Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Just how big Ventana is?

Just out of curiosity.

How many frames does Ventana produce each year?

I mean, it's a boutique brand but how big is it compared to others? Turner and such.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    interesting question...I'd like to know too.... I'd expect they would be similar to Nicolai (about 2000 a year).... but I could could be badly mistaken...so better to know from somebody with some authority on the matter

MTB B'dos
    That'd be = 38 bikes a week avg. and I highly doubt that. Would be interesting to know, but what do you know of other companies productions? I'd more guess along maybe 20 a week would be a lot if it's all in house.

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    interesting question...I'd like to know too.... I'd expect they would be similar to Nicolai (about 2000 a year).... but I could could be badly mistaken...so better to know from somebody with some authority on the matter
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

well..the nicolai data I heard it from the horse's mouth when I visited Nicolai with Whafe a couple weeks ago.... we also saw the actual production schedule...it was pretty packed...

I have no idea on Ventana.... Nicolai only builds "ordered bikes" and doesn't have any "frame stock", I have read here that Ventana does have raw triangles in stock and they are painted as orders come in (or something of the sort) on the std. sizes.... so I suppose they could reach those numbers...

I'm curious too

Proud lame eBiker
    800-1200units/year.....would be a pretty good guestimate.

I'm sure you could call Teresa on Monday and she'll tell ya.

Maybe we should start a betting pool, and the one closest to the actual numbers get a free der. hanger or something. mmmmm maybe a headbadge?

Ventana should hire me for promo stuff like this and run it through the website!

this post was done with tongue firmly planted in cheek. ;-p
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Cove builds 4,000 frames a year I was told. Which seems an aweful lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This is something I have wondered before as well...

I once read that they only make about 500 frames a year, but that was a few years back. I am going to guess about 800 now. What does the winner get?

Todd

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    What does the winner get?

Todd

I dunno but I can tell you this....I aint betting because I'll win, and then have to give whatever it is back. Happened already with a Comandante!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Yeah, htat was a sad story. I mean you acted like a gentleman but....

man, a commandante!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Screw being a "gentleman"!
    I would've kept it!

Previous years 500 would have been the high, this year it's over 700. But no where near the 2000 posted before.

In camparo Turner puts out over 2000 frames, and Ellspuke is near or above that as well.
    But both of those brands are mass produced frames. Sorry homers, but when you outsource ALL the construction of the frame it's no longer a boutique brand.
    It's just a boutique "Marketed" frame.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Screw being a "gentleman"!
    I would've kept it!

Previous years 500 would have been the high, this year it's over 700. But no where near the 2000 posted before.

In camparo Turner puts out over 2000 frames, and Ellspuke is near or above that as well.
    But both of those brands are mass produced frames. Sorry homers, but when you outsource ALL the construction of the frame it's no longer a boutique brand.

-A
    I'm not a Homer, but as far as I know, Turners were always outsourced. Didn't Ventana make the first Turner frames? Just because the welders work for a different company, that disqualifies the brand from being a boutique brand? In my mind, it was a small company that made special bikes. Maybe Turner and Ellsbag are approaching Giant and Specialized numbers (I doubt it).
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member

-A
    I would hardly call 2000 frames, mass produced. What is your definition of "boutique"? Small numbers? Hand built? Made in the USA? Far too expensive? Is there an actual definition of 'boutique brand'.

We all no DT puts alot of thought and pride into his frames, and he has an amazing (small) staff on hand. All bikes have great QC and hand inspected. There are not too many companies around that you can call and talk to "the man" himself for a good length of time. His customer service is second to none. He posts on this site all the time. He rides with the Homers (thats dedication, can you imagine hanging with that group for a long weekend?). He even posted a 'Happy Thanksgiving' post in the Turner Forum.

Your remarks above just sound stupid and elitist; right on par with alot of the Homers. They are both great companies. I currently own a Turner and a Giant and love riding both of them. I would love to own a Ventana some day, and a Knolly, and more Turners. They are all money well spent, and you can't go wrong if you know what you want.

Ride On.

TG

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Far too expensive? Is there an actual definition of 'boutique brand'.

TG
    I don't believe anybody has ever come out and made a definitive one. So barring a definitive description or definition it becomes a matter of opinion. So...IMHO "Boutique Brands" should include only those companies where the owner actually builds the frames.
    Jeff Jone, Sycip, Curtlo, Willets etc. etc. they all go to work and SMELL the metal being welded, feel the heat of it, hear the metal being mitered etc. etc daily. They are actually involved in making the frames.

