mtbr member

latest on x5 and rocker/shock options

I initially got my x5 to build up as a 5" coil bike but then the nuerotic "what if?" side got the best of me and it led to trying all kinds of combos

Here's my take, and I will sort of match to fork choice:

fox 5" fork: run the standard rockers and stock air or coil rear shock. This sets the bike up very balanced front and rear, if you want a bit slacker handling go to a Marzocchi 5" fork which will slack you out about a degree

Marzocchi 5" fork: Run the 6" rocker with the standard shock (in my case the Romic and a z1 fr coil) This gives you almost 5.4" of travel and sets the overall geometry of the bike feeling very balanced. The first few rides with the 6" rocker and 8x2.25 shock felt nice and quick handling but I was sort of feeling a bit too jacked up in the rear and wanted about a 1/4" lower in the back of the bike. This does that.

one other nice thing about this option is that the 7 7/8"x2 is a very common sized shock, lots of options to play with

6" fork: 6" rocker and z150

one note: Running the 6" rocker and standard shock, say an air shock would work very well I think with the Maverick American 6" air fork as it's axle to crown height is the same as the z1 fr. I will be getting one to try. That could be a killer setup!

later
    Last edited by hammerheadbikes; 03-21-2004 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

plushness

Is it plusher or the same as the 5" setting? also, did you need to goto a stiffer spring?

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    I initially got my x5 to build up as a 5" coil bike but then the nuerotic "what if?" side got the best of me and it led to trying all kinds of combos

fox 5" fork: run the standard rockers and stock air or coil rear shock. This sets the bike up very balanced front and rear, if you want a bit slacker handling go to a Marzocchi 5" fork which will slack you out about a degree

Marzocchi 5" fork: Run the 6" rocker with the standard shock (in my case the Romic and a z1 fr coil) This gives you almost 5.4" of travel and sets the overall geometry of the bike feeling very balanced. The first few rides with the 6" rocker and 8x2.25 shock felt nice and quick handling but I was sort of feeling a bit too jacked up in the rear and wanted about a 1/4" lower in the back of the bike. This does that.

one other nice thing about this option is that the 7 7/8"x2 is a very common sized shock, lots of options to play with

one note: Running the 6" rocker and standard shock, say an air shock would work very well I think with the Maverick American 6" air fork as it's axle to crown height is the same as the z1 fr. I will be getting one to try. That could be a killer setup!

later

mtbr member
    I would say it's a tad plusher, not because of the extra tad bit of travel per se but it has to increase the leverage ratio a bit
    I ran the same spring, 500lb, me 200lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The 'what if' factor is getting me , too.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes

later
    Just reviving this old thread since I am playing with the same thougts: X5/5" good but the bb's a tad low for the technical and ruff, banging my cranks a lot on rocks. Is it 5.4" with 6" Rocker and regular 7 7/8 Fox Float or does this only happen with a Romic? Are Float and Romic the same length?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by schotter
    Just reviving this old thread since I am playing with the same thougts: X5/5" good but the bb's a tad low for the technical and ruff, banging my cranks a lot on rocks. Is it 5.4" with 6" Rocker and regular 7 7/8 Fox Float or does this only happen with a Romic? Are Float and Romic the same length?
    The stock Float and Romic are both 7-7/8 x 2". That with the longer rockers is a good set-up. Personally I don't like the 6" setup (longer rockers + 8"/2.25" shock), as I think the BB is a little too high and head angle too steep.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    The stock Float and Romic are both 7-7/8 x 2". That with the longer rockers is a good set-up. Personally I don't like the 6" setup (longer rockers + 8"/2.25" shock), as I think the BB is a little too high and head angle too steep.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    I guess longer rockers&7-7/8 x 2" is what I am looking at. Just not sure about the z1, I like the Talas 125mm front/5"rear geometry a lot and would not want to slacken the head angle more.
    Any fork ideas (in between Talas and Z1)? Rode the minute but did not like the spv in front...yeah, I know I should have a look at your other post and drool...
    Last edited by schotter; 06-28-2004 at 12:24 AM.

Model of Grace and Tact
    I've been riding the X5 w/ the 5" shock/ 6" rockers and a Zoke Z1 FR for a few months now and am very pleased w/ it. It has been performing extremely well on the local Fruita and Grand Junction trails.

fwiw~ Gary

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Coil shocks

Has anyone tried any other coil shocks on their X-5 other than the Romic? My Romic has been giving me problems and needs to be sent in and I am looking for for a replacement. Vanilla or Vanilla RC or any news on when the new DHX will be out? A comparison between the Romic and another coil would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member

I have a push van. RC on my x5

I started out with a Romic on there and I loved it, absolutely loved it. Until it blew oil out the compression valve three times (two after warranty fixes, of course). I am still waiting on it to be returned to me. But in the meantime, I was very frustrated that I could not ride my relatively new, sweeeet machine, that I began to look for a used van rc to send in to push. I found one, send it in, and it cost me in total just under 300 bucks (shock plus push upgrade).

First off I want to say that initially, the p. van rc is very similar to the feel of the romic. But there are some differences that make it much better in my opinion.

1. (most important) I am not at all worried about reliability of the p. van rc. I had so much trouble with the romic, I would rather have just about anything else back there. The van rc has a pretty good track record of reliability.

2. When j.r.a. there is about the same level of platform in both shocks. They feel pretty similar in this regard. They have about the same level of small bumb compliance. However, when you are seated climbing, or moving about in the saddle, hit a g-out, or if you are standing and climbing or sprinting, the p. van rc has much better bob control, hands down. It feels much more controled and exact. The romic tends to really move in these situations. With the p. van rc I don't feel like I am really wasting my energy through bobbing in a standing climb. Not that the romic was terrible, but the p. van rc is much better. Besides the relibility thing, this is my favorite characteristic of the shock. It allows me to ride more aggresively.

3. Plushness-They are about dead even here. The Romic might be slightly more plush. Nothing really sticks out. They are both sweet in the plushness category.

Overall, the p. van rc just feels more controled, and has all the good characteristics of the romic, hopefully without the bad. I know alot of people who are very happy with their romics, but for some reason I have just too much trouble. With the p. van rc I am not afraid of oil seeping out of it every ride, but only time will tell on how it holds up. -t

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toad
    I started out with a Romic on there and I loved it, absolutely loved it. Until it blew oil out the compression valve three times (two after warranty fixes, of course). I am still waiting on it to be returned to me. But in the meantime, I was very frustrated that I could not ride my relatively new, sweeeet machine, that I began to look for a used van rc to send in to push. I found one, send it in, and it cost me in total just under 300 bucks (shock plus push upgrade).

First off I want to say that initially, the p. van rc is very similar to the feel of the romic. But there are some differences that make it much better in my opinion.

1. (most important) I am not at all worried about reliability of the p. van rc. I had so much trouble with the romic, I would rather have just about anything else back there. The van rc has a pretty good track record of reliability.

2. When j.r.a. there is about the same level of platform in both shocks. They feel pretty similar in this regard. They have about the same level of small bumb compliance. However, when you are seated climbing, or moving about in the saddle, hit a g-out, or if you are standing and climbing or sprinting, the p. van rc has much better bob control, hands down. It feels much more controled and exact. The romic tends to really move in these situations. With the p. van rc I don't feel like I am really wasting my energy through bobbing in a standing climb. Not that the romic was terrible, but the p. van rc is much better. Besides the relibility thing, this is my favorite characteristic of the shock. It allows me to ride more aggresively.

3. Plushness-They are about dead even here. The Romic might be slightly more plush. Nothing really sticks out. They are both sweet in the plushness category.

Overall, the p. van rc just feels more controled, and has all the good characteristics of the romic, hopefully without the bad. I know alot of people who are very happy with their romics, but for some reason I have just too much trouble. With the p. van rc I am not afraid of oil seeping out of it every ride, but only time will tell on how it holds up. -t

T-

Thanks for the info. I think I will try and do the same. I will be on the lookout for a deal on a RC and have it sent out to PUSH or maybe wait around until the new DHX model is out and hear the reviews on them. In the meantime, the Romic needs to be sent out. Luckily I have another bike to ride while that is being done.
    How long has your Romic been out since you sent it in for service?

A-

mtbr member
    ant-
    It took a little more than two weeks from me sending it out to getting it back -t

Members who have read this thread: 0