Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    377

    Looking to change drivetrain advice?

    I have an El Padrino and am running X9 2 x 10 and I really like the way it works. Only 2 chain rings on the front and it works flawlessly. So I don't feel the need to change it and actually love it. Everytime I get off that bike I have a huge smile on my face.

    I also have a El Bastardo which is running in a 3 x 9 config but want to change it. I am not a big fan of the 3 chain ring front. I do all my riding in Michigan which is mostly rolling terrain with a few hard climbs here and there but nothing that last very long. So I am thinking 1 x 9. It has X0 Sram grip shifters, an X0 back derailuer and an X9 front derailuer. I just think since it has good components why not just get rid of the front chainring and buy a new one, dump the front chainring shifter and turn it into a 1 x 9? What do I need to do this? What do I need to buy to ge the chainring in front running 1 x 9? My cranks are SLX but I actually really like them so don't see the need to change them. Any tech help would be great. Also how much more difficult are my climbs going to be in a 1 x 9 configurations? We don't have too many long climbs here.

    Thanks,

    Chuck
    Last edited by procos; 12-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,199
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I have an El Padrino and am running X9 2 x 10 and I really like the way it works. Only 2 chain rings on the front and it works flawlessly. So I don't feel the need to change it and actually love it. Everytime I get off that bike I have a huge smile on my face.

    I also have a El Bastardo which is running in a 3 x 9 config but want to change it. I am not a big fan of the 3 chain ring front. I do all my riding in Michigan which is mostly rolling terrain with a few hard climbs here and there but nothing that last very long. So I am thinking 1 x 9. It has X0 Sram grip shifters, an X0 back derailuer and an X9 front derailuer. I just think since it has good components why not just get rid of the front chainring and buy a new one, dump the front chainring shifter and turn it into a 1 x 9? What do I need to do this? What do I need to buy to ge the chainring in front running 1 x 9? My cranks are SLX but I actually really like them so don't see the need to change them. Any tech help would be great. Also how much more difficult are my climbs going to be in a 1 x 9 configurations? We don't have too many long climbs here.

    Thanks,

    Chuck
    I think it's a matter of what your rear cassette is. On a light bike like the Padrino, I can run a 11-36 (or 12-36 cassette for a 9 speed) with a 32T chainring in the front and be ok on stuff that's not steep. Even on very steep stuff, I tend to walk it anyway. Note I have 26" wheels, so I guess it depends on how quickly you can accelerate for the 29er.

    If it's a heavy bike like the way I have my Ciclon built, then I have to have a granny (32/22 with 11-36).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

  3. #3
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,130
    One tech tip fo 1X setups is to get a chainring without shift ramps or the shaped teeth. It makes a big difference keeping the chain on especially if you don't want to run a chain guide. Second tech tip, run the chain as short as possible to keep strong tension from the rear der. on the chain, again helps keep the chain on, and usually improves rear shifting.

    As far as climbing feel, one thing to consider is, are you a masher or a spinner? If you make your gear inch range too small going 1x9 with a tight rear cassette range, you'll end up mashing a lot and vice versa.

    You might know this already, but the quick way to figure out gear inches...
    Chainring (teeth) /rear cog (teeth) X wheel diameter = gear inch.

    If I were you, I'd figure out my gear inch range on the Padrino, and see how close to it I can make the Bastardo.

    I considered going 1X9 on my Chiquo (650B) and did the calcs, my 2x 26" bikes have a 17"(climbing) to 76" range, and my Chiquo 1X would have had a 25"- 74.5" gear range. Top gear is a wash, but the 7" low gear jump wasn't my to my liking, especially since I tend to spin more these days.

    Hope this helps.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    377
    I figured out my gear inches. If I got from my 3 x 9 to a 1 x 9 I think it is too much of a jump. I am a spinner and not a masher. Here is what I figured out:

    3 x 9

    Granny Gear - 17.8"
    2nd Gear - 20.1"

    1 x 9

    Granny Gear - 25.8"

    So I think the 8" jump is going to be way too much. I really like my 2 x 10 setup on my Padrino and would change my Bastardo over but the cost would be too much. I guess I'll just keep it at a 3 x 9.

    Chuck

  5. #5
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,130
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I figured out my gear inches. If I got from my 3 x 9 to a 1 x 9 I think it is too much of a jump. I am a spinner and not a masher. Here is what I figured out:

    3 x 9

    Granny Gear - 17.8"
    2nd Gear - 20.1"

    1 x 9

    Granny Gear - 25.8"

    So I think the 8" jump is going to be way too much. I really like my 2 x 10 setup on my Padrino and would change my Bastardo over but the cost would be too much. I guess I'll just keep it at a 3 x 9.

    Chuck
    If you are a spinner, that's a big jump for sure., I'd use the 3 x9 system as long as you can and then when things wear out, you can switch out to 2x10 or whatever since you'll need to spend $$$ anyway.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  6. #6
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I figured out my gear inches. If I got from my 3 x 9 to a 1 x 9 I think it is too much of a jump. I am a spinner and not a masher. Here is what I figured out:

    3 x 9

    Granny Gear - 17.8"
    2nd Gear - 20.1"

    1 x 9

    Granny Gear - 25.8"

    So I think the 8" jump is going to be way too much. I really like my 2 x 10 setup on my Padrino and would change my Bastardo over but the cost would be too much. I guess I'll just keep it at a 3 x 9.

    Chuck
    I think you might surprise yourself with what you can climb in a bigger gear if you give it a try. My usual ride has over 3000' of climbing in about 2.5 hours and I do it on my El Commandante with a 32x19. I do like having a granny gear when it comes to rides with a bunch of climbing over wet roots and slimy rocks, though. Mashing a big gear up that type of climb is asking for trouble.

    A 1x/singlespeed specific chainring like Ciclistagonzo mentioned and a clutch type rear derailleur (SRAM type 2 or Shimano Shadow plus) eliminates the need for a chain guide for most people.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I think you might surprise yourself with what you can climb in a bigger gear if you give it a try. My usual ride has over 3000' of climbing in about 2.5 hours and I do it on my El Commandante with a 32x19. I do like having a granny gear when it comes to rides with a bunch of climbing over wet roots and slimy rocks, though. Mashing a big gear up that type of climb is asking for trouble.

    A 1x/singlespeed specific chainring like Ciclistagonzo mentioned and a clutch type rear derailleur (SRAM type 2 or Shimano Shadow plus) eliminates the need for a chain guide for most people.
    Yeah it will be easy enough to figure out if the 1 x 9 will work. I'll just wait until the spring when I can ride again and ride my trails only using the middle chainring(32). If I have no problem conquering the hills then I know it will work. No sense in changing my bike around until I know I won't miss the smaller front ring.

    And btw I can't use the type 2 without changing my rear cog and getting a new shifter. My bike is currently setup for 9 speed and the type 2 only work for 10 speed.

    Chuck

  8. #8
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    I'm running 1X9 on my Ciclon with a 36t front chainring. I don't think I'll ever use a front derailleur again, at least on dirt. Next season, I'm going with 1X10 to get the clutch rear derailleur. I'll bump up to a 38t too. I've had good results with E13 and Salsa DH rings on this bike and my singlespeeds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking to change drivetrain advice?-1221022010%5B1%5D.jpg  

    Last edited by Vader; 12-21-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •