conjoinicorned

last post...sizing help / advice...please!

so...i've been reading about ventana for ~10 years. i believe 100% that the ventana philosophy fits me 100%, so i'm buying a "blowout" ciclon from CC.

i want: PLUSH, STIFF, burly, beautiful, and basic. i've ridden all the linkages (worked in shop), ridden 29er FS for 3 years, ready for the change. CC has offered me a fair deal on frame/fork package, which is the only way i can afford to get into the ventana range. my 2 favorite FS bikes ever have been a "faux bar" and a URT (no really, laugh at will, it was a rocky pipeline) so the single pivot doesn't scare me.

anyways...

talked to Sherwood, he's the exact same height and inseam as myself and said i'm really in between sizes (i'm 5'6" and 30" inseam) he has ridden the 15 and 17 with no ill effects,
    there are NO ventanas in canada to swing a leg over, this is a blind purchase. FWIW CC recommends the 15" with a slightly longer stem.

based on my riding style (huge, steep XC climbing, with the odd large 8'+ jump/drop day...) what would all you ventana riders recommend for size? the only reason i ask is riding a 29er for the last 3 years, i'm used to a 23" ETT.......

i ALREADY KNOW which size i'm leaning to, but hey i respect all opinions and hope i get a few...i'm excited to join a small but extremely dedicated group of riders. i have to pull the trigger ASAP as i'm leaving for some field work for the next 3-4 months.

thanks again!
    Last edited by ferday; 12-04-2010 at 01:09 AM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    If I was sizing you up, I'd say the 17", longer Front Center, maybe a 70-90mm stem, will be better for climbing days, which seem to be your preferred riding. And you're used to the 23"TT. The 17" is only a .5" taller Stand over anyway, so no huge difference compared to the 15". Also with the 15" and a 30" inseam you'd have to have quite a bit of Seatpost showing.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    If I was sizing you up, I'd say the 17", longer Front Center, maybe a 70-90mm stem, will be better for climbing days, which seem to be your preferred riding. And you're used to the 23"TT. The 17" is only a .5" taller Stand over anyway, so no huge difference compared to the 15". Also with the 15" and a 30" inseam you'd have to have quite a bit of Seatpost showing.
    This might be a first but I totally agree with Gonzo on this one. I tried to make up the difference in top tube length by using a longer stem and set back post......it didn't work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    This might be a first but I totally agree with Gonzo on this one. I tried to make up the difference in top tube length by using a longer stem and set back post......it didn't work.
    I'm between a medium and large for most frames, and have been happy with both. I've liked the feeling of the smaller frame, easier to move about. But after riding a large Ventana now (semi-custom to have more standover), I can't imagine going back to a smaller frame. I think the set back post and longer stem just aren't optimal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

17"

From my own V experience and that of a few others, you could ride either, but I think you'd find the 15" a tad small after awhile, and would not find 17" at all too large.
    I can also tell you from my own experience, guaranteed, you will have a ton of fun with it!!
    K

ventanakaz

wheelbase

don't forget about wheelbase when picking the size. this is very important on how the bike feels and handles. don't pick a shorter wheelbase than what your used to, It's better to go longer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd go larger, since you are using it for climbing a lot. On the odd day that you are doing drop/jump/park lines, just grab a shorter stem and drop the seat.

I disagree with CC's methodology of using a stem to settle a size issue. The stem should determine more the feel/playfulness of the rig, and the frame should be sized for the rider. Long stems are for road riding.