times they reviewed the Yeti 575)

mtbr member
    Chainstay is also listed as 16.75" on the MBA specs. I think it is 17" per the website.

Maybe they use effective chainstay?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Chainstays are measured from the Center of the BB to the Center of the rear axle so not sure how they would screw that up. I noticed the 24" ETT as well. I'm not sure where they measure the imaginary horizontal line. I know Sherwood measures from the top of the head tube at the center. If they measure from the top of the Stem, I could see the length growing by 1/3rd of an inch. (The further up the two axis (head tube- seat tube) you go the more they diverge away from each other.)
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Another thing, I don't give a rat's ass about the tires, wheels, fork etc. unless it directly relates to the frame they are reviewing.
    D.
    Exactly! That goes directly to the point I was making earlier.

For example, look at what they say about braking, all the comments are pertinent to the performance of Magura brakes and not the behavior of the El Ciclon under braking (other then the stiffness point). They could have looked for braking induced stiffening of the suspension and brake squat on the trail and they could have quantified it on the bench.

Does the El Ciclon suspension action suffer under braking? I can only assume it doesn't but the article doesn't provide any information.

long standing member
    I wonder if MBA is so used to doing reviews on bikes that come as completes, fully kitted up, that they don't realize that the spec their test bike has isn't necessarily what other owners will have. The in depth discussion/review of the parts makes sense on a complete, but seems to take a little emphasis away from the review of the frame in an article like this.

Surprising review from MBA actually.

I like it...not to mention that is a beautiful Ciclon...makes me want one again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    aahhhhh someone please email it too me ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast