mtbr member
    Feb 2011

looking at a new El Saltamontes

I'm looking at buying a 2010 frame from Competitive Cyclist. Would this bike be a good all around trail bike? I have a new Fox RL120mm fork that I will use. Will I need to buy the 5 inch rocker to use this fork, or will the stock 4" be ok? I ride only singletrack and fire roads. What size BB does it take? Sorry for all the question, this frame seems to be a great deal and I just want to make sure that it will work for me.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan59801 View Post
    I'm looking at buying a 2010 frame from Competitive Cyclist. Would this bike be a good all around trail bike? I have a new Fox RL120mm fork that I will use. Will I need to buy the 5 inch rocker to use this fork, or will the stock 4" be ok? I ride only singletrack and fire roads. What size BB does it take? Sorry for all the question, this frame seems to be a great deal and I just want to make sure that it will work for me.
    Buy a 2.25" stroke shock to get 110mm rear travel and drop that fork to 110mm.....perfect XC trail bike.

I had a 2007 Salty with five inch rockers and a 120mm Fox......handled ok but was very light on the front end.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Buy a 2.25" stroke shock to get 110mm rear travel and drop that fork to 110mm.....perfect XC trail bike.

I had a 2007 Salty with five inch rockers and a 120mm Fox......handled ok but was very light on the front end.

I run mine with 2.25in stroke shock and standard rockers for 110mm and a 120mm fork. Works perfect I might lower my fork, but I really like the setup I have.

For the BB size, I think it's a 73mm shell.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I run mine with 2.25in stroke shock and standard rockers for 110mm and a 120mm fork. Works perfect I might lower my fork, but I really like the setup I have.

For the BB size, I think it's a 73mm shell.
    But remember he's buying a 22" frame which means higher Cg so with 120mm he would have the same problems I had......great single track ripper but on the steep climbs that front end was light.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Nathan,

While I am the ORIGINATOR of the 2.25" stroke shock and 110mm rear setup. Forget all that. I went to the longer travel because I was hitting chunkier terrain, and didn't want to go all the way to a Ciclon. (Yet). And for flowy Singletrack I have a custom V hardtail.

The 4" stroke is very good, especially for trail riding on singletrack and fire roads. I would recommend reducing the travel on the Fox to 110mm with a simple installation of a 10mm spacer. This will keep the sharp handling the frame was designed to do for the singletrack rides. Once you've ridden that for a while you can decide if the extra 10mm in the rear is worth the expense of a new rear shock, or sending the current unit to PUSH.

73mm BB as Stripes mentioned, 34.9 Seattube for your derailleur and 27.2mm for Seatpost.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Wink Salty

I have also lengthened the shock stroke to 2.25" with standard 4" rockers, but run a 100 - 120 - 140 TALAS upfront. Best of all worlds, up & down the trail..

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    But remember he's buying a 22" frame

Damn Vince....you clairvoyant or something? Cause nothing in the post says what size he's looking at. Right? Or did I miss something....??
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Damn Vince....you clairvoyant or something? Cause nothing in the post says what size he's looking at. Right? Or did I miss something....??
    Damn Myke, it's in the first sentence of his post! He stated competitive cycles......they only have 22" listed in there 2010 clearance sale the last time I checked. I just did the math 1+1= 1(sqrt1)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info, I pulled the trigger on the Ventana over the weekend. I should have my new frame on Friday. To reduce the travel on the fork to 110mm where do I install the 10mm spacer?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks for the info, I pulled the trigger on the Ventana over the weekend. I should have my new frame on Friday. To reduce the travel on the fork to 110mm where do I install the 10mm spacer?
    Fox experts, help me out, (I own all RS) it's on the Air Piston side near the top Correct?
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The spacer goes in between the spring and topout plate.