Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Marble Peak....to El Rey...

Hi there Ventanaphiles.

Iím just a wee bit excited about this winters project and I thought Iíd share my excitement. Iíve been riding a Marble Peak sinceÖitís either 97 or 98, I canít remember exactly when I got it. Up until two years ago it had v-brakes on it, in retrospect I should have left it with v-brakes, but live and learn. I was never happy with the BB7ís I put on there, not a whole lot different than the XT brakes I had on there, noisy, plus the wheels I bought were super heavy in comparison. I had a lot of good times on that bike, Itíll be a sad day when I tear it down and ship it to Sherwood. But the time has come to get a new bike. Itís picked out and I have started buying parts for it. Iím getting the El Rey, 19Ē, Super Dust. No painting upgrade, I like the shinny rear triangle. Iím getting the frame sometime in February.

Like I said Iíve started gathering parts. I actually won a pair of X0 brakes last summer, so I bought the matching 2x10 shifters just this last week. Iím getting a set of barely used Hope Pro 2 hubs and going to mate those with Stans No-Tubes Arch Rims. Black rims, black double-butted spokes, red nipples. Iíll go with a Thomson seat post and stem Ė eventuallyÖonce I figure out my riding position. Not sure about bars, I love the look of riser bars, but whatever feels right will be my end goal.

For the remainder of my build Iíve been going back and forth. Except for the fork and headset I guess. They are: Fox F100 RLC Tapered 15QR and Chris King headset. But my drive train. Obviously Iím going Sram 2x10, but I just havenít decided on X0 or X9. I like the look of the X0 parts with the red detailing, but man are those expensive. Iíll probably get the X9 level of chain and cassette, as those parts wear out more, so Iíll not want to have huge expenditures a times of maintenance.

My end goal is a bike that will last me another 15 yearsÖand look good in the process!

I do have a couple of questions for anyone out thereÖ.

1. On the bike trade in, do you send your frame first, the same time yours ships, or within a certain time frame after?
    2. The bottom bracket, how can it accommodate both BB30 and standard threaded bottom brackets, I thought he BB30 was much larger in diameter. Regardless, Iíll get the BB30, I was just wondering thereÖ

Itís lot of fun searching around for parts, looking for deals, bugging friends on their barely used parts binsÖ

I look forward to adding pictures to this thread!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Been riding my El Rey for a few months and loving it...For the fork, I recommend the Fox Talas. Mine is the 95-120 version and it makes a huge difference. I use it at 95 the vast majority of the time, but the 120 setting is handy when the downhills gets fun...Ventana will ship your frame first and then you can swap parts and then ship your old frame back within 2 weeks...No clue on the BB...Have fun and enjoy!

dreamer
    Aug 2006
    I actually went from the Marble Peak to the El Rey..you will be very pleased. I have X-9, and it's pretty sweet, and looks great on my super dust E-Rey. Enjoy!!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo73 View Post
    Hi there Ventanaphiles.

Ö.

1. On the bike trade in, do you send your frame first, the same time yours ships, or within a certain time frame after?
    2. The bottom bracket, how can it accommodate both BB30 and standard threaded bottom brackets, I thought he BB30 was much larger in diameter. Regardless, Iíll get the BB30, I was just wondering thereÖ

Itís lot of fun searching around for parts, looking for deals, bugging friends on their barely used parts binsÖ

I look forward to adding pictures to this thread!
    First and foremost, congrats.

To answer no.2, it's not BB30 it's PF30, and that's key as there are press in adapters that have threads for the threaded BB's. BB30 does not have Press in Adapters, or if there are, are very rare and hard to find, where as Ventana includes the threaded adapter for the PF30 if you need it. (not sure on cost).
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post

To answer no.2, it's not BB30 it's PF30, and that's key as there are press in adapters that have threads for the threaded BB's. BB30 does not have Press in Adapters, or if there are, are very rare and hard to find, where as Ventana includes the threaded adapter for the PF30 if you need it. (not sure on cost).
    Thanks! Back to question 2. What bottom bracket should I be getting? I'm buying new parts, so I can get whatever works best. Sorry - I've been out of the bike part area for a while....it happens when you ride a bike that's 14 years old.

Edit...something like this: 2012 SRAM PF30 Bottom Bracket Assembly - Competitive Cyclist

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post

To answer #1, don't send it back until you get your new frame. Gives you something to ride while you're waiting or you'll make yourself crazy (speaking from experience).