No where did I say anything negative about Turner's bikes, his designs nor his CS, but none of those items nor any of the "merits" that you listed in your middle paragraph have ANYTHING to do with the actual production of the frames.
    Turner does not produce frames, he designs, then markets them. He is no different than say Niner Bikes, no different than even some of the "Big" companies. How, you ask? He designs the frames, and then negotiates his terms with an outside source for the construction of his frames.

And the next time you attack some one personally, by saying they are elitist, you may want to check further, since in my stable I have Ventana's, Schwinn, KHS, Jamis, Raleigh and even a Specialized. Hardly a one brand elitist.

At any rate, got out and enjoy your bike(s) that's the whole point of the sport anyway.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Unfit Norwegian
    No where did I say anything negative about Turner's bikes, his designs nor his CS, but none of those items nor any of the "merits" that you listed in your middle paragraph have ANYTHING to do with the actual production of the frames.
    I'd say that the designer has quite a lot to do with the production.

mtbr member
    I don't believe anybody has ever come out and made a definitive one. So barring a definitive description or definition it becomes a matter of opinion. So...IMHO "Boutique Brands" should include only those companies where the owner actually builds the frames.
    Jeff Jone, Sycip, Curtlo, Willets etc. etc. they all go to work and SMELL the metal being welded, feel the heat of it, hear the metal being mitered etc. etc daily. They are actually involved in making the frames.
    Fair enough, sounds good!

It was not a personal attack, sorry if I came across that way. I just said it "sounds" elitist, did not say you are an elitist.

TG

Homey don't play that!
    Just to make things clear. I know nobody said it and I'm not pointing fingers. You will never hear a bad word about Dave Turner at Ventana. Dave is very respected and liked by the entire staff.

Is there an actual definition of 'boutique brand'? I donno. Never really liked the word "boutique". Sounds to,...you know. I'd call Ventana a "custom frame maker".
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Is there an actual definition of 'boutique brand'? I donno. Never really liked the word "boutique". Sounds to,...you know. I'd call Ventana a "custom frame maker".
    Word up! Ventana is larger then life. I'm digging my El Ciclon.....it's the cat's meow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I also was curious about how many frames ventana makes. The relatively few frames produced + the level of quality of each one coupled with the low-key personalized feel of each purchase defines the botique label in my eyes. I think its admirable the way ventana keeps it real, when in all actuality they could easily sell out and seemingy make more frames/money. Sometimes I wonder why they dont.

TP

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Just to make things clear. I know nobody said it and I'm not pointing fingers. You will never hear a bad word about Dave Turner at Ventana. Dave is very respected and liked by the entire staff.

No doubt.........boutique does sound rather well you know ! No other FS frames I've owned have felt as solid under my 230 lb geared up weight as the Ventanas and that's the main reason I like them and sold all my lame wimpy previous junk ! The fact that Sherwood is personally involved with the actual fabrication process is very commendable ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 11-26-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    boutique sounds very ghey so yeah, turners might be boutique.

and who gives a flying "F" how many are made. My only request is that when my next Ventana is made that Sherwood keep Pauliemon whey the hell away from it since a dry hump is not what I consider semi-custom.

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

and who gives a flying "F" how many are made. My only request is that when my next Ventana is made that Sherwood keep Pauliemon whey the hell away from it since a dry hump is not what I consider semi-custom.
    That's right sweetheart, dry hump is full custom. Your next bike we're farming out to Motiv.
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

just along for the ride
    You are correct Sherwood made the first of the tuner burner typess and word is he might do more turners in the future FWIW. But then again how much can one person weld in a day and keep it up to standards...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    You are correct Sherwood made the first of the tuner burner typess and word is he might do more turners in the future FWIW. But then again how much can one person weld in a day and keep it up to standards...
    What are you saying here?

MTB B'dos
    Yo F'izzle, what ever happened to that Ventana you had lined up to buy, you know the one with big kids wheels, FS? Are you gona finally join us up on the big kids table ? Oh and yeah, damn you can tell your wife returned from her "beauty spa" vacation - poor you Just divorce her, let her keep everything but the bikes and you'll be much happier

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

Last edited by LyNx; 11-28-2007 at 03:38 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yo F'izzle, what ever happened to that Ventana you had lined up to buy, you know the one with big kids wheels, FS? Are you gona finally join us up on the big kids table ? Oh and yeah, damn you can tell your wife returned from her "beauty spa" vacation - poor you Just divorce her, let her keep everything but the bikes and you'll be much happier

It's almost there according to my last chat with "The Fo"
    however he already has a "big wheeled" Fomandante..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast