mtbr member
    Sep 2004

... and if we just ... Marble Peak - The Daddy of Em' All

This is my 98 Marble Peak in freeride mode. I've been looking at the new Ventanas and fantasizing about having one (my pal has a new X-5) but this Marble Peak just keeps on going up and over everything in it's path. It's hard to rationalize getting a new frame when this workhorse just keeps kicking ass. I ride 25-30 milers on the rockiest terrain in the NorthEast (Ramapo to Ringwood) and this machine doesn't wince. This is the frame that made the Ventana name legendary and my bike is a testament to the legend. Just wanted to lay down some repect for Sherwood and show off my old beast to you Ventana owners. If you don't already have a Ventana, you should buy one. It can last forever...look at mine.

VVV
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Silver powder coated main frame or polished ?

and are those a set of Topline cranks i see ?

Beautiful bike CR ... 6 years of consistant abuse on technical terrain...wow !! And that's the reason i sell and ride them.

later, Chad
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Topline

Yep, they are Topline cranks.
    The paint on the front triangle was stripped so it's bare aluminum with the polished rear. I got a new rear lower from Sherwood to add the disc brake tab.

VVV

TKR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Reminds me of my old (96) El hab that has also been punished for all those years in Ramapo/RW. It didnt fail, but I finally broke down and got a El Salt. Really wanted more travel and disk brakes.
    I got my El Hab in 96 and until the last 2 years I have always thought it was still one of the best designs and best built FS XC bike out there.
    compare it to the other FS designs of its time, and you wont even see them on the trail anymore. Much less after getting abused in Ramapo/RW/Skyline.
    One friend went through a ProFlex, a DiamondBack full suspension, a Y Bike and finally settled on a Cannondale FS in the time I rode the El Hab. They either broke (ProFlex), were too heavy (DB)or had suspension that just wasnt right (Y Bike).

Suprised I haven't seen you out there. Definitely notice anytime I see another Ventana.

mtbr member

And this is mine

Bought it a couple of years ago, but only put in very few miles mainly because I have been using more of my hardtails and rigids. But this is a necessary weapon for the Alps rides. I also have the disc swingarm, and will also be changing the V-brakes out for the next Alpen tour.

Cannot say much about the feel because this is the only full suspension bike other than I like it.

fishy
    Attached Images Attached Images