#2. The adapters are something like $35 and Ventana will sell them to you. Been helping my husband spec out a new 2012 Ciclůn
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks! Back to question 2. What bottom bracket should I be getting? I'm buying new parts, so I can get whatever works best. Sorry - I've been out of the bike part area for a while....it happens when you ride a bike that's 14 years old.

Edit...something like this: 2012 SRAM PF30 Bottom Bracket Assembly - Competitive Cyclist
    That's the adapter to put a standard crank. If you are spec'ing all new parts just get a PF30 crankset. X9/X0 are available in that format.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but recently bought a Marble Peak FS with a broken top tube for the parts on it and wanted to see if anyone needed a rear triangle. Its in good shape and will work with rim or disc brakes. The frame measured 17" center to top of top tube. Let me know if this should be posted somewhere else.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well I ordered up the drive train today. I was going back and forth for the last few weeks about X0 or X9 and finally decided that x9 was the price point I belong in.
    Thomson seat post though. I forgot to order the Bottom Bracket thoughÖbut I have plenty of time still. Although with the weather out here right now I could realistically be riding.

Anyway, I hope to have all the parts in by the end of next month!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    . I forgot to order the Bottom Bracket thoughÖbut I have plenty of time still. Although with the weather out here right now I could realistically be riding.

If you ordered a new crankset, it's included. But I'd double check with whoever you ordered it thru.

Congrats, looking forward to seeing pics of it built up. And yeah, crazy beautiful winter weather so far, same as last year though and it turned out to be uber wet Feb-April.
    -Aaron G.

Team Chilidog!
    Well I ordered up the drive train today. I was going back and forth for the last few weeks about X0 or X9 and finally decided that x9 was the price point I belong in.
    Thomson seat post though. I forgot to order the Bottom Bracket thoughÖbut I have plenty of time still. Although with the weather out here right now I could realistically be riding.

Looking forward to the build. Did you already get the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Looking forward to the build. Did you already get the frame?
    I'm not ordering the frame for a month or two. That would just be too painful to see that everyday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Parts are in! I went in to see if they were ordered yet as I was going to add to the order and what do I see but a nice little pile of news parts! You were right Ciclistagonzo, the bottom bracket was included,...although it's the BB30 bottom bracket. So I'll need to get the PF30 bottom bracket. We looked in the book and he didn't have the option to order the PF30 - not sure why, but I'm not to worried about it. I'll see if I can use the BB30 BB as a trade-in towards the PF30. Oh, the chain didn't come in yet either.

I did order the rims today. I'm now only missing the correct bottom bracket, spokes, nipples, tires, cable housing, fork, headset and a FRAME! Hoping to get those last three all together.

With that front der. cable coming straight up from the bottom bracket is there a special housing, or cable end treatment people would recommend to keep the nasties from gumming it up?

Team Chilidog!
    Parts are in! I went in to see if they were ordered yet as I was going to add to the order and what do I see but a nice little pile of news parts! You were right Ciclistagonzo, the bottom bracket was included,...although it's the BB30 bottom bracket. So I'll need to get the PF30 bottom bracket. We looked in the book and he didn't have the option to order the PF30 - not sure why, but I'm not to worried about it. I'll see if I can use the BB30 BB as a trade-in towards the PF30. Oh, the chain didn't come in yet either.

I did order the rims today. I'm now only missing the correct bottom bracket, spokes, nipples, tires, cable housing, fork, headset and a FRAME! Hoping to get those last three all together.

With that front der. cable coming straight up from the bottom bracket is there a special housing, or cable end treatment people would recommend to keep the nasties from gumming it up?
    Can you use a PF30 instead of BB30? Are they compatible cranks? Enquiring minds wanna know

When is your frame due in?

I haven't had any problems with the front derailleur cable getting gummed up, but here's a closeup if it helps:
    Lower pivot and rear shock | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rainy season starts this weekend here in NorCal. So in a weekend or so I should have information for your about the gum-up issues if any.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cranks are the same for PF30 or BB30. Itís just the bottom bracket thatís different. I look forward to hearing your report on the front der. shifting after a few wet rides. Looks like you are getting full travel out of your rear shock!
    Last edited by Endo73; 01-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Team Chilidog!
    Cranks are the same for PF30 or BB30. Itís just the bottom bracket thatís different. I look forward to hearing your report on the front der. shifting after a few wet rides. Looks like you are getting full travel out of your rear shock!
    Thanks for the info on BB30/PF30. I'm still running X-type.

That rear shock, yes, definitely No problems out of the CCDB on it either. I had problems getting full travel out of the air fork, but you can see why I'm partial to coil.

I'll definitely have more information when I ride Ft. Ord over the winter. It probably won't be this weekend as rain is expected through Sunday, and my Sunday plans involve football all day.

So if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, I'll give you a report. Hopefully by then I'll have two reports: one from me and my husband.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another part on order. PF30 bottom bracket. I am on schedule and now within 30 days of my frame order! Next up is headset and fork.

A question on headsets. I want Chris King but am confused at what I'm supposed to get. The inset one? or not? So many choices.

I guess I'm decided on the Fox Talas F29 FIT 95-120. Any feedback on that one would be appreciated. I'm going fox - that is certain, and I like the look of the black fork matching the rear shock. Hence the reason I've chosen the Talas....they seem to be the only 2012's in black.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    For my headset, Ventana provided and installed a CK headset for me at an added cost.

Team Chilidog!
    Another part on order. PF30 bottom bracket. I am on schedule and now within 30 days of my frame order! Next up is headset and fork.

A question on headsets. I want Chris King but am confused at what I'm supposed to get. The inset one? or not? So many choices.

I guess I'm decided on the Fox Talas F29 FIT 95-120. Any feedback on that one would be appreciated. I'm going fox - that is certain, and I like the look of the black fork matching the rear shock. Hence the reason I've chosen the Talas....they seem to be the only 2012's in black.
    They take the tapered inset Chris King headsets. The head tube on the 2012s is much better than the older designs.. Not that it matters, but you can definitely see how much metal is in the head tube.

You know, you could buy your Talas and switch to a Float cartridge later if you want.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    T The head tube on the 2012s is much better than the older designs.. Not that it matters, but you can definitely see how much metal is in the head tube.
    The thickness of the material doesn't make it better, it's just appropriately sized for the intended forces it will see.
    The 1 1/8" headtube was an exercise in maximizing stiffness from the least amount of material needed. Head tubes all see lateral loads from the bearings in the headsets, With traditional headsets, the cups themselves dealt with the lateral loads the bearings were exerting. With the inset style, the headtube has to be thicker because the inset cups are much smaller and effectively pass on the load to the headtube. Different designs due to different needs.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Minor update. I got a FSA PF30 Bottom Bracket and the 15mm inserts for my hope hubs. I file my taxes tonight which means in about 10 days I'll be ordering a frame! Woo Hoo. Can't wait to get that tracking number. And yes I am getting the Chris King headset from Teresa...and probably the Talas from my local shop. They'll work with me a little on price, plus that way I'm sure he'll let me try out stems until I find my fit I like.

Tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tires, housing and a bleed kit ordered today. Oh yeah a frame too!!! Woo Hoo can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Today is a good day. My wife texted me and said the frame has arrived. 19Ē El Rey in Super Dust. I canít wait to see it. I got my tires, bleed kit, rims and housing this week as well. I hope to get the hubs this week too. Then next week have the wheels built. That leaves me with the fork. Ugh. So closeÖ.yet so far away still.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Today is a good day. My wife texted me and said the frame has arrived. 19Ē El Rey in Super Dust. I canít wait to see it. I got my tires, bleed kit, rims and housing this week as well. I hope to get the hubs this week too. Then next week have the wheels built. That leaves me with the fork. Ugh. So closeÖ.yet so far away still.
    Congrats! Your excitement has been fun to follow!
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I've pretty much built it up as much as I can right now. Not having a fork really limits what you can do. I've pressed in the bottom bracket and installed he crank. Both derailleurs are installed and I ran the rear cable line and following the Ventana instructions removed the rear shock to install the wood spacer to get the correct relief in the cable housing to allow for rear suspension travel. I bled my rear brake line and loosely installed that. I'm concerned that the standard length brake housing will not be long enough. But that's it. I'm picking up my hubs in the next day or so and will have my wheels built next week. But I'm 3 weeks out for a fork. Every morning and evening I go down to my basement and just stare at the bike. Give the crank a few turns and just admire the beauty of the frame. It is so much more than I hoped for. My old Marble Peak pales in comparison to the beauty and craftsmanship of this frame. It's almost too nice to ride. I can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast