Maxxis Hi-Roller vs. Schwalbe Big Betty

A friend (Hambone) hooked me up with a Maxxis High Roller to give a try. Since I was in a rush to get the Specialized Eskars off (THEY SUCK!), I put it on the rear with a triple compound Big Betty I had laying around up front. What surprised me the most, was the High Roller (2.35 single ply) is much smaller than the Betty (2.4). Just goes to show how tire sizes can differ across brands. The UST (lust) version that SSINGA put on is even narrower at 2.35!

Chad is sending me two UST Big Betty's as soon as they come in for the Terremoto.

Bodhisattva
    Yes, maxxis tires tend to run small for size compared with a Schwalbe.

For most of last summer I ran the Betty upfront with a Maxxis DHF (yes, F) 2.35 in the rear. I gave up very little grip but dropped rolling resistance & weight and it held up well. Conditions here on the CO are loose bordering on sandy.

Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    Like Squeak said the Maxxis run small, except the Advantage 2.4 which is huge, but I find the traction great. I'm running a 2.4 Advantage up front with a DHR 2.35 in the back and these tires really hook up. I'm interested in trying the High Roller as I've heard a lot of good things about them.

fried stuff with cheese
    I ran the UST 2.3 Maxxis HR's. Couldn't believe how small they run. They seemed smaller than the 2.1 Nevegal that they replaced. I find this odd as the Adv is a huge tire listed as a 2.4. I did hear that Maxxis is going to start labeling tires more consistently in future so that's a good start.
    Egg

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Betty rocks!

not so super...
    did you ride it yet RS? You'll be surprised at how well that little 2.35 HR hooks up. You loose the advantage of the large Betty volume but it's not a bad tire.

...and yes, the LUST 2.35 came in at 2.15" or something close to that.
    Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    did you ride it yet RS? You'll be surprised at how well that little 2.35 HR hooks up. You loose the advantage of the large Betty volume but it's not a bad tire.

...and yes, the LUST 2.35 came in at 2.15" or something close to that.
    It won't quit raining....

i'm running HR front and back and I have absolutely no problems in the corners and they roll well. They are a bit small but they're not so bad.
    Will I gain some rolling resistance with the Bettys &/or ADvantages?

not so super...
    I think the Betty rolls slightly better....YMMV
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I find High Rollers (UST 2.35") have loads of grip (especially the Super Tacky), but very high rolling resistance compared to other similar weight tyres. I thought the LUST version might help, but it still rolls like it's in treacle. I still like them, but find them too much of a compromise for all-round trail riding. I'm still running them, but at much higher pressure for most rides (40 psi rather than my usual sub 30 psi) to trade grip for rolling resistance. It works, but it's a bit of a bodge and the loss in grip at the higher pressure is quite significant.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]