mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Less is more? UGI Content

So I have my X-5/6 rigged up fairly burly: Saint crank, Marz Z1FR w/ steel steering tube, DHX5 coil, Louise FRs, King/Mavic 321s, and it is great for DH runs, etc., but does tip the scales somewhat north of 19kg according to my LBS' scale. Lately I have noticed that I am taking my Moots YBB out more and more, mostly because it is such a joy to pedal uphill, though it does jar my fillings loose going down with the Marz Marathon Race 80mm fork.

I'd say at this point I take the Moots out 90% of the time. It used to be the Ventana went out 80%... Recently I did a four-hour heavy-uphill loop on the Moots one day, waited a couple of days and took the Ventana on the same loop just to see how it compared--it took half an hour more and I was dead tired when I rolled home. Part of it is 5" of squish vs the YBBs 1" travel in the rear for sure, but the X just felt ponderous compared to the Moots uphill.

I have no intention of changing out the King/Mavic wheelset on the Ventana, but am looking into changing out the fork, crank, and shock. I am thinking about an XTR crank to match the rest of the drivetrain, perhaps a CCDB shock, and no idea about the fork. Comments? I'd hardly consider myself a weight weenie, it's more that the trails I am riding now just don't require such a heavy rig. Well, that and it's been two and a half years since I've had any serious UGI.

The CCDB will help you out a lot on the climbs. That shock is much more efficient and tunable. The 321's are pretty heavy too. I was running those for a short amount of time before my 5.1's and the weight drop in wheels made a huge difference. Which tires are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    WTB MotoRaptors in 2.4. Thing about the 321s is that yeah, they're heavy, but in 2.5 years of heavy use with botched landings, baby-head impacts, etc., they've never needed truing. Not once. The Crossmaxes on the Moots, however...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    The RS Pike and Lyrik seem to be a popular fork. I also think you could shave some weight buy rebuilding those wheels with the 5.1s, XM719 or AeroHeats.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Nope, looking at it wrong. Sorry.

The answer is pretty simple and with two slightly different flavors - El Fuego or Salty.

It's time for a dedicated XC machine.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ah, the divorce option. Yes, I hadn't considered that approach yet. Of course there is always the man-up-and-develop more leg option too...